Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got home today and let him out to potty. I bent down to pet him and instead of doing the "lean", he crouched down and peed on the carpet!! So we let him out again. He comes in and I go to pet him and he gets me on my shoes and pants. He cowered down again.

He has no reason to be afraid of me so I don't understand this behavior. We just got back from the scout xmas party and let him out. Now to let him in, pet him and see if he pees on me again!! Ugh. :no:

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
It sounds like submissive urination. Try greeting him outside when you come home, and don't bend over him (a dominant position), maybe a crouch.

Google "submissive urination" and you'll come up with a lot of articles.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I take him back out after pee fest number 3 and bring him in the non carpeted room and pet him. He's peeing again and whining. Like not I'm in pain whining. Squeak like a mouse whining. So I keep petting him asking what's wrong. Until he stopped peeing. I let him in the house, I pet him and he's back to his leaning self.

He is on meds for alergies/ear infection. Could that have something to do with it? Maybe it's that I'm leaning over him but he's never minded before and I am greeting him and petting him like I always do. He's been staying in the kitchen the past few days as it's been too cold to put him in the back room. I would think he would see that as a good thing - a step up - bigger room. The person who lets him out every afternoon said that she didn't notice him acting odd.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Depending on the type of meds, that could certainly have an impact on him. So could not feeling well, plus the change in his living arrangements.

·
Premium Member
18,639 Posts
I would susspect the meds he's on now, or a UTI. Since it's a sudden change for him it might be worth having the vet run a test for UTI.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
If he is squeaking like a mouse and has been on meds .... I think I would at least call the vet. I know women can get urinary infections when on antibiotics.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I would suspect UTI also. If not, maybe he is having an off day? I hope Max is alright. I know that our vet's office will take a urine sample anytime without a visit. Just make sure the container is clean before you put his pee in there.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For UTI - if this wierdness continues into tomorrow I'll have to look into that. He is doing a lot of belly showing tonight which is a submissive thing. Max has always been a submissive dog but he's going to the extreme tonight. I hope if it's anything, it's only that. Maybe he thinks he's been a bad dog? Maybe he destroyed something in the kitchen I haven't noticed yet. I am hoping that tomorrow he'll be back to himself. It would really stink if he had a UTI after an expensive vet visit. I am really hoping it's not that. :(

·
Daisy-Broken Heart Healer
595 Posts
I'm sorry that you and Max are having a bad day. I agree with the others--could be UTI or the medicine he is on. If it is a steroid type of drug, that usually causes excess thirst (and drinking) which can lead to potty problems. He might be acting more submissive because he just isn't feeling well. He finds comfort in being around you :) I would check with the vet. We've been through UTI's with dogs for several weeks now. Let us know how Max is tomorrow.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
What kind of medicine is he on? Because some can cause excessive urination like prednisone. Maybe you can contact the vet tomorrow and ask about the side effects of the meds and ask if you can just bring in a sample of his urine to test instead of having to pay for a vet visit.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
So I take him back out after pee fest number 3 and bring him in the non carpeted room and pet him. He's peeing again and whining. Like not I'm in pain whining. Squeak like a mouse whining. So I keep petting him asking what's wrong. Until he stopped peeing. I let him in the house, I pet him and he's back to his leaning self.

He is on meds for alergies/ear infection. Could that have something to do with it? Maybe it's that I'm leaning over him but he's never minded before and I am greeting him and petting him like I always do. He's been staying in the kitchen the past few days as it's been too cold to put him in the back room. I would think he would see that as a good thing - a step up - bigger room. The person who lets him out every afternoon said that she didn't notice him acting odd.
If the meds are steroids, he'll be drinking more, which = more pee.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
What kind of medicine is he on? Because some can cause excessive urination like prednisone. Maybe you can contact the vet tomorrow and ask about the side effects of the meds and ask if you can just bring in a sample of his urine to test instead of having to pay for a vet visit.
I agree, Chloe was on prednisone for a big hot spot and she just couldn't help it, she did pee in the house, the vet did warn me that this could happen.

My vet let's me bring in a urine sample to test it, without charging me for an office visit.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the advice. He is on prednisone and on 900 mg of Primor a day. Today is his first no steriod day. Tomorrow he gets one and so on for the next 6 days until he's done. As for taking a urine sample to the vet - it's not that easy. She's an hour away and her office hours are during the day - I have work today and can't call off for a possible maybe not UTI. I've taken work off before for serious pet health concerns - I just am not sure if this is UTI or the prednisone or as someone else mentioned, the change of living quarters and I can't afford to take off work for a maybe. I let him out this AM and now, to let him in.... I'm going to go let him in an pet him right now in a crouched position, not leaning over him to see if maybe that's it. Here it goes...

Results: 2 drops of pee and no whining. I think the crouching bit helped. I will let him out again this AM and greet him like I normally do before work just to see if that brings on another pee fest. Hopefully, if it's just the meds, this will stop soon!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
My sister in laws cocker spaniel pees on you if you greet him while he is still excited. When we go to visit we have to ingnore him for a few minutes and then we can pet him.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts