Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Meet Logan Smith -- Born 11/28/19

46K views 543 replies 34 participants last post by  diane0905 
#1 ·
Good morning! All is happy in our world.

We picked up our sweet new puppy Logan yesterday in Ocala, Florida from Robin Bowen at Prism Goldens.

He is so, so, so sweet.

We traveled six and half hours to get him, which was no biggie, but I was so impressed with how well Logan traveled back with us. He only whimpered once and that was when he had to potty. We stopped much more than that, of course, but this time he meant business. ?

It was so nice to meet Robin and she has been so helpful and informative throughout this process. (P.S. Robin, if you read this -- Brian has carried the puppy around like a baby since we got home and sat in his xpen playing with him. He must be people shy. haha)

These photos are just from our trip home and from last night (I'm in my pajamas, so only a little bit of me ?), but you can see just how precious Logan is. I'm charging my camera battery to get some good photos of Logan as we go along.

Oh -- and besides being a good traveler, he's had no house accidents yet. He goes potty within a minute or so of me putting him on the grass. We went to bed at 10:15 and Logan woke me at 12:50, 4:00, and 6:30. That was a very good job by sweet Logan. I played meditation music for him via Alexa. That's very relaxing even for me. lol He's such a good boy about going quickly and then when I put him back in his crate the first time he zonked again immediately, at 4:00 he whimpered slightly for a couple of minutes, and at 6:30 we got up, went out, ate and went out again. He's been playing and now my husband is about to playpen play with him for a bit.

Oh -- and he's sitting for me pretty well already. A genius puppy, of course. ???

My Cavalier King Charles, Abby, watched from afar last night except when Logan was in my lap and then she came over for petting. This morning I caught her by his xpen wagging her tail and they were sniffing nose to nose. I'm sure she will adjust well. Logan is ready to play with her now. ?

So, I will use this thread to update on Logan as he grows. He's so, so, so sweet! Ooops, said that already. ?

I'm in love. ❤

I can walk myself! ?

Oh, and his registered name is Prism's Lately I've Been Thinking

I chose it from this song/video -- and as good as his name "Logan" ties in is because I have been thinking a lot lately about Luke, life, and how love goes on and on. Plus, I know Luke wants me to be happier and Logan is certainly a big dose of happiness. Also, Logan, West Virginia is where my father is from, so it's a nod to him. He passed away when I was 36 and I'm 58 now. I smile when I think of him.

See less See more
1 5
#5 ·
Yay!!! I am so happy for you, your husband, Abby, and Logan. He is set up for a great life. I am really looking forward to watching a Prism puppy grow up so please keep the pictures coming. Once you've really loved a Golden it is hard to be completely happy without one. I'm so glad Logan has come to heal your hearts and I know Luke would be happy that there is new joy in your home. I love/hate that video.

#8 ·
Thank you!! He just met my daughter and her children (they did so well with him) and is now taking a nap. My oldest granddaughter, Grace, kept saying "Ohhhhhh. He's so cuuuuuuuute." ??

I know Luke would be so happy too! Luke would be playing with him, unlike Abby. lol I'm giving Abby lots of attention too so she will feel secure. She's done a little better today so far. She's not growling or anything -- just ignoring mostly, but is getting braver about approaching today. I'm sure it's an adjustment!

The song is bittersweet to me, but happy too because what a blessing to have a happy life with a Golden. The only part that threw me off at first is the initial young woman as an adolescent. They could have done a better job matching appearance. haha I mostly love the video message though. ?

I will keep posting photos! I love taking photos of my dogs and I think Logan is going to be a poser.

#11 ·
I love seeing sweet Pink Boy (Logan) living his life with you- and you are right, life goes on and on- but it is up to us to honor our lost loves by loving again.
I prolly should have sent a blue lead home instead lol...
but he's pretty enough to be a girl!

Keep working on the sits/downs, and make a game of come with treats and you will have a perfect recall before you know it.They all were sitting and some doing good downs before 6 weeks old even. SMART BABIES!

#13 · (Edited)
I love seeing sweet Pink Boy (Logan) living his life with you- and you are right, life goes on and on- but it is up to us to honor our lost loves by loving again.
I prolly should have sent a blue lead home instead lol...
but he's pretty enough to be a girl!

Keep working on the sits/downs, and make a game of come with treats and you will have a perfect recall before you know it.They all were sitting and some doing good downs before 6 weeks old even. SMART BABIES!
It's fine! I love pink also. People always said "She's so pretty!" talking about Luke. lol His leash and harness were a deep aqua. Logan is certainly a very pretty dog too! Just a gorgeous puppy! You know a puppy is just precious when you get up in the middle of the night and still think, "How sweet!!" ? I couldn't believe how he would settle so easily again when we came back in. Of course, I'm not playing with him in the middle of the night. He's being kind and getting to his business quickly.

I will work with him lots training. I love doing it. I can tell already he's a smart boy!

#16 ·
I have Abby and Logan napping now, so I can get some sleep. Instead I’m playing on my phone. ?

These are my grands. Mom (Brittany) was in there with them. Grace, Charlotte (one Logan was about to nip ?), and Adler. They were very gentle and loved him.

#31 ·
I have Abby and Logan napping now, so I can get some sleep. Instead I’m playing on my phone. ?

These are my grands. Mom (Brittany) was in there with them. Grace, Charlotte (one Logan was about to nip ?), and Adler. They were very gentle and loved him.

View attachment 869483 View attachment 869484 View attachment 869485 View attachment 869486 View attachment 869487 View attachment 869488 View attachment 869489 View attachment 869490
Look at all those happy faces! Your grandchildren are going to have so much fun and Logan is a very loved boy from the looks of it:) Such a lucky boy he is!

#27 ·
Thank you! I just love his sweet face!

And I'm not bragging because it has nothing to do with me (ha) -- and I know it could very well change -- but sweet baby slept from 11:00 to 6:30 this morning and only woke then because I got out of bed. It scared me at first! He's happily playing in his xpen right now after eating and hanging around outside for a bit.

#30 ·
This morning's photo blast -- just ignore me if you must. ?

Little Logan slept through the night and then we went out this morning -- pee and poop -- then back in and had breakfast and water -- then out again -- pee and poop -- then inside to play.

He was so sweet yesterday when I brushed him and so far I've just been finger brushing his teeth with poultry flavored toothpaste. We worked on sit this morning and this afternoon we will do some recall/come and down.

It's real wet in the grass outside this morning, so his coat is a bit damp in these photos.

Oh! And Abby got nose to nose with him today and sniffed with tail wagging, so progress. She's a good girl. Logan also met the neighbor's dog Mocha this morning -- a Shih-Poo -- or however you spell that. Mocha is very sweet, so that was a good socialization. Logan is already the same size as Mocha. lol

Post play:

#34 ·
Logan had his first vet visit today.

They were all smiling like they were smitten once they saw him. The vet tech took him to see the other vet techs and Logan was licking their faces. My vet was grinning and asked me where I got Logan. He then texted a photo of Logan to his wife after asking permission and she said, "I hope that's my Golden Retriever puppy surprise." haha

My vet, Dr. Otis, said the breeder had gone above and beyond to do everything she could to get Logan started out on the right foot. He de-wormed again because he said, in his opinion, that can't be overdone with puppies. No shots today -- those are due February 10th.

Logan weighed 11.8lbs and he said that was perfect. He likes the food I'm feeding Logan and said to feed him according to his weight as per the bag's recommendation. I was already told by Robin what food and amount to feed Logan and he's eating very well.

Dr. Otis said I should not play with or take Luke (ooops! I haven't called him that yet) out of the fenced in portion of my backyard, in his opinion, until Logan is 16 weeks old. I've been letting Logan be in the front yard and we've even walked into the cul de sac island in front of my house. He said there is a high incidence of Parvo in our area and many people simply are not responsible dog owners.

He also said I should wait until 16 weeks for puppy kindergarten, not do 12 weeks, also for the same reason -- safety from Parvo.

Other than that, he gave me his Puppy Plan as far as vaccinations go and asked if and when I plan to neuter Logan. I told him 18 months and he said great -- that works.

Oh -- and he slept through the night again last night!! Sweet Logan!

These are from our visit to the vet this morning:

#38 ·
He is too cute!!! I can't stand it. Rukie and I need one of those. I kept referring to Rukie as she and her for a couple weeks out of old habit.

Reactions: diane0905
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.