Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

521 - 540 of 544 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
That is hilarious!! Stella did that to Noelle when she was 8 weeks old. I have a picture of Stella asleep in a 24” kennel and Noelle asleep on the floor. 😂 And it’s still a moment if you find Noelle casually sleeping in her crate- more likely to find Stella asleep in it!!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #522
That is hilarious!! Stella did that to Noelle when she was 8 weeks old. I have a picture of Stella asleep in a 24” kennel and Noelle asleep on the floor. 😂 And it’s still a moment if you find Noelle casually sleeping in her crate- more likely to find Stella asleep in it!!
I love silly antics. 😅 Goldens are so much fun.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #523
We have rain most of the day today, so Logan and I decided to heck with it. It wasn't terrible this morning and he needs his exercise.

He loves a rain walk anyway and splashing in the puddles.

We have a trip to the vet today for Kennel Cough vaccine. I'll get him weighed and see where we are. I can feel his ribs, but he looks so big in some of these photos. He has a ton of hair for this age.

I talked to a trainer and we are starting next week or the week after. His first pre-agility foundations was canceled due to rain. We would have done it anyway.

He saw his new neighborhood friend today -- Biscuit the Doodle. So sweet! Logan loves Biscuit.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #524 (Edited)
Took Logan to the vet. He will be a year old on 11/29 and weighs 67lbs. Vet said, “He’s gorgeous!! Everything is perfect!” 😀

And, Robin, if you read this the vet also said, "Logan is what I consider to be a perfect Golden Retriever."

I thought you'd like that one. I felt proud like I'm the one who gave birth to him. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
On Biscuit... don't let neighbors 'watch' him anytime you are not around... an intact doodle bitch + your gorgeous boy might be the temptation for them....and lmk when she's spayed and I will send a 'get well soon' biscuit for her.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #526
On Biscuit... don't let neighbors 'watch' him anytime you are not around... an intact doodle bitch + your gorgeous boy might be the temptation for them....and lmk when she's spayed and I will send a 'get well soon' biscuit for her.
Oh, no worries. They've only met with him on leash and I was going to ask her about Biscuit/let her know Logan is intact before any off leash play goes on. I would definitely be there. I've only ever turned him over to that daycare in Cashiers so he could play with other dogs. They are nice and it's a good daycare, but it makes me nervous because I don't like other people watching my dogs. They know he's intact and separate the dogs.

LOL about the biscuit. That's the third Biscuit I know of in the neighborhood. We have a Biscuit two houses over who looks like he weighs around 8lbs tops. He thinks he's Cujo -- a little Terrier of some sort. They leave him in the yard and we have tons of hawks. It drives me nuts.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #527
So, I'm excited to say I volunteered for The Greater Columbia Obedience Club for four hours today.

Logan was signed up for puppy kindergarten way back when he was 16 weeks old, but the virus shut us down. I've found some other training opportunities for him -- not much -- 10 weeks in Brevard in adolescent obedience. I also have found a local trainer to start working with him beginning the first week of December -- weekly for 8 weeks -- and then a lifetime of weekly workshops.

I have checked in with an agility lady, but not sure if I want to do that or not. I'm just checking things out. He'd be pre-agility foundation work anyway because of his age. We'll meet with her on Wednesday weather permitting. She's a bit further away. The GCOC is only 15 minutes from my home.

I just happened a few days ago to check in on the GCOC website. They've been locked down tight except for already existing members being able to use the facilities to work with their dogs. Well, there was an event listed and they were asking for volunteers. I'm a pending member and I need eight hours of volunteer work.

The event was Novice Obedience and All Level Rally Trials, so I signed up to be the door monitor. I immediately got demoted to hall monitor when I arrived (hahaha) because it was my first time and she said the job was too much for someone brand new. All I had to do was keep things rolling with one dog being put into a practice room, one dog being on deck and one being on the course. I could handle those duties. I enjoyed the duty also because I could stand in the doorway and watch all the dogs do their thing, see the judge in action, and get a feel for what goes on. With my initial duty, I would have been outside and not seen any of it so that worked out well.

I met the president of the club and he was very nice. He said they are getting ready to get very small classes going (probably just two dogs at a time) and some private lessons. I showed him Logan's photo and told him about him and how we want to be involved. He said Logan is still young and very malleable so he would get the obedience trainer to call me and set something up for me. He seemed to think obedience would be better for Logan and said some Goldens really excel at it. I have no idea what we can excel at, but I'm very happy to finally get word something is going on at our local club.

It was fun seeing all the dogs and watch them practice and then compete!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Rukie and I took a pre-agility foundation class called working as partners. We loved it and learned a lot about working together. It gave me a whole different way to train with him and was lots of fun. He was right around a year old when we took it and he was the youngest in the class. We did a tiny bit of work on jumps but they were very cognizant of the need to keep the bar low for him due to his age. It was at a step over height.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #529
Rukie and I took a pre-agility foundation class called working as partners. We loved it and learned a lot about working together. It gave me a whole different way to train with him and was lots of fun. He was right around a year old when we took it and he was the youngest in the class. We did a tiny bit of work on jumps but they were very cognizant of the need to keep the bar low for him due to his age. It was at a step over height.
Good to know. I haven’t met this person yet, but will Wednesday. Logan will be one on the 29th. I’m excited about being able to find him some opportunities to give both of us guidance. I think it sounds like fun and I want him to enjoy what we do and enjoy working with me.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Love that sweet face. He gets more gorgeous every month! The word majestic popped into my mind when I saw the first picture.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #533 (Edited)
Today we did a pre-agility foundations class for the first time. Oh my. That was fun! He loved it. He went over a very low gate (hardly a gate) to a target easily and with consistency. He was so perky out there and ready to go, she decided to use the long straight tunnel to just see if he would go through it and he went through it quickly and like it was not intimidating at all. He came back to me easily also once she had him. Then she made it curved and he went through it even without being able to see a person on the other end. Then he went through the curve and over the low gate to the target.

He did not paws up onto a small bowl turned upside down. I think he thought the surface area was too small. When I got him home, he did paws up onto a yoga block for me. We'll work on that. It's been a while since I've taught him paws up and when I did I used my gym step up risers which is at least 12 X 12". We did some other target stuff where his rear feet were up on something and his front paws came off towards the target. He learned that pretty quickly.

One time when we were talking we let him wander off sniffing. He got to the other side of the ring and when I called him to come he came charging over. I appreciate him showing proper behavior in front of new instructors. :ROFLMAO:

We signed up for more. Logan was really enjoying himself and the instructor is super nice.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #535 (Edited)
I took some photos (surprise! lol) of Logan while we were out on our walk yesterday. The fall weather has been gorgeous. Logan needs a bath, but we have rain coming so I may wait. His birthday is coming up and he needs to be all fluffed and pretty to celebrate. I've ordered him a couple of new toys.

His first class with the obedience club is tonight at 7:00. Tomorrow he has agility foundations.

I walked him four miles yesterday and we also played in the backyard by the pool. I was throwing a red rubber ball for him to fetch. It was very bouncy and one time bounced into the pool. Logan is fast and was charging at it, but he stopped on a dime at the edge and was leaning forward in a strong stance. He looked at me and at the ball. lol I told him to wait and I would get it. He did, thank goodness, or bath day would have been yesterday.

We worked on two on, two off and paws up onto a yoga block yesterday.

Oh! Something Logan just seems to know is "slow" -- when I went to the rally and obedience trials I noticed that was something they did on the course. I started just saying "slow" to Logan and going slower and he slows right down until I say let's go again.

·
Super Moderator
3,833 Posts
He looks just fabulous! And! Happy birthday!

Reactions: diane0905

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #537
He looks just fabulous! And! Happy birthday!
Thank you! He's a good boy.

Someone just told me on our walk she wished her dog was as well behaved. Logan has his occasional moments, but her dog was pretty cuckoo at the time. lol Another lady introduced herself and told me she has a wild two year old German Shepherd and can Logan play with him. Ummmm. :ROFLMAO: I need to hook up those two dogs so they can play together. lolol

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #538
So, I really, really like the president of the obedience club here. He taught our lesson last night. It was one on one. He complimented Logan, so that made him seem extra nice. lol Logan knew all the things from intermediate obedience, so he said we would just move on to the advanced class stuff next time! He told me to just show him everything I could think of Logan knows and I went through Logan's talents (lol) -- it was weird because that time can be Logan's witching hour (around 5:00 to 7:00 or so), but Logan felt like putting on a show for this man. It was fun!

He even asked us to do a couple of things we haven't done and Logan must have spoken this man's language. He asked me to take a treat and slow motion take it from up near my face down to Logan's nose. He said the minute Logan went for it to close my hand. I've taught Logan impulse control with a flat hand in the past. Logan didn't budge for that treat. He kept my watching my eyes and ignoring the treat. He's such a good boy. He said Logan was very attentive to whatever I'm doing.

One thing he was acting insane about was the circle of cones in the room. I mean nutty and persistent for a bit. He has cones and we had them in our Brevard obedience class. I told the man I didn't know why he was acting so crazy about the cones. He said each one had essential oils on them for scenting work. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #539
Logan is experiencing his first Christmas tree. So far, it's still standing.

Logan got his birthday bath today. We have rain coming, but he needed a bath and has to be fluffy for his first birthday tomorrow. I'll post his birthday photos tomorrow and then he has graduated from this forum. 😊

He looks a little like Hugh Hefner in his drying coat. It has his name on it and is so cute. I just bought it and put it on him to sop up some of the water and then we headed outside for a blow dry.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
It's hard to believe it's been a year. I repeated that breeding and have his full sister who is named Catkin who's now about 3.5 mo old. She's precious. Never a foot out of place. Happy birthday sweet boy!

521 - 540 of 544 Posts