Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There goes 20 dollars. Add that to the 80 for Leif's new Math book last year - he's up to a cool $100 dollars out of pocket. The buttmunch took it right off the shelf. UGH.

Now, if I had to guess, between my cupboards, the deck stair, the kitchen chair, the clothes with puppy teeth holes in the bottoms - I'd wager he's probably done about $400 bucks damage in his life up till now.

Am I alone here? How much as your doggies racked up by destroying some of your things?

And I know, crate training would have alliviated the chair and the cupboards but the rest were unaviodable.

·
Registered
372 Posts
There goes 20 dollars. Add that to the 80 for Leif's new Math book last year - he's up to a cool $100 dollars out of pocket. The buttmunch took it right off the shelf. UGH.

Now, if I had to guess, between my cupboards, the deck stair, the kitchen chair, the clothes with puppy teeth holes in the bottoms - I'd wager he's probably done about $400 bucks damage in his life up till now.

Am I alone here? How much as your doggies racked up by destroying some of your things?

And I know, crate training would have alliviated the chair and the cupboards but the rest were unaviodable.
Lets see now...

1. Base board chewing (multiple corners)

2. Decided to start digging in our berber carpet downstairs... managed to work one or two threads loose... and he was off and running!! Must now replace that section of carpet.

3. Has destroyed a couple of throw rugs/mats (I guess he likes the taste of carpet

4. Many holes and bare spots in our back yard. At one time our back yard looked lovely... not any more.

5. Decided to chew on the power cord for my laptop computer... had to order a new one because he chewed through the wire on the old one.

6. Ate a pair of my wife's leather dress/work shoes... wife got new shoes.

7. ... and the list goes on...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
My first golden, Trigger, would sleep in my room with me (I was probably 9-10 years old) and would wake up to a new hole chewed through the carpet ALL THE WAY TO THE CEMENT all the time! He was a chewing machine!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's when we discovered Bitter Apple :)

Kahuna, thankfully, is not bad but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that I have lots of different kinds of toys for him and always have a toy on hand to trade with in case he does get chewy ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a puppy (not a golden) that caused thousands of dollars worth of damage. She chewed the legs off of 8 kitchen chairs until they splintered and broke, chewed holes in both sides of every cushion of both of our couches. Chewed the corners off of 7 kitchen cabinets. Chew 2 legs on a wooden bedframe. Chewed everyone's cell phone cord. Ate a roll of toilet paper at least once a week. Chewed hundreds of panties to oblivion. Chewed the bottom stair on the deck until we replaced it. Dug the carpet away from the walls in 4 places. The damage was AWFUL. And we had her less than a year before we gave her to my cousin, who lives out in the country where she can run and play outside. She was my 13th birthday present and willow (we still have here) had been so easy - Jazzy (DestructoDog) was the complete opposite. So you're not alone! :)

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Wow I feel fortunate....during Tuff's younger days when he first came to live with me he chewed up several pair of flip flops, a shoe or two and my best pair of work gloves. For some reason he just stopped?

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts
Austin tore apart his $70.00 bed last Friday!!! I think he was bored as well as being angry that he had to spend all day in the house because it was so cold out.

His punishment.......a new $70.00 bed (but a different make this time)!!!!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Nugget is #4, and all of our goldens have had distinct differences in their creative chewing. Buckskin ate an iron gate, a wall, clothing, mail.....the list is impressive! Brewer never chewed a single thing.

Nugget did in a couple of kitchen chair braces; but we gave him so many alternatives (along with lots of praise for selecting them) that we kept major destruction at bay. I did post this pic last month....no one is totally immune to puppyhood.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
In 13 years and 9 months my Nugget only chewed 2 baseboards, 1 Conway Twitty booklet from a box set oh yeah and the bottom shelf of the heart shelf my husband had made for me. She did loved kleenex, she always knew where to find the box in the hotel rooms. I sure do miss those days.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it's good to know I'm not alone or living the worst case scenario! Max's punishment was my cold shoulder until out of habit I patted his head without thinking - got jumped upon and slimed. He knew he did bad - when I saw the book he ran up the stairs with his tail between his legs...but did it anyways. UGH.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Kasey is 9 months old and she ruined our carpet which cost $800.00 to replace. She chewed a couple of my daughters games for her Nintendo DS. One of them was brand new just opened about 1hr before she chewed it that cost $40.00. The others were older but still just as expensive to replace. Thankfully we saved the actual ds because that would have been $160.00 to replace. My daugher got this for her birthday and within a few hrs it looked like it was old with all kinds of dents and scratches. (Kasey was only 4 months old at the time) My kids have learned to keep things up so it has been awhile since we lost anything except math homework but that probably doesn't count that only cost my daughter a zero!

·
Registered
576 Posts
My puppies chewed up my passport. They got up on the table and into my purse. I'm in the process of replacing it. I get them fresh new bones each week at the specialty pet store in Austin.

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
Finn chewed up a section of my daybed last week. I bought it a year ago and it cost almost $400. Note to self: Do not fall asleep on the bed with a 5-month-old teething puppy loose in the house. :doh:

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Max's punishment was my cold shoulder until out of habit I patted his head without thinking - got jumped upon and slimed.

This so reminds me of my bridge boy Max - he'd lay in wait for the littlest bit of softening after he destroyed something. He was so naughty and destroyed something on a nearly daily basis until he grew much older. Canadians will understand when I say he chewed up my daughters OHIP card and she'd get the oddest looks whenever she needed to show it. I couldn't have an area rug the entire time he was alive. I'd buy him a new rug everyday if I could only have him back.

Reactions: momtoMax

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
I've been very lucky...neither of my Goldens ever chewed anything up!!! Woody did pull one of my jackets into his kennel when I left him in my car but that was just because he missed me and was sleeping on it when I returned to the car. ;)

Pete

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
C's mom, hugs to you. Max was a good boy today and looked up at me, tail thumping as if to say, "Look mom, I was a good boy!" I forgot to add what made the library incident worse yet was that my son forgot his lunch on the couch in an easy to open plastic bag. The lunch went untouched and ignored and an innocent library book which he needed to jump up, put his teeth just so, slide it out from Leif's other library book was mauled. Sigh. Oh well, I'm over it. Well, I will be after I have to go through the shame of returning the book tomorrow. I hope to find my camera so I can post a pic - he really did a number on it!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I guess I have been pretty lucky.

MacKenzie did chew up my laptop cord when she was a puppy. I do not know how she did not get shocked. My kids did hear her yelp and the kids have lost a few flip flops between her and Brady.

We have probably lost a hundred stuffed animals over years with various dogs. This just keeps the stuffed animal population down, when you have three girls, these thngs multiply faster than rabbits.

It is my little siamese Willow that is destroying my carpets - heaven forbid there is a door shut that she wants to be on the other side.

The worst was my GSD took off a shelf and destroyed a clothdoll my former roommate made for me. She made a doll for each one of her bridesmaids, that wore the same dresses that we wore with our same hair color. It meant so much to me. That was probably the worst that I lost.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My Mums first golden, Toby, would chew anything he could get his teeth around, he would also dig up the carpet and hide things such as hairbrushes and eyeliner pens, he was a little monkey! He ate a £50 note, distroyed a beautiful flower arrangement the minute my Mum left the room. Dug holes for England, deep holes. Would chase any cat he saw...................he was a wonderful dog and full of live. Did cost a lot of money in damages though, the list would total £1,000's lol, he is very much missed though. He lived until he was 13.5 years old.

Our Barney was really good though, would have chewed everything in site if I'd not been with him 24 7 though. He must have thought his first name was "NO" though, for the first year of his life. Even now, he LOVES to chew up toilet tissue, wrapping paper and cardboard, he will ask you first though. He still digs, usually at 11.30pm when you let him out for his last wee on a night. He's got two holes on the go and they are both large and out of sight lol.

Penny, we didn't have her from a Puppy, she's been an angel right through, nothing chewed at all.

My Mums current golden, Barney, is also a rescue dog, he was a couple of years old when she rehomed him. He is really good but he did steel a full sack of dog food when she was out one day, came back to food all over the place..................

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
Sorry about the book. :( My dog Sailor chewed up my Dads cell phone. They can't just pick something cheap to chew on can they. I love that you called him a buttmunch. That's a word I use all the time. It made me laugh. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts