Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a lovely female lab and was desperate for it to breed with my golden. They had about 4 days together in the middle of her most receptive period of heat. Bless my boy he was having a real good go until he was literally exhausted. But he wasn't quite hitting the target.
We tried pushing him a bit further forwards, but that just made him stop.
Any advice for next time?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would not deliberately breed two different breeds together. If someone wants a mixed breed, they can go get a puppy at the shelter. Inexperienced people should not even breed purebreds, unless they
1. Wish to better the breed
2. Have goldens that meet or exceed the breed standard UNLESS they are sport/field retrievers that compete and TITLE in obedience/field work, which brings me to
3. Compete in some area of dog sports or at least the confirmation ring.
4. Dogs are exceptional individuals, well bred, with wonderful temperaments.
5. Dogs have some sort of talent other than “nice companion or pet”...”has a pretty face”...etc.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had a Golden retriever/lab mix before my current Golden. She was the best dog ever. However I found her at the humane society. She was traced back by her rabies tag to owners who got her as a pup from a different humane society. See where I'm going here?
There are millions of dogs in shelters who need great homes. Breeding a mixed breed is just going to add to that problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,223 Posts
Thanks for the (lack of) advice, and judgement despite not knowing any facts. Anymore keyboard warriors want to jump on their high horse and cast judgement?
I love LGX (lab-golden crosses) because they have a slightly higher success rate in the service dog world. Several service dog organizations will breed litters of LGX, but this is being done for a specific purpose based on research and none of these dogs are sold/introduced to the general pet population. With that said, I, too, am mystified as to what facts would make an LGX for the general pet population a good thing.

Golden Retrievers and Labrador Retrievers are both wonderful breeds with some similarities but many differences. You shouldn't be too surprised that folks on a site devoted to the preservation of the Golden Retriever breed would be skeptical of the need to produce LGX for pet population purposes.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I own 2 purebreds (both farm bred - 1 Golden + 1 Aussie) and a Chocolate Lab/Border Collie Mix (ranch bred). They ALL are great dogs and equally loved . People seem to forget that all "purebreds" were the result of humans putting 2 dogs together for whatever purpose suited their fancy.
As for the Lab/Border Collie mix; I get the best (and worst :LOL:) of both breeds in a single dog. Heck, the mix even has a name "Borador"..;)

Since your own dog is a Golden, I find it quite logical to ask your question in a Golden Retriever Forum, especially in the "general" section that you chose for your post.
Perhaps you will find some HELPFUL guidance and information in other dog forums, regarding your quandary.
Good Luck

·
Registered
781 Posts
Thanks for the (lack of) advice, and judgement despite not knowing any facts. Anymore keyboard warriors want to jump on their high horse and cast judgement?
Hi Alex, I hope that you and your friend have good intentions and just really love your dogs and think that having puppies from them would be great.

Here's the problem, in Vietnam there's a massive population of stray dogs already. What happens to these stray dogs? Some have really rough lives scrounging for food, the lucky die quickly of disease, some end up in wire cages at brutal food markets. So, no, no one wants to help you breed your dogs.

On a good note, the discussion in this post did motivate me to donate to the Humane Society International. I hope others think about doing the same if they can.

·
Registered
304 Posts
What are the facts? Enlighten everyone and maybe you will get more help.

I stated my case above after owning a beautiful Golden retriever/lab mix.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
There is a little more to developing a breed than just one person putting two different breeds together. We are fortunate to have the kennel records for the development of the Golden Retriever.
Other than SD organizations whose breedings are quite deliberately and thoughtfully done, there is zero reason to ever mix a Golden with any other breed.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I would like to point out that some of the mixing of breeds that is taking place is causing major health problems to increase at alarming rates. Look at the rate of megaesophagus in labradoodles and goldendoodles. I had noticed the trend myself in a FB support group I was a part of. There was an actual study done a few months ago and the doodles are now I believe the second most affected group. (not sure if you call them a breed) I don't have time right this second to go back and find the study but I wasn't shocked after seeing entire litters be placed in rescues that were ALL affected.

·
Super Moderator
3,859 Posts
Alex

In all likelihood you will not find much support here for what you want to do. I will not offer my opinion---keeping it to myself. Your question can bring on a heated and rude debate (read that as forum quarreling). I am hoping that this thread will continue to remain rather civil.

·
the party's crashing us
4,223 Posts
Yes!!
Take it as a sign from the universe that you were foolish to try to breed them, and karma made it unsuccessful.
If you genuinely don't understand why this was a bad idea, open up your ears and start listening to the people on this forum, and learn how to breed dogs in a responsible manner.
If you do understand why this was a bad idea, but just didn't care, then we can't help you. Maybe a few lawsuits after you produce mutts with genetic conditions that the new owners don't appreciate will get you to pay attention.

Here's some advice : Don't try to breed mutts. Get your dog neutered.

·
Read Only
125 Posts
@K9-Design neutering your dog can have health affects on your dog so just keep the dog away from females in heat would maybe be a better response.
Yeah i get that he would be breeding mutts but Goldendoodles ar mutts and people love them. My aunt and Uncle have a mini and standard size Goldendoodles. I have had people accidentally have litters and the puppys were all gone in like 3 or 4 days(when they were 8 weeks though). You guys don't have to be downgrading to get your point across. Just simply state your opinion if you want and if they take it good if they don't well then thats on them!
@Alex_Vietnam these people really know alot about the breed. My grandparents have had a lad-golden mix when I was 5 or 6 and she was great dog I loved her unfortunately they lived in an area where stealing dogs was rampant and she was stolen from the backyard while they were away.... so I mean you do you I'm sure you could look up info on youtube. But... I am not an expert and I am still learning and have a way to go. I found that this is a very sensitive topic as well so you may not find alot on this topic here. Good luck though!!

·
the party's crashing us
4,223 Posts
My opinion stands.

·
Read Only
125 Posts
I get that I wasn't trying to tell you to change you mind about your opinion. I was just stating mine. Now do I agree that there are plenty of mixed "mutts" to adopt and love. YES I DO. Patriot is my first puppy that I bought from a breeder (research now shows me that they weren't the most ethical but I was unlearned). All of my other dogs were adopted or rescued so I encourage adoption of animals!!! But... its their decision I was just saying some people like mixed dogs. I am not saying encourage the mixing of dogs. I am just saying not every body thinks dogs are like idols and that they can't be breed together. To even get a Golden Retriever you had to mix dogs so Goldens to some people may be considered "Mutts" because you had to mix dogs to even get a GOLDEN RETRIEVER. That is all I am saying

1 - 20 of 27 Posts