Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

May 2023 Training

1751 Views 95 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  DevWind
I have missed logging my training & general thoughts so while I will try not to get too specific, I thought I might start logging again.

Please feel free to join with your training & trialing adventures in Dog Sports
  • Love
Reactions: 5
61 - 80 of 96 Posts
Settled in for the night after training. We had a good session. Winx worked on some heeling and I worked on teaching her to back up. We did some command discrimination. She thinks it’s so fun and jumps up whenever she can! I ran Pilot through and Open and Utility run. He did well. The biggest thing in practice is his arc on go outs. I thinks he’s starting to figure it out though. Instead of the running straight towards his arc, he ran past the jumps, them arced. I keep being told that I need to break him of it, but he’s weird. His arc doesn’t get worse at a trial, it disappears! I obviously don’t want him to ever do it, and we work on it but I don’t correct him much. I just basically say let’s try again.
[/QUOTE

If you put guides at the go outs it would probably help him go straight and not arc. Maybe yoy are already doing this....i just haven't read through all thebothe comments.
Reactions: 1
Couldn't hurt to try guides. It's just strange that he only does it in practice. I was blaming the fact that our ring is sideways so there's almost always someone along the long side of the ring.
May 26 2023

A day off from work, but no dog training happened today.

I had an endo appt that took from late morning to mid afternoon (morning was spent working out & doing chores), then had some errands to run, dog equipment to move for mowing and will be heading out shortly for the evening with friends. Good news is other than the daily type chores, my schedule is clearer for dog related activities this weekend since many things were done today :) Paul is doing the mowing now so I can move the dog equipment back for yard training tomorrow.

Memorial Day weekend is traditionally the weekend I clean or replace the window screens, wash down the windows for their spring sprucing, wash down fences/sheds etc but there should be plenty of time for the dogs & friends as well. I have some seeding to do, setup my hummingbird feeders etc. Weather is predicted to be a bit warm but very nice :)

I have blocked out several hours on Monday to head up to Sunfire Mtn and pickup my Wren :) :) :) I've missed her and am looking forward to having her back at home.
See less See more
  • Love
For training today I did a bonus leg for BN in Fletcher, NC. Logan got first place out of 11 dogs and scored a 198.5. One point was figure eights. He sat a little crooked once (not bad) and it could have been my footwork. He also got .5 off somewhere during heeling.

On a funny note, Logan is getting so much better in buildings full of dogs. I’ve never been in a building with conformation going on. I took Logan out to potty and when I came back in there was a group of about 10 to 15 Cavaliers. Logan has a sister who is a Cavalier named Abby. He perked up like “Look at all the Abbies!” :ROFLMAO: I got through there quickly. Lol
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
For training today I did a bonus leg for BN in Fletcher, NC. Logan got first place out of 11 dogs and scored a 198.5. One point was figure eights. He sat a little crooked once (not bad) and it could have been my footwork. He also got .5 off somewhere during heeling.

On a funny note, Logan is getting so much better in buildings full of dogs. I’ve never been in a building with conformation going on. I took Logan out to potty and when I came back in there was a group of about 10 to 15 Cavaliers. Logan has a sister who is a Cavalier named Abby. He perked up like “Look at all the Abbies!” :ROFLMAO: I got through there quickly. Lol
Congrats on the bumper leg !!
  • Love
Congrats on the bumper leg !!
Thank you! It was fun and I was still a little bit nervous, but not like the first time.
Congratulations on the nice showing in BN! Bumper legs are good because you don't have the stress of worrying about the Q.
Congratulations on the nice showing in BN! Bumper legs are good because you don't have the stress of worrying about the Q.
Yes. It loosened me up for sure.
And thank y’all for telling me they are called bumper legs.
May 27 2023 Bucks Hill Park noonish 75 degrees sunny

Aedan & Finch got to do a few errands with me and then we stopped at a park, which was not too heavily in use – that surprised me since it’s Memorial Weekend & a beautiful day. Perhaps I just times it right!

I set up in a corner where I could park in the shade. This area was somewhat distracting with scents & sounds.

Aedan: HA, spins, twists, catch me if you can directly into heeling with high touch rewards for position. Very few halts and simple heeling. His signals were really nice with some dancing on my part for proofing. Articles (maroon leather set with triple bar wood) were close on perfect – I was putting cheese in the center and he pretty much ignored it until he found his article (I have been using this methos to build drive or going out to the pile plus I think he is connecting my hand down against my pant seam means go 😊 ). Then we played catch & tossing games and ended the session.

Finch: aah my little Finchie. Her nose was causing her some focus issues so honestly I let slightly crooked fronts go since she really was trying to focus (she did require 1 tap-tap, hey you). I made a note to load a fronting platform in the Rogue (the Xterra has one). HA, spins, twists, catch up heeling (oopsie she failed this game 1st time), warm up heeling with high touches, spins etc, heeling around and towards chain link fencing with halts within a foot of said fencing (1st time oopsie, 2nd & 3rd perfect); actually it was heeling towards the fence, hard left turn to heel between a light pole & the fencing (perhaps 2.5’ wide) to a hard right halt so it was a difficult sequence which she ended up acing, We ending with games and ROF in 3 different directions – she loves retrieving so this was also reward for her.

I ordered dog food that should be good for gestational in case the breeding took – her current food is for mature adults – it may or may not be in before she comes home Mon but a few more days on her regular food should do no harm.

I have some chores to do, then a massage (yay!! I need it, I started a new workout challenge after the endo appt Tues (I usually start challenges on Fri or Sat) so I am playing catchup to get all the workouts in for the week and it always makes me sore starting a new routine -- this woman knows how to build her challenges!! ; doubling up is not helping LOL) and then I will no doubt do some jump work with the dogs when it cools down.

ETA: I got my planned chores done a bit earlier than planned for (actually I threw out the dang shoe rack that was 1 of my chores to assemble: no english instructions and the starting steps had missing pieces - after I laid out all the hardware, pieces etc to make sure I wasn't just missing seeing the pieces so that shortened my time-frame right up) -- anyway --- Finch got het BJ work in - I had set the BJ this morning up a very slight incline and she failed the 1st attempt so it was not a one and done session but rather start from point zero and work our way back up session, however! we did work up to the full BJ minus the finish before we quit. I then moved the BJ setup to another section of the yard -- level but between a tree and a rock wall in kind or a long narrow (15 feet maybe?) strip.

Challenge accepted, Ms Finchie!! Unless there is something physically wrong, we WILL keep working on the broad jump issue(s)
See less See more
And thank y’all for telling me they are called bumper legs.
We call those insurance legs around here. Congratulations!
Well….Winx showed today and did pretty well. I’m just waiting to share until after the weekend is over.

Pilot and I worked with Anney today. She had him in a nice stack! I knew it was in there! Now I have homework with him! Lol. (sorry…didn’t mean to scare you!)

Thats pretty much it aside from me putting eye drops in 24 pairs of eyes. Need to figure out how to go pro on that…
I had a training party today ... Aedan was my only dog since Finch was hiking the AT and Wren is still on Sunfire Mtn. It was interested to see Aedan working things out. We did an X signals pattern and the floor was marked with tape between the jumps in an X shape. I have worked dots, feathers, straight lines of tape, paper , tissues etc but that X bothered him. Interesting. He did everything but for say the go-outs he made a small arc around that X and straightened out his line as soon as he was beyond it. Etc.

My 2nd rental (standing alternate Sunday evening rental) Finch & Aedan both came. This session was all about chaining multipke exercises (including out of crate, leash on, ring entrance, leash off, walk to other side of ring for setup etc together with no food on me. I did 'plant' rewards (food or toys) around the ring and we had races to the rewards when 1) we did the pre-planned number of exercises in formal mode and/or 2) they did a truly great job.

It was fun :) these were forward chains....btw: Finch aced her BJ. Familiar location & jump but I did change up the ring layout to something she has never seen. The club added shades to the wall mirrors since the last time I was here, so I rolled them up (when I walked in they were down) so that was a different picture as well...Finch was jumping into her reflection.

Good sessions...
See less See more
We trained also. Logan did great with his heeling on and off leash. We did circles, right turns, left turns. Fast, slow, and halts. I did treat toss fronts and some where he was stationary and I called him in from different angles. We played the bean bag drop on down game. I used a standing board for position changes. We worked on moving stands. I think that’s it. Oh. And we played the find heel game.
Another day of showing Winx and doing the eye clinic. Tomorrow is obedience and rally with Pilot. He hasn’t shown in obedience for a little bit so we’ll see how it goes! I’m trying to remember why I thought this was a good idea! Lol!
  • Love
Mr. Rogers went 4/4 this weekend in agility. I’m really proud of him - it’s only his third trial (five total trial days), he’s a baby dog, and he focuses like a seasoned competition dog every time.

Titles/Qs Earned:
* NA and NAJ
*Leg #1 for both OA and OAJ

I made notes of what I need to improve with my handling after I reviewed the videos below. Lateral distance is going to be my friend. Rog hit 5.8 yards per second in Open Jumpers - I might need to start running faster, lol.

The A-frame to the ending in Open Standard is the exact same course as Masters Standard was set up today. Videos below - some bits of the course cut off because video is from a tripod and I couldn’t get everything in frame.

• Love
Mr. Rogers went 4/4 this weekend in agility. I’m really proud of him - it’s only his third trial (four total trial days), he’s a baby dog, and he focuses like a seasoned competition dog every time.

Titles/Qs Earned:
* NA and NAJ
*Leg #1 for both OA and OAJ

I made notes of what I need to improve with my handling after I reviewed the videos below. Lateral distance is going to be my friend. Rog hit 5.8 yards per second in Open Jumpers - I might need to start running faster, lol.

The A-frame to the ending in Open Standard is the exact same course as Masters Standard was set up today. Videos below - some bits of the course cut off because video is from a tripod and I couldn’t get everything in frame.

Congratulations !!
Beautifully done :)

Re videotaping. If you are interested , there are a few video cameras (Pivo Pod comes to mind) that can track your movement and also a few GoPro models that go into a very wide angle that do a really nice job with high speed capturing.
Wren's home :) She did need to tell Aedan off once for the whole butt sniffing thing but then they were running around the backyard -- okay Wren has already stolen Aedan's UD leg toy LOL let's see how long it stays intact!

This morning I worked a bit with Finch's broad jump. Aedan is just in from a hike and the neighborhood is filling up with parties .. unfortunately that probably means fireworks so rather than chance problems I think no training - everyone needs to settle in with Wren here again anyhow.

I did get Barb's okay to continue Wren's weave training; her only real restriction would be swimming in water that does not look clear :) we had a few algae scares in our area last year and now need to be on the lookout for water that may be unsafe for our dogs. No tick preventive which may be an issue -- I need to check with her about Wondercide.
I’m so tired! i took Pilot to a trial today. He did sooo well!

Rally - He got a triple q in with 100, 99, and 100! So he earned 10 master points and 19 advanced and excellent points. He also earned high triple and high combined.

Obedience - He NQed in Utility. It was actually a very nice run but he didn’t do the last directed jump go out. He truly shined in Open today. 197 1/2 which earned his first OTCH point! We also participated in our first run off. We didn’t win but it was a brand new experience for us!
  • Love
I’m so tired! i took Pilot to a trial today. He did sooo well!

Rally - He got a triple q in with 100, 99, and 100! So he earned 10 master points and 19 advanced and excellent points. He also earned high triple and high combined.

Obedience - He NQed in Utility. It was actually a very nice run but he didn’t do the last directed jump go out. He truly shined in Open today. 197 1/2 which earned his first OTCH point! We also participated in our first run off. We didn’t win but it was a brand new experience for us!
That’s awesome! Yay for Pilot and you!!
61 - 80 of 96 Posts