Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE test results came back negative for MMM so I’m relieved. I’m waiting to hear back on what the next steps are because our poor baby keeps getting these random spouts of pain for a few days.*

This is regarding our 1 yr 9 month old Golden Retriever Tucker. I’m spiraling down a rabbit hole and still waiting on the blood test to see if he has an official MMM diagnosis. Last month (6/4/22) he yelped when trying to retrieve a deer shed when training. We thought he may have injured himself on the antler because he showed no signs of pain before then. For a few days he couldn’t open his mouth without crying but would eat and drink normal. Had a lot of drooling too. By the time a week passed he would only cry when mouth was opened wide manually by the vet when she saw him. She prescribed him gabapentin 300mg and carprofen 100mg and wanted to see him in two weeks to see if it got better or stayed the same to see if we need to test for MMM or any other possibilities. He was only on the meds for a week and was completely back to normal, with manual mouth openings he didn’t cry. On 7/26/22 he acted depressed and didn’t eat all day and made a half attempt at yawning so I tried to open his mouth and he yelped in pain. I put him back on the meds and made another vet apt. Since that day he was only showing signs of pain for three days and started acting completely himself with chewing on toys and rough playing. We saw the vet and he didn’t cry when she opened his mouth. She was stumped on what’s going on and she actually has two goldens that have MMM. We went ahead and did the blood draw to see if he has it. Now after four days of not being on any meds he started getting jaw pain again. He wasn’t eating all day today and he cried when trying to open his mouth to get his ball. My question is, does this look like typical early MMM signs to anyone with experience with MMM? I worry it may be since he’s been having jaw pain come and go for the past few months. Does early MMM come and go like this on its own without steriods?
Dog Plant Tree Dog breed Carnivore

1 - 2 of 2 Posts