Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

161 - 180 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Hello, I just breezed through Logan's thread.....what a beautiful awesome puppy!!! I wish you the best with Logan....I love all his pics. And Abby is awesome...Your grands are gorgeous....what a lovely family Logan found!!!!!! Cant wait to watch him grow!!!!
Awwww! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
A fine looking Golden he is! Congrats...
Our newest pup, Shooter ('Bang' for short) turned 12 weeks this week! We have been able to sleep through all the nights starting this week. He too is a real smart boy...how much joy they bring into our house. We have 6 Grandkids, with 4 living nearby....Puppies and Kids go so very well together....

Thanks for sharing with us...
Oh cool! I'm glad Shooter will have some children to love on him and play with him. Goldens are a joy!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I started teaching Logan "stay" yesterday and he has already picked up on it and is doing great with it today. He's such a smart boy.

He's also extended his sleep time to 7:30 a.m., so he's giving me an extra half hour in the mornings. This puppy knows how to capture my heart. ?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
So cute!

Can Logan telepathically send messages to Noelle to please sleep through the night? ?
Thank you! I hope she starts doing it soon!! She's so sweet. ?

Abby and Logan play so hard during the day, I think they wear each other out.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Morning photos.

It was 25 degrees and Logan was able to discover frost. He liked it.

This is what I've taught Logan (or Logan has learned despite me) so far:

Sit
Down
Stay
Come (with a long line, he runs between my husband and me. Now that I've taught him stay, we may be able to do it with just Logan and me.)
Walk on a leash, but he'll only do that pretty well so far when treats are involved.
Wait (for a treat)
He sits and waits for me to pour his food into his bowl

I need to teach him leave it. Mostly he's just had me pulling things out of his mouth from the yard. lol

I like to teach him shake and Bang, Bang. I've never taught high five, so I may give that a try.

The trainer coming week after next mentioned Touch, which I've never taught. There's a mat game on the Fenzi course I signed up for I want to teach him.

Oh, and he'll switch out toys pretty easily. That was a game on that Fenzi course also.

I guess I'll just work on making all of that more concrete until the trainer comes and we get to go to puppy kindergarten.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Logan is so cute, especially that video of him with Abby.

I love touch! It's super easy to teach (especially since goldens are naturally curious lol) and also super useful.

It's a good attention grabber with the added bonus of being an interactive "game". I use it a lot in any kind of tight space with another dog in close proximity. Kaizer doesn't like strange dogs with rude behaviors all in his space. Kaizer'll be rude right back and I don't want him practicing that behavior (he usually barks, maybe some lip action). I use touch a lot to keep Kaizer with me and having fun so he doesn't pay attention/doesn't notice the other dogs in his space. I work with a lot of reactive/aggressive dogs and have found that touch is really useful in interrupting the dog before it's "fully committed" to reacting.

Touch is a part of our warm up exercises too, before we go in the ring for whatever we're doing. The order is sit, down, spin, turn, wave, touch. Gets him excited and ready to work (in most cases). Those are his favorite "tricks", not necessarily in that order.

I also use touch to teach other tricks. He can open/close a door on cue and I used "touch" (to a target) to start training it. His contacts in agility started with him having a solid nose touch to a target. A sustained nose touch for grooming/vet stuff (that's a work in progress). There's probably a million more uses for touch I haven't even though of yet.

So yeah I'm a huge fan of touch.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Logan is so cute, especially that video of him with Abby.

I love touch! It's super easy to teach (especially since goldens are naturally curious lol) and also super useful.

It's a good attention grabber with the added bonus of being an interactive "game". I use it a lot in any kind of tight space with another dog in close proximity. Kaizer doesn't like strange dogs with rude behaviors all in his space. Kaizer'll be rude right back and I don't want him practicing that behavior (he usually barks, maybe some lip action). I use touch a lot to keep Kaizer with me and having fun so he doesn't pay attention/doesn't notice the other dogs in his space. I work with a lot of reactive/aggressive dogs and have found that touch is really useful in interrupting the dog before it's "fully committed" to reacting.

Touch is a part of our warm up exercises too, before we go in the ring for whatever we're doing. The order is sit, down, spin, turn, wave, touch. Gets him excited and ready to work (in most cases). Those are his favorite "tricks", not necessarily in that order.

I also use touch to teach other tricks. He can open/close a door on cue and I used "touch" (to a target) to start training it. His contacts in agility started with him having a solid nose touch to a target. A sustained nose touch for grooming/vet stuff (that's a work in progress). There's probably a million more uses for touch I haven't even though of yet.

So yeah I'm a huge fan of touch.
Good to know. Thank you for all the information. This is all mostly new to me, so it will be fun to learn along with Logan.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
We've had two days (at least) without potty tinkle accidents. I'm probably jinxing myself. ?

Photos from this morning. His little ear flipped up and it was so cute. He also loves birds.

A neighbor walked by and asked, "Is that your new puppy?! How big is he going to get?!" lol

I told Brian (husband) the man who had seen Luke often acted like he was surprised when I said 70lbs or so. Brian said maybe he doesn't realize Logan is a Golden Retriever. lol

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
He is positively edible. I want to scrunch his face.
He's so sweet and beautiful. He loves us now for sure. He's starting to show more affection and is getting more and more playful. At first I thought it was only going to be Abby he loved. ?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Logan starts his one on one training next Wednesday.

We signed up for puppy kindergarten today and it starts on March 30th.

I took morning photos. The ones on our couch are a tad blurry, but he's smiling so pretty I'll include them anyway.

He's never going to forgive me if I don't let him out there on the cul de sac with Abby soon. Maybe after his shots early next week.

In this one I have his toy up in the air. He's thinking, "Give it back!" lol

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Ha ha, he's looking pretty indignant about that cul de sac. Also wow! He's changing so fast.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Awe. So sweet. How much does Logan weigh? Noelle weighs 19 pounds and it seems so much but I can feel her ribs and see her waist. Everyone keeps telling me she’s built like a boy though. Lol

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Awe. So sweet. How much does Logan weigh? Noelle weighs 19 pounds and it seems so much but I can feel her ribs and see her waist. Everyone keeps telling me she’s built like a boy though. Lol
He goes on a Monday to the doctor. I’d guess 19 or 20. My husband thinks over twenty. I can feel his ribs too. He’s getting taller.

161 - 180 of 362 Posts