Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

481 - 500 of 544 Posts

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
The young woman at the daycare today said, "We just love Logan! We can't get over how beautiful he is. His head is perfect!"
I'm not bragging or anything. lol
I 'liked' this post but you know- I really LOVE it.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
I 'liked' this post but you know- I really LOVE it.
Ha -- I actually thought of you when she said it.

In obedience class today we were practicing walking up to other dogs to about a foot apart. He did so good. One of the ladies has a gorgeous Australian Shepherd who is Logan's age. When they came up to us she said, "Logan. Don't tell the rest of the class, but you and (her dog's name/I can't remember) are the most beautiful dogs in this group." lolol

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
We've had a full day today. Logan walked 3.5 miles and we went to obedience class. He is zonked. These are from today's walk:

Logan did great in obedience again today. We did some off leash work and I walked half moons around him. He does that easily when it's just us, but I thought he might break stay because there were five dogs around us, their people, and there is a playground right behind the fence. The kids were out and lively. Logan stayed put. Yay!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
Too funny😅 he’s adorable
Thank you! He's a funny boy. The witch video is long. I couldn't get her to work. lol My mother (RIP) gave her to me either right before my daughter (who is 35) was born or right after. I can't believe she still works. Well, she kind of still works. :)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
Yay!! We had a progress moment today.

I'm back in Columbia and Logan saw a pair of dogs coming (Albus & Mabel) heading our way. Logan usually goes NUTS wanting to meet and greet with them so badly. I said to him, "Walk on Up" as they approached and he looked at me like he comprehended and started walking with me towards them. That's the command we use in obedience class when we practice walking up to other dogs and sitting politely about a foot before we get to them. Logan did it!!! Yay!! PTL!! 😅 I then said, "Okay" to release him and he politely sniffed them and they him. The lady (Gingi) said, "Oh! Look how good he's doing!"

He also had a stellar day on his lead and another lady complimented him when he auto sat and stayed while I talked to her for a few minutes.

It all made me happy. It's nice when all the work pays off.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
I had to be out of town four nights, so Logan and I were separated. I feel it was probably harder on me than it was on him. haha

Here he is freshly bathed. We are reunited and just had a 2.5 mile walk.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
I took Logan to the Village Green Park in Cashiers, N.C. today. It's a good place for me to take him to get him more accustomed to being around people and other dogs. I can keep enough distance that he doesn't get over tempted. Today, I let him sniff all around and then I put him about 15 feet off the pathway as people and dogs walked by. He did so good in his sit/stay. I would have walked him by other dogs, but I never know what other people are going to let their dogs do and I don't want to set Logan up for failure

We also went over by the playground -- about 15 feet away again. This nice man started talking to me about Logan and acknowledged he knew I was training him. He called his kids over and I took a one step/sit approach to get over to them and Logan did great. Once we made it to the fence, I said "Okay" and he licked their little hands. They loved him.

To top it all off, I took him to the middle of a picnic table area -- decently spread out -- with people at all three tables. We practiced half mooning, down stay, and short recalls. He did great!

The only thing he had a little trouble with was when we were leaving, he was so excited he kept wanting to walk out in front of me, so we did a lot of going in the opposite direction, rinse, repeat. We finally made it to the car. 🤪

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
His little bothers(2) and sisters (6) are getting baths today and I can hardly believe it's been nearly a year since Logan was born... I will be glad when sibs from repeat breeding go home! My back is seriously killing me. A friend has a grocery cart she is going to loan me, so I can avoid 17 walks back and forth to the grooming area from the puppy pen... thinking this might be a game changer!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
His little bothers(2) and sisters (6) are getting baths today and I can hardly believe it's been nearly a year since Logan was born... I will be glad when sibs from repeat breeding go home! My back is seriously killing me. A friend has a grocery cart she is going to loan me, so I can avoid 17 walks back and forth to the grooming area from the puppy pen... thinking this might be a game changer!
Oh man. I bet they are all so beautiful and fluffy! I can't imagine doing what you do, but I am a very happy recipient of your labors. I bet puppies in a grocery cart will be so cute! lol

I left the groomer at daycare a note and told them not to cut his hair in any way -- bath only. I also wrote a note about not liking furminator de-shedding type tools and I use an undercoat rake. I'm sure they are already starting to think I'm cuckoo. lol It's not like I'm a professional groomer, but I don't want anyone messing with his coat unless I really feel confident they know what they are doing. I wish we were neighbors. I'm sure you are glad we are not. lol

Logan gets so many compliments and is such a good dog. He's also full of energy and in rare form this morning. haha I keep explaining the concept of me needing coffee to him, but he's not impressed. He wedged himself between me and the arm of the couch to make sure I knew he was here.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #493
We went to the Village Green Park in Cashiers, NC today. It was such a beautiful day and Logan always makes the park even prettier.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
We also got bad news the last time we were in obedience class in Brevard. The lady has grown on me and Logan is doing so much better since we've been going. She's a good trainer of me so Logan can know what I'm telling him to do (haha). I was hoping to get Logan going again with her in the spring (we are heading home in November for the winter.)

She let the class know she is moving back to the Pacific Northwest. She wasn't planning on it and has had her business in the location she is in for ten years. The owner of the building sent her a text (ugh!) to let her know he had sold the building and she needed to be out by the end of December. She told him she wished he had let her know the building was up for sale so she could make plans and he said, "I'm not required to by law." Jeez. She said she just decided she would head back to where she was from because she at least knows a few people there.

Boo. Hiss.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #499
I'm back in Columbia now. We packed up our mountain home somewhat as I headed this way for a few weeks. It has been a while since I've been home this long and we are going to enjoy it. I took Logan for over four miles today. We were combing the neighborhood for a lost Labradoodle (Bentley) Logan knows and likes. He's very sweet. He went missing at 8:00 this morning after running out of his yard and running into a car. His owner said he was limping a little, but could still move up the road pretty quickly. He's only a couple of months older than Logan.

I walked over 10 miles today looking for him. He was found later tonight and they think he is okay. I'm sure he was very scared and I hope not too much emotional stuff from the near death by car.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I hate invisible fencing.

Sorry for the lack of Logan photos in this post. I'm going to give him a good bath tomorrow and I will take some photos. He's doing well. Beautiful. Sweet. Funny.

I'm arranging continued training for him/me while I'm in these parts.

481 - 500 of 544 Posts