Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently just joined. I rescued my golden about 10 years ago. They had her listed as a year old. She is a great dog but a medical nightmare. She had a nodular melanoma, that I found on her back foot, a couple weeks after adopting her. It was removed and that has not reoccurred. She is allergic to almost anything except salmon. She has had an aural hematoma in both her ears, in the last couple of years. The first resolved with medication. The second ear had two surgeries and reoccurred after sutures were removed. Medication was tried and it did resolve but came back. Ear was bandaged and it did resolve after a couple of weeks. She was diagnosed with GRPU a couple of years ago, is on eye drops had to change one eye to different drops due to acute glaucoma. Luckily with the drops her eye pressure is back to normal. Did routine bloodwork her albumin is 3 numbers lower then the low normal range. Will be rechecking. My question is has anyone else had low albumin on bloodwork with no other symptoms. Other bloodwork is normal and she is acting normal. My concern is this the beginning of cancer, since I know she is already predisposed to it. She will be getting rechecked soon. As I don’t know her true age, I have her as a 11 but she could be older.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Also want to add, thanks for taking her in. Sounds like you have provided a tremendous level of care over the years. Hope this new issue amounts to nothing.

Reactions: Peri29

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
No, but twice (including this past week) I've had blood work on a dog that came back with just one value out of whack. Both times we repeated the test and it came back fine. One was thyroid, this recent one was glucose.
You might want to think about repeating it.

Reactions: Peri29

·
Registered
13,288 Posts
No, but twice (including this past week) I've had blood work on a dog that came back with just one value out of whack. Both times we repeated the test and it came back fine. One was thyroid, this recent one was glucose.
You might want to think about repeating it.
Oddly enough (as my dog is related to the dog Hotel4Dogs is mentioning!), I also recently had a single blood value come back out of normal range (with everything else deemed "beautiful" by my vet) and so we also repeated it, and it was fine. It was a kidney value, I think her creatine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
3 numbers below low normal range for albumin is not significant based on a single test. Of importance is how the albumin level is trending over the time.

I had a Labrador with albumin levels always around low range of normal or bit below normal and she lived for 18 years.
My previous golden’s albumin levels were trending down for 2 years. He had a slowly progressing renal disease. The only indication of his renal deterioration in blood test was a decreasing albumin level. Creatinine levels and BUN (the parameters that normally indicate kidney problem) increase only when about 80% of kidneys are compromised but they are normal in early or middle stages. The diseased kidneys were leaking albumin into the urine.

It would be worth doing the urine test to see if there is any protein leakage into urine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well her albumin levels are normal when rechecked. But she has lost a kg in a month, so have to recheck her weight in one week. If she continues to lose weight, I will have to do x-rays. Did anyone have a golden that showed weight loss at the only symptom of cancer? Her appetite is fine, no vomiting and stools are normal.

·
Kristy
10,133 Posts
I'm sorry for your worry. Unfortunately this forum doesn't get nearly the amount of traffic from experienced Golden people that it used to and I worry that you need more people to see this to get some helpful ideas. Have you checked Facebook for some input? Golden Retriever Discussion Group is a good one and also Golden Retriever Discussion Forum might be good ones to try. I hope you're able to get to the bottom of this, it's hard to wait and worry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts