Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

201 - 220 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good morning! All is happy in our world.

We picked up our sweet new puppy Logan yesterday in Ocala, Florida from Robin Bowen at Prism Goldens.

He is so, so, so sweet.

We traveled six and half hours to get him, which was no biggie, but I was so impressed with how well Logan traveled back with us. He only whimpered once and that was when he had to potty. We stopped much more than that, of course, but this time he meant business. ?

It was so nice to meet Robin and she has been so helpful and informative throughout this process. (P.S. Robin, if you read this -- Brian has carried the puppy around like a baby since we got home and sat in his xpen playing with him. He must be people shy. haha)

These photos are just from our trip home and from last night (I'm in my pajamas, so only a little bit of me ?), but you can see just how precious Logan is. I'm charging my camera battery to get some good photos of Logan as we go along.

Oh -- and besides being a good traveler, he's had no house accidents yet. He goes potty within a minute or so of me putting him on the grass. We went to bed at 10:15 and Logan woke me at 12:50, 4:00, and 6:30. That was a very good job by sweet Logan. I played meditation music for him via Alexa. That's very relaxing even for me. lol He's such a good boy about going quickly and then when I put him back in his crate the first time he zonked again immediately, at 4:00 he whimpered slightly for a couple of minutes, and at 6:30 we got up, went out, ate and went out again. He's been playing and now my husband is about to playpen play with him for a bit.

Oh -- and he's sitting for me pretty well already. A genius puppy, of course. ???

My Cavalier King Charles, Abby, watched from afar last night except when Logan was in my lap and then she came over for petting. This morning I caught her by his xpen wagging her tail and they were sniffing nose to nose. I'm sure she will adjust well. Logan is ready to play with her now. ?

So, I will use this thread to update on Logan as he grows. He's so, so, so sweet! Ooops, said that already. ?

I'm in love. ❤

I can walk myself! ?

Oh, and his registered name is Prism's Lately I've Been Thinking

I chose it from this song/video -- and as good as his name "Logan" ties in is because I have been thinking a lot lately about Luke, life, and how love goes on and on. Plus, I know Luke wants me to be happier and Logan is certainly View attachment 870847 a big dose of happiness. Also, Logan, West Virginia is where my father is from, so it's a nod to him. He passed away when I was 36 and I'm 58 now. I smile when I think of him.

Is that the 29 November he was born? My little Samson was born on 19/nov/19 he's gorgeous. How much does he weigh? Looks like he might be quite small although saying that it looks like I may have bitten off more than I can chew as Samson is already weighing it at 15 And a half kilos so it's looking like he's going to be a bit of a bear,lol .All the best with your little fella he looks like a little angel. I'll send you a wee photo of Samson just now,he's playing with his wee chew toy.
Kindest regards
Samson and Mark

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Is that the 29 November he was born? My little Samson was born on 19/nov/19 he's gorgeous. How much does he weigh? Looks like he might be quite small although saying that it looks like I may have bitten off more than I can chew as Samson is already weighing it at 15 And a half kilos so it's looking like he's going to be a bit of a bear,lol .All the best with your little fella he looks like a little angel. I'll send you a wee photo of Samson just now,he's playing with his wee chew toy.
Kindest regards
Samson and Mark
Yes, he was born on November 29th. Congratulations on getting Samson!

Thank you! Logan weighed 23lbs the last time we went to the vet and I think it will be more like 25 or more next visit. He's 15 weeks old tomorrow.

He is very sweet, but definitely getting to the happening and lots of energy part of his life. I'm training, training, training and hoping it pays off. ?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
I did my first nicking with the toenail clippers today. ?

Logan didn't even act like he knew anything happened. Boy are those things bleeders. I had the powder for it, so we fixed it up quickly.

I'm glad it didn't hurt him because I don't want him to have an aversion to toenail clipping.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
I tried using thinning shears on Logan's ears for the first time today. I'm new to it, so it was not extensive. I just wanted to get him used to it and I think it looks pretty good -- nothing obvious. He is still a fluffy puppy. The area that makes me nervous to trim is around the outside edges. We didn't do that. He did pretty well being still with treats, but he moves a bit much for me to go there yet. When he sits perfectly still, we'll work on it. I don't want to nick him.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

On a funny note, yesterday we were out in the yard playing "come" with Logan on his long line. A neighbor walked into the cul de sac island with her two dogs. They were in the middle of the island and we were in the middle of our front yard. They started getting rambunctious and she told them "Sit!" Logan stopped in his tracks and sat like a good boy. She even yelled, "Good boy, Logan!" ?

Oh -- and he's doing so well with "leave it." I throw a treat around his feet or out a bit and if he goes for it, I say leave it and he immediately redirects his attention to me for a treat.

Edit: Also, the above image says sensitive content after I posted it -- not for those under 18 years old. It is a screenshot from the GRCA website showing how to trim a Golden's ear edges. Weird. lolol

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #205 (Edited)
So, life is happening for everyone -- including Logan. His puppy kindergarten is cancelled because of the coronavirus and his private trainer canceled too. Things that have to be done, but boo and hiss.

I'm working with him every day, however, and he is such a good boy! Smart as can be. Robin, if you read this Fizz must be a genius dog because this puppy needs to be shown something once and catches on.

Things we are continuously working on:

Come (he does great -- I just like to always work on this one.)
Walking loose leash -- really good when it's just me and him. There's so many distractions in the world otherwise. lol
I need to start teaching him to heel off leash -- forgot about that

Things he definitely knows:

Sit
Down
Stay
Wait
Impulse control -- I can put treats right under his nose in my flat hand and he waits for me to get one and give it to him.
Leave it
Drop it
Shake hands (He was so cute learning this -- he cocked his head at me like, "Say what, momma?" ?)

I'm just going to start teaching him something new each day and work on all the other. We did a show of everything today for my husband and he said it was impressive. Logan didn't miss a beat.

I pulled out Luke's big bed today and its bazillion toys. Luke had no interest in a dog bed ever. The only time he every got into it was when Grace (granddaughter) laid in it to watch television one time -- then he was interested. lol

Abby is so excited to see the bed again and Logan is in toy heaven. There must be 40 toys in the bed. I had the sofa cleaned today, so I pulled it out to entertain them so they would forget about wanting to get on the sofa until it dries.

Logan gets his last set of puppy shots on Monday.

It makes me sad he can't go ahead with classes and get going through the three puppy kindergartens and move on to obedience or something. I know there are bigger issues in the world, so that's just a little whine about it.

Here's some photos from our walk we took. We go down to the neighborhood pond and back so we don't go insane with our social distancing. There's also a couple photos of successful crate training as we waited for the sofa cleaner guy to finish today. Logan's new crate and crate pad arrived, so we'll put it together this evening for him. He's up to 42" now!

This last one is me teaching Logan to walk loose leash:

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Nice attention on that loose lead walk!! He is really growing into a super handsome boy. And yes- Fizz is brilliant. That can bite you if you don't think about what all the smarts can lead them to do lol!
Connie Cleveland has a great online program- look into it! Home - Dog Trainers Workshop

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
He is getting such a handsome face. Good looks and smarts!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Nice attention on that loose lead walk!! He is really growing into a super handsome boy. And yes- Fizz is brilliant. That can bite you if you don't think about what all the smarts can lead them to do lol!
Connie Cleveland has a great online program- look into it!
Thanks! He's so attentive when we are doing that.

Everyone tells me how beautiful he is when I'm out walking him.

The trainer that came by twice said how quick he catches on and it can be both good and bad. lol

I will check out Connie Cleveland's program. I'd really like some guidance and it keeps going out the window, but we will persevere.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Happy Saturday from Logan! It has been a beautiful day here and he loves his walks. I showed him the pond in our neighborhood today. He won't be swimming in it. He can swim in our pool. I let Luke swim in our pond once and he smelled like a sewer. Nope. lol I'll let Logan swim in the lake in the mountains -- much cleaner.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Logan goes at 11:30 this morning to get his last series of shots. I'm glad he's able to get them. The vet has safety measures in place where they will come get him from the car for his appointment and I pay via phone.

This was before I brushed him this morning. We are out in the yard and I gave him a raspberry.

I've been working on magic mat with him. I'm not sure who is more confused -- him or me. 😅 I will keep trying...

He's due a bath. Question: Do I do anything to those fuzzies sticking out at the tops of his ears, or leave them because they are so cute? 🥰🐶

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
OMG I am feeling some serious cuteness aggression right now!! LIKE< I want to smoosh his face and get right up in it and maybe even pinch him!!!
You have thinners now- the fuzz is cute but you can also remove it. Don't take the longer hairs off the front edge of his ears, though.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
OMG I am feeling some serious cuteness aggression right now!! LIKE< I want to smoosh his face and get right up in it and maybe even pinch him!!!
You have thinners now- the fuzz is cute but you can also remove it. Don't take the longer hairs off the front edge of his ears, though.
He is so cute! Brian smooshes his face and it looks so sweet/funny.

Thanks. I may keep the fuzz a bit longer. It is so cute.

He's up to 26lbs! His poop has resolved since the last shots, so hopefully they didn't zap him again today. He's a happy boy.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
It was spa day here.

The first photo is pre-spa. Logan was watching a cute little girl play in her front yard.

Right after bath:

Sleepy during drying time:

All fresh and clean:

Abby too!

Abby's thoughts on the whole ordeal:

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Awww. I want a cuddle with that clean puppy. Does he still have puppy breath or is it gone?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Awww. I want a cuddle with that clean puppy. Does he still have puppy breath or is it gone?
It’s gone. I brush his teeth every night, so I’ve probably brushed it away. 😅
He is very cuddly. He already wants to snuggle each night on the couch. Then he does something Luke used to do! He gets off the couch and lies down on the carpet right beneath me.

201 - 220 of 244 Posts