Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maverick has just turned 5 months old. He has been a dream puppy and has done great with the potty training. We have continued to stay on schedule with going outside to do his business. We are also on our 2nd obedience class and he is doing well there also.

Last week we noticed him standing over Jazz's head and then he began to pee on her. I stopped him immediately and we went outside where he emptied his bladder like normal. Since then we have noticed him trying to lift his leg on her or stand over her if she laying down. I am immediately discouraging this behavior. So far Jazz seems oblivious to what he is doing. I wish she would just put him in his place. I am assuming he has begun the hormone surge because his nose is constantly up her rear end as well. Jazz is spayed so there is no concern there. We are hoping to wait and neuter him around 1 year of age. We also believe that he is cryptorchid, retaining both testicles in his abdomen. This is my first time with a male so any advice on making it through the hormonal surges would be appreciated!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sounds like a dominance issue to me. Maverick is asserting that he is the higher ranking dog, and Jazz basically agrees and thus isn't fighting it. That part isn't a bad thing, dogs naturally tend to fall into a pack order and from a human perspective, who cares which one is in charge?

But obviously you can't let the one urinate on the other. If he starts to lift his leg around there shout "No!" and move him aside, perhaps taking him outdoors so he can relieve himself on the grass. Mav may rank higher than Jazz, but you outrank them both, and if you say he has to express his dominance in ways other than urinating on his lower ranking friend, then he should respect your authority. It's just like any other form of training you do, it may take a little time, but he should catch on eventually and comply with your wishes, however reluctantly.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jazz is dominant in every other situation with him and he definitely defers to her except here. I think she just has not figured out or understands what he is trying to do. It is new behavior and I just wish she would put him in his place..lol!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts