Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As glasses are so often misplaced, I decided to teach Brooks to find my glasses. We started with me letting him see and smell the glasses, then I tell him to wait while I hide them. When I say Find the glasses, he goes and finds them. He is very gentle so damaging them is not an issue.

The thing is, now when he wants to play, he will go find my glasses and bring them to me. I don't know how to train him not to try to find them without being asked!

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Good luck with this trick. I don't have this problem...if I don't keep my glasses on my face I can't see! Ok...sometimes I wear my contacts when not being lazy :) but both Chester and Murphy would chew them up so I must put them away.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow, a very wise way to find the glasses when its missing. Good luck training him to not to play with it :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Ha!
Good Luck with that and when you figure out the answer wouldya let me know...
Tracer is my official glasses-fetcher-upper...

The only known cure as far as I know is not to reward when they find them...but he will just walk around the house with my glasses in his mouth - holding his own auction....glasses for sale...fifty cents a pair.... glasses for sale.....until someone says hey Trace...whatcha got?....then he wags all over and prays for a cookie or a "your such a good-boy!"

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
That's too cute. Maybe you'll have to have a "special" spot for your good glasses and leave a cheap dollar store set lying around so that he doesn't damage the good ones. What will he do if you don't take the glasses from him? Has he ever tried to then eat them if you don't play and praise him afterwards?

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
Hmm - we play "Find it" with one of Griff's toys - any of his toys, it doesn't have to be a special one so maybe try playing that game with a toy? (Funny - my son was just playing that game with him!)

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
Gryffyn's mom, totally OT, but I love your signature pictures!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sierra's good at picking up my "cheater" reading glasses, if I drop them.
She's very gentle, but maybe slobbered a little.
Karen

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I think that's an awesome trick!
The only suggestion I would have is teach him to find some different things, too, and maybe he'll wait to be told which to find.
Maybe.

·
Registered
607 Posts
That is so cute, I would enjoy it anyway I got it lol !! Dancer is funny that way - she brings me anything she thinks she's not allowed to have whenever she finds it -this includes -toilet paper, socks, toothbrush, scissors, any paper, shoes, shirts, cleaners, potatoes, onions, garbage that happens to jump out of the can into her mouth, etc etc you name it she's brought it - I am going to try to teach her to bring my slippers now since they always stash them around the house!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts