Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My puppy is now 9.5 months old and he is one big, friendly ball of fur!
I work and go to school, so I am in and out of the house each day. I never try to leave my dog alone in his kennel for more than about 6 hours. However, I'm wondering what you all would suggest for a maximum amount PER DAY if I spend time with him in between crating. For example, If I get up with him and short walk and breakfast, then crate him for 5 hours in the morning, then spend about 2-3 hours with him when I get back including a 45-minute walk and play time, then how long can I crate him again? Would another 5-6 hours be way too much? I'm not sure because I would never crate him for 10 hours at one time, so I'm not sure what the perfect math equation/solution is (ie how long I can be gone at once, how long I should be with him in between, and how long I can be gone again). THANKS for your help!
Amy and Paxter

·
Registered
328 Posts
What I would do if I was in your situation is try to test your puppy out and see if he takes crating well, behaviorally. Is he getting the zoomies when you're back? Is he uncontrollable? Sad? Does he whine all day or does he stay calm? I think the answer to these questions lets you know whether your puppy needs more attention or not.

If he isn't getting adequate attention and you can't give it to him then you can resort to possibly hiring a dog walker or having someone come in and give paxter attention.

We personally leave Max, our 3 month old, for 8 hrs or so but he gets taken out twice for 10 mins by a dog walker. The walker also leaves him a stuffed kong when he gets his 2nd walk. So far he hasn't complained and seems to be doing just fine :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a great point. Paxter goes in his kennel with little coaxing and I have never heard him cry. He is, of course, ecstatic when I get home, but doesn't seem to have unusual amounts of energy as I always take him on at least one 45 minute walk and a few shorter ones or some chase play sessions. I do have a dog walker for the days that I am gone for an extended time during the day, like 8 hours. Then I have a walker come for a 45 minute walk and he seems to do fine but I still worry if that's enough. It's me - I JUST FEEL SO BAD!!! I am having a hard time because he can't tell me if I kenneled him for too long.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Oh I'm with you, all day long at work I keep thinking of my little buddy, I come in this forum to keep myself sane!

10 hrs sounds like a lot when you consider there's also sleeping time involved, is 10 hrs going to be an every day thing?

·
Luna and Lily's Dad
491 Posts
Lily has to be in her crate while I go to work every day, but a buddy of mine lets them out for a bit a couple times during the day. Lily loves her crate and happy trots to it when I tell her to in the morning.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paxter doesn't ever willingly go in his kennel, but he's never fought me over it either. No, 10 hours a day total would just be maybe once a week. The thing is, I'm always in and out...is that okay? With him for 1 hour, kenneled for 3 hours, with him for 2 hours, kenneled for 3 hours, with him for an hour, gone for 30 minutes, then with him the rest of the night. I'd love to hire a dog walker more, but it's too expensive for me. Also, I'd love to let him have more space, but he's a rascal and always finds SOMETHING to get into. Thanks so much for all the quick replies. Keep the opinions coming!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Paxter doesn't ever willingly go in his kennel, but he's never fought me over it either. No, 10 hours a day total would just be maybe once a week. The thing is, I'm always in and out...is that okay? With him for 1 hour, kenneled for 3 hours, with him for 2 hours, kenneled for 3 hours, with him for an hour, gone for 30 minutes, then with him the rest of the night. I'd love to hire a dog walker more, but it's too expensive for me. Also, I'd love to let him have more space, but he's a rascal and always finds SOMETHING to get into. Thanks so much for all the quick replies. Keep the opinions coming!
Going in and out is way better than leaving him for long stretches of time, in my opinion. He might not know how long you'll be gone for or how often, he'lo just know you'll be coming back sometime, so that'll keep him happy. Also, considering he has more than enough time to go potty, if you're back roughly every 3 hours, I would go so far as to say you don't even need a dog walker if your pup can hold his bladder for that long.

I would wait to give him more space till you're certain that he won't get into trouble!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Well I am thinking of my two.... they're sleeping now! My day off with them tends to be like... wake up at 8, they nap around noon the latest, get up to play around 3 then eat at 5 and nap again! So really if you're puppy is getting some good play time in, he's probably ok with napping while in the crate and doesn't care near as much as you do that you're gone for a couple hours (;

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Just a thought... It stinks where we live. There isn't a daycare or a dog walker or neighbor home within an hour of us. Luckily our mom is living with us temporarily...
So I always think of it through the eyes of people who may not have those services. But it makes me wonder how readily available they are to others, the average owner.

If I worked hours that I was gone each day for a long time I would use a daycare. If It were only around 4 hours I would hire a walker.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Does Paxter usually sleep in his crate at night too? If he sleeps in bed with you, then think 6-8 hours would be okay in the crate, at least until he's old enough to be trusted in the house. Just a few more months, and you'll probably be there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts