Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

221 - 238 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Good morning.

We worked on quite a few things yesterday, but these photos are from our loose lead walk in the neighborhood. He's so sweet and getting lots of oohs and ahhhhhs.

My sister says he's growing out of the frame. 😜

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
BTW, I don't know if I've said but we have 88 degrees predicted today, 90 for tomorrow, and 85 for Sunday.

Logan will definitely be introduced to the swimming pool this weekend. 😊

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
BTW, I don't know if I've said but we have 88 degrees predicted today, 90 for tomorrow, and 85 for Sunday.

Logan will definitely be introduced to the swimming pool this weekend. 😊
As long as he is horizontal he is safe... vertical means 'tired'...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
As long as he is horizontal he is safe... vertical means 'tired'...
Thank you. When I first got Luke and was clueless about Goldens, I thought he needed a life jacket in the pool. It took 30 minutes the first time to coax Luke into the "beach" end which is where chairs sit and it's about 10 to 12" deep. It's probably about 8' X 8'. Then it took 30 more minutes to coax him into the pool with me in it. Luke was older than Logan. We built the pool when he was about 1.5 to two years old. And BTW, Luke ended up loving the pool so much and would jump in and land on a float and then take another jump into the pool. He also just ran and jumped in after an aqua dumbbell. He would have swam forever if I let him.

I've only had Logan out there by the pool once and he pulled towards the edge on leash. He wasn't acting fearful any. My first goal is to just get him to want to come in let him, swim (not far -- about five minutes) to me and turn him around to show him how to get out. I may put him on the long line? Not sure. Logan hasn't been off leash a lot. The pool is fenced in with wrought iron fencing and then about two and a half feet high black chicken wire (because Abby could walk right through the railing when she was younger.) I sure don't want to be chasing Logan up under the thick bushes, however, and there's no telling what lives under there.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Great job Mom and Logan!
Thank you! I can't do two things at once. I've been using "yes" and the command when he does things well and I reverted back to "good boy" for almost this entire video. 🤣

I'll get Brian (hubby) to video us when I get a bit better. 😜

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
I love 'you're free'...so- for new things to teach- go to the AKC rally exercises.. you can get those all knocked out by the time he is 6 mo old and we hopefully have rally trials...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
I love 'you're free'...so- for new things to teach- go to the AKC rally exercises.. you can get those all knocked out by the time he is 6 mo old and we hopefully have rally trials...
Thank you! I will check those out. Is rally a good precursor to obedience? Do people do both? Man, I hope things get back to normal sooner than later. I know everyone does. Swimming today! That should be fun.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
YOU will likely develop habits that are points off in obedience by doing rally- but the tasks in the rally exercises are wonderful for 'things to do'...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
YOU will likely develop habits that are points off in obedience by doing rally- but the tasks in the rally exercises are wonderful for 'things to do'...
It won't be him for sure. He has such good attention skills. Of course, I do have treats, but he isn't running around me to look for them. He's a good boy.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
This is short and sweet, but Logan was not timid about getting into the pool at all. This is his first toss of the aqua dumbbell. I wish people had this natural ability. I put my phone up after this before I dropped it into the water. I wanted to be in there for his first time and that water was so cold. lol

Logan's first swim

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Took to water like a duck! Well, like a retriever. Great video!
He did! Thank you. We definitely shortened the throws after that one and braved the cooler water ourselves. That was a habit throw just tossing it out there from Luke days . I was surprised Logan just took off. I told my husband puppy throws after that.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Good morning!

This is a funny story I thought I'd share.

I give Logan and Abby good morning treats each day. They get vitamins & joint support then too. Then, they go play and I get my coffee. I was at the coffee pot and Logan came in and stared at me. Then he nudged me with his nose.
I looked at him then because he doesn't usually do that and said, "I already gave you your morning surprise." He may have learned the nudge from me teaching him touch.

Then he sat and I smiled at him and reached down to pat his head. Then he lifted his paw up to shake. Then I laughed at him and he laid down. Then he completely rolled over and stood up!! Omg! lol I gave him zero commands. I've probably started a bad habit, but I had to give him a piece of his kibble (it's in the coffee pot room/pantry area.) He is so smart and so eager to please!! Plus, he likes treats. 😂

221 - 238 of 238 Posts