Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Max went to the vet yesterday for an evaluation and to see if she can travel with us to Bloomington IL for Labrador Nationals. If she couldn't go DH would not be able too, and he really wanted to go too. My vet said Max looked very good. We have her on a new "cocktail" of 2 tramadol twice daily and one previcox and she is very happy. He thought if he tried hard enough he might hear some muffling in her upper right lung, but he thought he was manifesting that. Her heart rate was only slightly elevated for a nervous dog at the vet he said that was normal. If she was having lung issues he would expect it to be much higher. All and all he said she looked very good. Gave her the ok to take the trip with us. We are going to cut her back to 3/4 a tab of previcox and see how she does. The vet said do not cut back on her Tramadol. Which leads me to my question.

I love the websites Healthy Pets and Entirely Pets. However they do not carry Tramadol. I did see 1 800 Pet Meds does. Has anyone purchased from there? I have heard stories about some of these internet companies selling stale dated drugs. Part of the reason they are so cheap. Also how long is their shipping? We need to keep Max on Tramadol we are looking to save money the best we can. Any thoughts? Please?

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,691 Posts
I am so glad to hear Max is well enough to travel with you :)

I use 1-800 PetMeds all the time and have not noticed a difference other than price. I have never had any issues with shipment; it usually ship pretty quick after your vet has faxed the prescriptions.

My vet also has a price match fot the same brands but that is before their standard handling fee, so even with shipping I usually pay less. This really helped me when my Rowdster was on thyroid meds, Metacam plus the standard stuff.

One thing I'd like to mention is have you checked WalMart? Rowdy had his blood pressure meds filled there for I think $8; far less than the vet could fill it for.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
If it is a generic, check with CVS. They have over 400 generics available for $9.99 for a 90 day prescription. 5 of my 8 meds were on the list, and this is half the price of my insurance co-pay.

The cost is $10 a year for the plan, and is tacked on to your first prescription.

I am so glad to hear Max is well enough to travel with you :)

I use 1-800 PetMeds all the time and have not noticed a difference other than price. I have never had any issues with shipment; it usually ship pretty quick after your vet has faxed the prescriptions.

My vet also has a price match fot the same brands but that is before their standard handling fee, so even with shipping I usually pay less. This really helped me when my Rowdster was on thyroid meds, Metacam plus the standard stuff.

One thing I'd like to mention is have you checked WalMart? Rowdy had his blood pressure meds filled there for I think $8; far less than the vet could fill it for.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it is a generic, check with CVS. They have over 400 generics available for $9.99 for a 90 day prescription. 5 of my 8 meds were on the list, and this is half the price of my insurance co-pay.

The cost is $10 a year for the plan, and is tacked on to your first prescription.
We should look into this. Tramadol is for pain, and is considered a "controlled substance" so I am not sure it is included. Is the list on the CVS site? Worth checking I am sure. Need to save everywhere we can.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
If you have a Costco close by, Tramadol is super cheap there. Just have your vet write the prescription, drop it off and it's usually filled by the next day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts