Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying tough love on my pack right now... and feeling like a horrible mommy. I had just gotten Hurley eating again in October after his long bout with stomach issues. Layla went for her spay surgery November 6th, developed a false pregnancy and was off food and water...the other two decided to follow suit to see what other tricks mommy had up her sleeve to get Layla to eat. Now I have 3 dogs on strike... so this morning I put down their kibble... set the timer for 20 minutes, and picked it up. Not one of them even sniffed their bowls - they know the sound of just kibble hitting the dish LOL.

I wonder how long I will hold out - I know they can hold out for quite a while - I always end up giving in, and giving them table scraps or cooking for them or even cheeseburgers. I am such a pushover and they all have me wrapped around their paws. In this economy I can not keep throwing out dog food - their food is more expensive than ours.

wish me luck please,

Julie

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Poor starving dogs....I am going to call animal control on you!!! Feeding them dog food....blah! Lets see who can last longer....good luck.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Hey, tell them if it was in my house, it'd be five minutes.... I'm really mean!

Hang in there, they'll start to clue in. Also helps to not do regular times, so they don't start to assume they'll get fed again at 5 or whatever. My picky eater changed her tune when I went to random feeding (with raw, ended up with some bigger items so they'd get a meal in the morning then next meal was the next day in the evening...).

Lana

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah well, so I picked up their bowls... all 3 gave me dirty looks and are now laying in front of the fridge waiting for something better LOL. I swear if they don't hear the microwave beep, the fridge open, or the pizza guy ring the door bell, they have no interest in food.

I am not giving in .. nope.. no way....I am running away for the day so I don't have to look at the mopey faces.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Oh Lord how I FEEL your PAIN!

I have 2 spoiled rotten pups....One just turned 4 months and she is getting picky already! I add chopped meat, yams, veggies, sometimes even baked thighs, and they turn up their nose til they see there isn't anything better. I dunno which of us are bigger pushovers...myself or my hubby!!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
That is too funny! How did they do tonight (or do you only feed once a day?)? My fosters only get 10 minutes max, but if they aren't the least bit interested, they only get 5 minutes. My personal dogs are salivating while I am fixing their food and wolf it down in less than a minute. LOL

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UH OH... whatever you do... don't order pizza when trying tough love on your dogs.

I did my mega Thanksgiving shop today.. then visited with my parents for an hour or so. I came home and started reorganizing my cabinets - which you know turns into washing down, moving things around blah blah blah. I lost track of time (and had no counter space to prepare anything), and ended up ordering pizzas for our dinner.

The dogs went even more bonkers than normal when he rang the bell ... broke thru the gate, and knocked the pizzas out of the guys arms LMAO. So we ate squished pizzas for dinner...and the dogs of course got what could not be salvaged and are rather pleased with themselves. The poor pizza guy didn't know what hit him LOL.

Tomorrow is another day I guess....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts