Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's our new pup: Duster (Tanbark's Leave 'Em in the Dust). He came home last week and is settling in nicely. He's going to be my new agility partner, and I can't wait to start training!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Duster is so cute he looks fake!!! Congrats! He is beautiful! Can't wait to hear about all the fun you guys are going to have!
He may look cute, but he's like a whirling dervish on steroids! Our cat finds him anything but cute: he insists on treating her like a toy, but she doesn't perceive herself as a toy. She's been patient so far and we've been teaching him to leave her alone. Hopefully he calms down a bit before her patience runs out.

For such an active and curious pup, he settles nicely in my office during working hours, and has also been calm in the evenings if he gets enough exercise during the day. There's a lot of freezing rain today, however, so no walk or outdoor playtime. We'll see how things go down this evening ...!

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Inspiring sig pic.
Thank you. It was taken as Ruby completed the last obstacle to win her division of the national steeplechase (speedstakes) championship in New Brunswick in 2014, six months before her death.

I miss her every single day.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He is beautiful! Active is good, curious is good LOL

Enjoy :)
Thank you! Yes, he's exactly what I hoped for. Bold, food-driven and wants to please his human. I'm thrilled with him. He won't be an easy teenager, but he'll be a fun companion and working partner.

I initially thought I wanted another female, but after talking to the breeder of my last dog, and to a couple of other friends who know me well, I came around to the idea of a male instead. Their advice has proved to be spot on: it has, I think, been easier to "move on" with a boy dog instead of another girl. Fewer points of comparison, fewer unrealistic expectations, more room to develop another outstanding bond without feeling guilty for replacing my "best girl".

Our poodle is not a happy camper right now, but I'm confident he'll come around. He loves other dogs generally, and will learn to enjoy having another canine companion once he's got over the fact of no longer being an "only dog"!

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow beautiful puppy! Looks like he will be a big boy!
He looks huge on the pics, but he only weighs 9 lbs at 8 weeks. His parents aren't big dogs and his breeder thought he'd be on the smaller end of the normal range.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know how I missed this when you first posted, but I have been waiting for this post ever since I knew you were ready to look for a new pup! Duster has some really big paws to fill! I can't wait to watch him grow with you!
Thank you. Getting here has been a long, tough road. But it's nice to have my own dog again. As for filling the big paws ... I don't think any dog ever could. But Duster will make his own set of pawprints in my life, alongside Ruby's.

She would have liked him.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
So happy to see Duster. I was just wondering the other day if you had settled on a pup. Wishing you many good times together.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
... And here he is, playing with his brother (at last). It may be minus 15 C outside, but there has been a considerable thaw in brotherly relations today!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 205 Posts