Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

301 - 320 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Gorgeous puppy 🥰 What breeder did you get him at?? He’s is going to be an awesome dog, and very handsome when he’s older...not that he isn’t now 😁
Thank you. I got him from Prism Goldens in Ocala, Florida. I couldn’t be more pleased. Robin has been wonderful. Logan is so smart and has been such an easy pup. He’s very patient with us as he teaches. 😊😅

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
Good morning from Logan! We had a nice morning walk. He's such a good boy and doing so well when we go on walks. He's getting some good socialization with friendly dogs and getting so used to many different people being out and about. He's very interested in and a fan of squirrels and birds. We've yet to meet a cat. 🤪 😁

Sit, stay, and look at me are wonderful commands for photo moments.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
What a gorgeous looking dog. I looked at Prism Golden’s website, and they seem extremely knowledgeable and very talented in the world of golden retrievers. Logan seems to be making much progress for such a young boy!
Thank you! I'm thankful to have chosen wisely. Logan is everything we wanted and more.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
Diane!! How many leashes do you own lol?????Every set of pics has a different one!
I used to own more. 🤪 Brian tells people I hardly ever spend money on myself, but I sure like spending money on the dogs. 😅

I love pretty collars and leashes. The metal clasp thing is a bit bulkier on that one than I expected, but Logan doesn't seem to mind or notice. I think Ruffwear has such pretty colors/designs and they're strong/good quality.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #307 (Edited)
The Greater Columbia Obedience Club has a Quarantine Fun page on Facebook and they post things to teach your dog each week -- tricks -- and also games. Today's game was Bobbing for Kibble:

Bobbing for Kibble

I'm not sure bobbing in 1" of water for kibble (training treats) was a very difficult challenge for Logan, but he appreciated the treats. 😅

·
Super Moderator
2,478 Posts
Aw so great to read all of the posts about Logan. He seems so happy with you two! Perhaps when social distancing is over Logan and chat with Oskie about swimming. He wades but refuses to swim. I tried to explain that it is the only way to get at the geese on the pond but he remains unconvinced. Logan looks fabulous (love the B & W).

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Aw so great to read all of the posts about Logan. He seems so happy with you two! Perhaps when social distancing is over Logan and chat with Oskie about swimming. He wades but refuses to swim. I tried to explain that it is the only way to get at the geese on the pond but he remains unconvinced. Logan looks fabulous (love the B & W).
Thank you! He's still a little tentative around it, but loves getting on his float. Maybe he thinks it's freezing like I do. 😅 I wonder when they get their double coat? I don't know.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #310 (Edited)
This is pretty close to the last photo, but yesterday's morning walk. He's such a sweetie.

I'm going to the vet Wednesday to pick up his Trifexis. I think at six months is when the vet said he will change him over from Trifexis, so this will be the last dose of that. They told me they no longer sell Nexgard, but I'm planning on getting Logan on monthly meds I can give on the 1st and the 15th and Abby back on that regimen also. She takes Sentinel and Bravecto at the moment.

They said they will take Logan in to weigh him, so I'll get to find out what he's weighing. I saw a Facebook memory of Luke and he weighed 50lbs at five and a half months. I don't think Logan weighs that much. Once I know what he weighs, I can adjust his food. I think he may need a bit more. He's getting three cups a day -- plus about 1/4 cup of kibble for training treats and quite a few Blue Buffalo training bits.

I can't remember when I switched over to two a day feedings. Logan is still getting fed three times.

Yesterday we started working on pivoting in a circle with front paws up. I used "hurry" for clockwise and "easy" for counterclockwise. He did that pretty well. He will also do down on a box from the paws up position and will sit back off the box. We've been working on heel. We've also been working on him fetching and bringing the ball back to my hand. He's starting to do that each time. I've been using a tennis ball for ease of picking up, but I'm going to see how he transitions to a Chuck It now.

Luke never liked a Chuck It. He also never chewed his tennis balls. He kept a pile of sticks and tennis balls outside near the back door and when we were done, he'd put his stick in the stick pile or his tennis ball on the bench where we kept them. Luke was a carrier of items. With Logan, I'm just keeping the tennis ball in a drawer until each time we're working on fetch. He knows what I'm saying now when I say, "Do you want to go get your ball?" 😃

Logan's teeth are coming in like crazy. Yesterday he had a loose incisor when I brushed his teeth. Today, it's gone and the new one is coming through. The only things he chews on are his toys and the wet frozen washcloths I give him. No nipping any. Feels miraculous. 🤪😅

The only other thing I can think of that we've tried is him crawling forward once from the down position with a lure. I had never tried that and he just did it naturally with a lure. I ordered him some cones so we can work on circling a cone and figure eights. We just keep learning new things. We haven't done any scent type activities. Maybe I will see if he can find a treat under a cup using three cups. He's going to have a hodgepodge of information if we ever get to go to a class of any sort.

We've only had one accident in the last month as far as tinkling goes. He's getting about done there I think. He's never had a poop accident in the house.

One more thing -- Luke used to walk up and put his paw on me when he wanted something. Logan's indicator is touching me with his nose. I love dogs. They make me smile.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
That’s great—he sounds like a nice boy 😊 I think he looks great in terms of weight, but you do whatever you feel best!
Thank you! I'm sure he is fine weight-wise and it's probably best he be lighter than heavier. I'm just excited to know where he is as far as that is concerned. It feel weird not taking him in once a month to be checked out. My vet usually weighs him the first year each month.

You know, I haven't thought about it but we bought a place in the North Carolina and are remodeling it. Logan will so love the mountains and hiking I'm sure. Well, I just found out our vet bought a home in the same neighborhood. That may come in handy.

This has nothing to do with anything, but yesterday when we were out walking Logan came upon a kid sized jeep with a dead battery in our neighborhood pond area. He was so interested in it. If it's there today, we may take a photo in it. lolol

I know I'm chatty. This virus isolation is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Diane! He looks a slightly bigger than Noelle and she was born 12/1. Likely because he’s male. I took her for rabies yesterday and she weighed 37.2. I can still hold her/pick her up easily. I expect that to end 😂. Yesterday she started 2 cups x 2, so I expect her to gain 5 pounds a month for the next two. Vet said she is right where she should be.

I hear you on leashes!!! I have so many too. I like ruffwear too but sometimes think their clips are too bulky on a puppy. Oddly my favorite leash is by Ellen Degeneres’ I believe now defunct line! I purchased a Lupine collar for Noelle and I love it- so many fun designs!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Diane! He looks a slightly bigger than Noelle and she was born 12/1. Likely because he’s male. I took her for rabies yesterday and she weighed 37.2. I can still hold her/pick her up easily. I expect that to end 😂. Yesterday she started 2 cups x 2, so I expect her to gain 5 pounds a month for the next two. Vet said she is right where she should be.

I hear you on leashes!!! I have so many too. I like ruffwear too but sometimes think their clips are too bulky on a puppy. Oddly my favorite leash is by Ellen Degeneres’ I believe now defunct line! I purchased a Lupine collar for Noelle and I love it- so many fun designs!
Were you feeding her three times a day before 2 cups X two? I guess I need to switch him over to twice a day feedings now. We train so much, he probably is getting an extra cup of food calories via treats & kibble I use for training.

Yes, the Ruffwear clips are bulky. I think the one on Logan's leash is too big for him at the moment, but he doesn't seem to notice it. I think Luke had every Lupine ever made almost before I switched him to a Ruffwear harness. We liked sea themes since we were at the beach often.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Were you feeding her three times a day before 2 cups X two? I guess I need to switch him over to twice a day feedings now. We train so much, he probably is getting an extra cup of food calories via treats & kibble I use for training.

Yes, the Ruffwear clips are bulky. I think the one on Logan's leash is too big for him at the moment, but he doesn't seem to notice it. I think Luke had every Lupine ever made almost before I switched him to a Ruffwear harness. We liked sea themes since we were at the beach often.
She was 1 cup x 3 prior to yesterday. And now the 2 cups x 2. Poor girl has been staring at me all afternoon. 🤣 Wondering where that afternoon food is even though she’s had the same!! Lol

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
She was 1 cup x 3 prior to yesterday. And now the 2 cups x 2. Poor girl has been staring at me all afternoon. 🤣 Wondering where that afternoon food is even though she’s had the same!! Lol
hahaha I'm sure it throws them off at first. I'll be glad to switch Logan over because my Cavalier thinks she is supposed to get lunch also now and she is almost five.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
He is such a lovely boy! And you sound like you're having a great time with him.

I hear you on leashes - I have a lot of "equipment" for Kaizer. I love soft leather leashes, but I have quite a few Lupine and Mendota leashes too.
Thank you! We are really enjoying him. I love training with him and taking walks.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
Diane! He looks a slightly bigger than Noelle and she was born 12/1. Likely because he’s male. I took her for rabies yesterday and she weighed 37.2.
Logan is 38lbs, so I think it may be time to increase his food. I'm asking Robin (breeder) to see what she thinks.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Good morning from Logan. We were out and about on our walk this morning enjoying the absolutely beautiful weather. It's my granddaughter, Charlotte's, 5th birthday today. We liked their front yard signage.

I changed Logan to two meals a day. I'm giving him 1 3/4 cups at each meal.

We are working on our intermediate tricks:

1) He can fetch from 20 feet and bring the ball back to my hand consistently.

2) He'll hand signal down, come, sit (did that for novice), stay (not an option), and is starting to get stand.

3) He heels with an automatic sit. We practice that on our walks for about the last half block and have been practicing by the pool and in the driveway. I ordered cones so we'll practice a figure eight once they arrive.

4) He can roll over very well.

I haven't googled how to train a dog to catch a treat in the air, but I tossed a few at him and he looked at me like, "Are you stupid? Why are you pinging me in the head with treats?" 😂

5) I ordered a puppy puzzle for him to learn to manipulate.

6) I bet he can learn to wave. I'll look up how to teach that.

7) I think he'll do a wobble board fairly easily because Robin had one in their puppy play area if I'm remembering correctly.

8) I need a tastier/smellier treat for the shell game

9) I just tried leg weaves with him one session and he was picking on that even without a treat lure.

10) I don't know if he will be able to balance a treat on his nose, but I found a good video for teaching it.

301 - 320 of 375 Posts