Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But we'd like to start introducing her to the concept!:D

We brought her home on Aug 29 and as my husband works from home, we've been able to spend almost all of her first few weeks in her new home with someone there. (I work outside the home, but always give lots of attention etc when I am there).

We are trying to crate train, and she does sleep in the crate beside the bed every night. We've started to also try and put in her the crate at random times throughout the day, so she knows it's not just a bedtime place.

The two times that we have left the house for short periods of time she has cried pretty much the whole time. (she is in her crate, which looks at the front door, so she can see when we leave/enter.) Does anyone have any tips? Should we just perservere and keep leaving her alone for brief amounts of time?
We got a great special treat that we put peanut butter in, but that only lasts so long, and then she is crying.

It's so difficult to know what to do, knowing that she is a social dog, and just wants to be with us. But sometimes, that is just not possible. I don't want her to be dependent on us being home all the time. We have a dinner to attend this saturday night, and I am dreading leaving her alone, even if for a couple hours...

I dunno, maybe this is just a rant, but if anyone has tips (how often to leave her, etc, what we should say/do).

Thanks!

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
I'm sure some of the breeders/trainers will chime in, but, I'm pretty sure they're gonna say stick to your guns. While she is crying now the sooner you get her over this hump the better. She needs to know it's OK that you're both not around sometimes so she doesn't start to develop seperation anxiety.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
She needs to learn to be by herself for a few hours at a time. How do you know she is crying the whole time you are gone? Are you videotaping her?

All dogs need to have alone time sometimes. It is good you are doing short periods of crate time to build up to being gone a few hours this Sat.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
turn the radio when you leave,and stick to the crate!!!! She will be OK.It's for her own good! And don't feel guilty.She is fine.I give mine a treat every time i am back to the house,so they know the goodies are coming.

·
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker
3,045 Posts
I always turn the music stations on through the television while I'm gone. Luke used to howl when he was younger if he was left alone with nothing on, and the music helps a LOT!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I would agree with the radio idea. I always think that the sound of voices helps them to feel like there's someone around, keeps them a little calmer.

As much as we'd love to be with our puppies all the time, in real life that's just not practical, so before this turns into a real problem for you, it's a good time to sort this out now, not when the dog is getting really distressed at 6 months or more.

I've never crated mine, preferring instead to restrict to one room, and have found it to not be a problem. Whether to crate or not is open to personal choice, and also whether the dog takes to the crate, I do believe some dogs never do get used to it!

Good luck, i'm sure you'll be able to leave the pup without a worry in the world very soon!

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
You need to let Mati know you have a life post haste. She will be a much calmer and well rounded dog if she is not controlling the household schedule. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks All.
We do the radio thing (talk station) and praise, and treats. I think I'll try moving her to a different view (outside, as opposed to the front door).

We haven't videotaped her, but assume she was crying the whole time, as she was crying when we left, and crying when we returned.

We're also looking at getting her a bigger kennel/crate. She can stand and turn around in the current one, but can't stretch out at all, which we know she loves.

Okay, thanks again for the advice (keep it coming if there is more!), but basically, I hear 'ya, "Suck it up!".

LOL...okay, will do.:wavey:

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Also, be real matter of fact and positive while crating her. If she hears the dread in your voice, believe me, she'll react. Out routine is always to say, go to your house......and off they go running to the crates. They know there's a kong with some kibble coming. Then ( ok bear with me), we say... We'll be back in 15 minutes in a cheery voice. And off we go. I really think once the excitement of the kong wears off, that they sleep most of the time we're gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts