Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Truth Is Out There
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I desided to, change Max to James Wellbeloved food as all there food is hypo-allergenic, so I desided to make a skin thread that I hope to update weekly with photos, as it may help otrhers in future.

First pictures taken on the 19th Dec this is before any treatment.

Second pic taken on the 24rd Dec taken after being put on Anti biotics and Sudocream cream on the worse effected leg (left) cream put on right leg on 23rd.

Food change over started 24th Dec.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I hope the new food really helps. That looks like it hurts.

·
The Truth Is Out There
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE

I know it not been a week but we desided to change foods from JWB to Hills sciance ZD Ultra, the reason is the vet said that although the JWB food is good this has vertuly nothing for him to react to.

We hope to start introducing this new food tomorra when the vet get it in, should take about 4-5 days for him to be on the food 100%, we where thinking of having allergy tests done but the vet felt if it is a food allergy then this would be a waste of money and that the food is the first step if it doesn't work then have the test's done.

He also taking Piriton 4mg tablet every 8 hours on the vets advice, witch we started tonight, he finishes his anti biotics today as well, bet anyway its looking alot better today.

todays pics

·
The Truth Is Out There
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update 3rd jan

here the proper updated pics taken today today the 3rd Jan.
He started his hils sciance z/d ultra 31st Dec he should be on it 100% in the next 2 days he currently half normal half z/d. He also been having one 4mg anti-histamine tablet once a day.

todays pics

yes I had the clippers out again, I will not be shaving anything more off as he will get to cold.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I would recommend Micro-Tek shampoo by Eqyss if you can get it there. It will give immediate relief and help heal while you are sorting out the food issues. It was really a life saver for my springer boy. www.eqyss.com It's the only shampoo we use here now.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Not sure if I missed it in an earlier post or not, but have you checked his thyroid? The hyperpigmentation (the black stuff that looks like it could be dirt, but it's not) is common in low-thyroid dogs.

·
The Truth Is Out There
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the suggestions

on bathing him, he is terrified of the bath, it take all my strenth to even get him on (even with 2 of us)

he had a full blood work done about 6-9 months aog an nothing showed up then but yes thyroid problems are on my list of things it could be (list in my head that is)

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
thanks for the suggestions

on bathing him, he is terrified of the bath, it take all my strenth to even get him on (even with 2 of us)

he had a full blood work done about 6-9 months aog an nothing showed up then but yes thyroid problems are on my list of things it could be (list in my head that is)
If it was full blood work at your regular vet, it probably only included the T4. You need a specialized thyroid check to determine. Usually called the "Michigan State" or "Jean Dodds" panel.

·
The Truth Is Out There
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it was full blood work at your regular vet, it probably only included the T4. You need a specialized thyroid check to determine. Usually called the "Michigan State" or "Jean Dodds" panel.

I'll have a chat with our vet tomorra.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It seems that Mango is having similar problem as Max. We brought Mango to vet twice. The first time Vet gave a shot and oral medication to Mango. The 2nd time, only the oral medication. The symptoms goes away right after both visits, but comes back 4 weeks later. Mango lost appetite after re-occurrence of the problem :-(

The vet insists that it's most likely flea allergic, but we followed the treatments instruction. Apply flea medication & bi-weekly shampoo. We also changed the food and shampoo, but problem comes back. I hope to find the solution online.

If anyone has any idea, please kindly e-mail me: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
18,636 Posts
This really looks like staph infection to me. Ask your vet if it could be staph. If you don't think your vet is being thorough enough, you might consider getting a second opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts