Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my friend Olga's dog Max he had a stroke just before Easter 2009 and my friend took him to the emergency vet in the early hour's of the morning they treated him as best they could and said to call there vet in the morning and get the vet to come out as he could not stand up.

Olga phoned the vet and they asked what was wrong with him and the vet said I am short staffed can't you bring him in if not the best thing I can do is come out and put him to sleep.

Here is the link for those that didn't see his story. http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=54747

I took these photo's Saturday I had a job to take them he was rushing around all over the place and it was his birthday on the Friday he was 13 years old.

Doesn't he look well and happy now and what a lovely ending to what could have been a very sad story.:)

Attachments

·
Madilyn & Hannah's Mom
60 Posts
I love the fact that he seems to have 2 favorite stuffies! He sure is a happy looking fellow, and very handsome.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Max

What a great story about Max and happy Birthday, Max!!

·
she'll always be the one
2,452 Posts
Oh Max - you are a doll!!! Thank you for the update on him Maggie. He looks so happy and I love the way he carried his baby around with him.

·
MEG
1,568 Posts
He's looking good Maggie, thank goodness. Could have been such a different tale you were telling!
Is that Charlie having a lean in the second pic?

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
It is wonderful to see Max and how great he looks!!!!!
I love his little stuffed toys. I remember his pictures from the stroke time and he sure has recovered nicely!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
He looks gorgeous and so glad to see that he is doing so well. Love that Max. What a difference from the beginning. Thank you Maggie for letting us know how he is doing.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
So glad to hear how well he is doing. He sure is a gorgeous boy. Happy Birthday Max!! Love how he carries his stuffed toys, too sweet.

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
I remember when Max was ill. It is wonderful to see him looking so well now!

·
Registered
774 Posts
I am reading about Max and so happy he has recovered. What a beautiful boy!

But I am in tears reading about canine vestibular syndrome.

You see, a few weeks ago, our beloved 10 year old rat terrier was put to sleep.

He was fine, active, happy and alert one minute. The next minute, as he was running to the door to greet my son, he fell over and starting yelping loudly. I ran to him and he was partially on his side - his rear legs appeared paralyzed and stiff. But he was holding himself up with his front legs. He also lost control of his bowels. His rear legs were so stiff that they were actually crossed.

My husband picked him up and rushed him to the vet. The vet said he appeared to have a spinal stroke. He gave him some drugs to calm him and said he would observe him overnight. He told us that if he was going to recover, he would see signs of some improvement by the next day.

Well, the next day, the vet told us he was still paralyzed in his hindquarters. He said he appeared to have no feeling. But I wonder how he would know that since he told us that the dog was heavily drugged to as not to be in distress?

At any rate, we made the hard decision to have Toby pts that afternoon. We felt he was suffering and we couldn't deal with it. We were told he was paralyzed and recovery was dubious. Plus, we were told he would not have bowel/bladder control because of the so called paralysis.

After reading about CVD, I am almost sick to my stomach wondering if this is what Toby had. A strange thing is that for a few days leading up to his event, Toby seemed to be shaking his head a lot and flattening down his ears (they usually stuck straight up). I had made a mental note to get him into the vet as I felt he had an ear infection.

Oh my, I am so distressed to think that Toby may have made a complete recovery. You have no idea how upsetting this is - if we had him pts for nothing. I am just beside myself. I mourned for him so badly, it hit me so hard esp since it was so very sudden.

Now I'm wondering if we need a new vet or if the fact that he was calling it paralysis, did he indeed know that? I don't know what to think. But CVD was never brought up as a possibility. It was called a spinal stroke and paralysis.

Would CVD cause the release of bowel movement? Or could that have happened just because Toby was distressed with his sudden loss of balance?

I know, many questions.....but I'm just in tears trying to make sense of this - all over again. I was at peace with our decision to have him pts, but now I am so doubtful and crying all over again.

Kris

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Maggie, Max looks wonderful and so happy with his stuffies:) What a wonderful ending to his story.

Zeke11, please don't beat yourself up. Your vet might have mistaken Toby's symptoms or he might not have. If you trust your vet, you need to assume that he/she made the proper diagnosis. What ifs don't accomplish anything except creating anguish, and you have enough of that with missing your darling dog.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maggie, Max looks wonderful and so happy with his stuffies:) What a wonderful ending to his story.

Zeke11, please don't beat yourself up. Your vet might have mistaken Toby's symptoms or he might not have. If you trust your vet, you need to assume that he/she made the proper diagnosis. What ifs don't accomplish anything except creating anguish, and you have enough of that with missing your darling dog.
Max was different his legs never went stiff and he never yelped or cried he just could not get up for a few days.
So i am sure you made the right decison.
I think when that time come's we all dought ourselves at times i did with mr Meg and still think was it right !!! but i know deep down that it was.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He's looking good Maggie, thank goodness. Could have been such a different tale you were telling!
Is that Charlie having a lean in the second pic?
Yes Patsy you know has to get a look in :) and the third from last photo reminds me a bit of Daisy.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad to hear he's doing so well! He's got a mouth full of stuffed animals--I'm sure there was no shortage at your house :)
Max loves coming into to our house the first thing he does is make for the toy box.:)

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,684 Posts
Oh he looks great! Happy 13th birthday Max

1 - 20 of 23 Posts