Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 2 golden retrievers 2 months old so i am trying to stablish a meal time plan what are your suggestions? I start with the first meal at 6 am, then at 11 am. Then at 6 pm and maybe snack at 9 before bed! Any better recommendations...please comment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We feed Mabel at 7 am, 1 pm and 7 pm (although today I fed her past 2 since she was in the middle of a long needed nap). We measure out the amount of food she's supposed to have in one day and split it into thirds. We don't have a designated "snack" time for Mabel. She gets treats for training and usually one serving of peanut butter (in a Kong) throughout the day.

What time do you usually go to bed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
You might want to limit their food intake before 9 pm, then. I've heard it's best to take away food and water at least an hour before bedtime, but even longer is better. The only food Mabel gets after her dinner is a small treat when she goes in her crate (usually a piece of her kibble). We take away water between 8 and 8:30. This has worked for us, but if your dogs aren't showing discomfort or acting like they need to go to the bathroom, then I'm sure it can be done differently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts