Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
We entered a match show kind of on a whim and had a ton of fun!! It was a HUGE difference compared to the one from November 2020. Someone mentioned that he’s changed a lot even from a few months ago. We’re planning on showing in June, and maybe once more before the National :)

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 · (Edited)
Felix and I are entered in the OH class of a speciality in a couple of weeks. My friend has helped me immeasurably when it comes to grooming and handling advice, as well as just general show knowledge and encourgement. The other advice posted in this thread has been so wonderful.

I mentioned that I have a hard time not fault judging Felix, but I feel like I fixate on them. Overall I'm happy but I'm struggling to set up his hind end. I do need to clean up his neck and do general scissor work, but that'll be closer to show day. I mentioned that it looks like he "skipped leg day" because his front has so much more than his rear lol. I wish he had more coat than what he does.

This stack isn't perfect, but I was getting frustrated and I decided to end before I got too stressed lol. He's always better when we have space to gait into the stack but the yard is being renovated so it was unavailable.

We love this boy and despite the fact that sometimes I have a hard time seeing past his faults, I know there are parts of him that are good too. As he matures, he's been easier to practice ring work with. I have slowly come to understand that professionals are professionals for a reason.

I hope everyone else's show season is going well and I'm hoping to meet a lot of you in October!

·
Kate
22,462 Posts
I think he looks really nice in that stack. He's definitely growing up. <B

OH class - you typically are the only one in the ring. Might be different at a specialty, but typically.... That's good if you want a sure trip into the winners ring - and more experience in the ring with him, going out there a couple times.

Where it is tricky is having a quick stack (the 3-5 second stack) and making a big impression on the judge from the very small amount of time you are in the ring for your class - before you go into the winners ring.

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Thanks Kate! I’ve heard that I probably shouldn’t stay in OH too long, but I don’t think I’m ready for the open yet, maybe after a couple of shows!
I’m going to do my best to make an impression on the judge but I’m primarily using the show as a training experience for us.
We’re showing to Doug Johnson (learning all the judges us another experience!)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Felix and I are entered in the OH class of a speciality in a couple of weeks. My friend has helped me immeasurably when it comes to grooming and handling advice, as well as just general show knowledge and encourgement. The other advice posted in this thread has been so wonderful.

I mentioned that I have a hard time not fault judging Felix, but I feel like I fixate on them. Overall I'm happy but I'm struggling to set up his hind end. I do need to clean up his neck and do general scissor work, but that'll be closer to show day. I mentioned that it looks like he "skipped leg day" because his front has so much more than his rear lol. I wish he had more coat than what he does.

View attachment 883406

This stack isn't perfect, but I was getting frustrated and I decided to end before I got too stressed lol. He's always better when we have space to gait into the stack but the yard is being renovated so it was unavailable.

We love this boy and despite the fact that sometimes I have a hard time seeing past his faults, I know there are parts of him that are good too. As he matures, he's been easier to practice ring work with. I have slowly come to understand that professionals are professionals for a reason.

I hope everyone else's show season is going well and I'm hoping to meet a lot of you in October!
He's maturing nicely! You are going to have so much fun with him!

·
Registered
344 Posts

View attachment 883406

How old is he now? Gus was very slow to mature, and I know that him and Felix have many relatives in common. He’s looking good, and will definitely improve with age!😊

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
How old is he now? Gus was very slow to mature, and I know that him and Felix have many relatives in common. He’s looking good, and will definitely improve with age!😊
Felix is…22 months old now!! Carlotta told me Goldens look their best at 4-5, but I just want him to be his best -now- LOL.

·
Kate
22,462 Posts
Age 3 is about the point where they are at their best....

You can enter him in Ambred. That's pretty much where I'm keeping Glee for another year. He's filling out very nicely, but he definitely is more slow maturing than his brother who probably could have gone into Open by the time he was 9 months old.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Felix is…22 months old now!! Carlotta told me Goldens look their best at 4-5, but I just want him to be his best -now- LOL.
I totally understand! Gus will be 3 in August and he still doesn’t have as much coat as I would like, but they’re all beautiful dogs. I have no doubt Felix will get there eventually. Roma is his sister right?

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Age 3 is about the point where they are at their best....

You can enter him in Ambred. That's pretty much where I'm keeping Glee for another year. He's filling out very nicely, but he definitely is more slow maturing than his brother who probably could have gone into Open by the time he was 9 months old.
I can’t wait until three! I appreciate that advice. So Ambred is basically for dogs who aren’t quite ready for Open?

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
I totally understand! Gus will be 3 in August and he still doesn’t have as much coat as I would like, but they’re all beautiful dogs. I have no doubt Felix will get there eventually. Roma is his sister right?
One day 😭 and yeah! Roma is his littermate.

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
We competed at the MFGRC Speciality show yesterday...and it was fun! He was a bad boy but overall it was a good experience. I was very nervous and it was very obvious. I do have some regrets about entering the novice class because I felt rushed that didn't help at all with the nerves. I wish I had done more shows with him when he was younger, but here we are now lol. I got some wonderful advice from some wonderful people following the class and I'm hoping by our next show he'll remember that he's walked on a leash before. Enjoy!

·
Kate
22,462 Posts
Actually not that bad. :)

Leash handling and bait handling - these are 2 things you need to work on before the next show.

Talk to Amy if you are doing drop in there or somebody else nearby who can show you hands on how to hold the lead, where to hold the leash hand, and where to have bait when you are moving, etc.

My take remotely is take your time before you begin moving. Make sure you have the lead ends neatly folded in your left hand. Take the time to tuck the collar up under the jaw and set his head before you begin moving. Give all the bait from your right hand that you had been baiting with to him so he knows your hand is empty. I always keep a piece in my cheek to fish out when we stop and stack up.

Keep your bait hand quiet - you can have it out to maintain your balance when running, but you don't want to draw his attention with it.

Wait until you stop and stack before fishing the bait out to begin baiting again.

He stacked very nicely for you, stood very nicely during the exam. He looked well groomed and really looks ready to win.

The gaiting portion he was looking for the bait and was looking around to your other hand. That's the part to work on before the next show. But I think if you get that cleaned up, he should start winning for you. He looks good.

·
Kate
22,462 Posts

OK 1 stack nit -

When you do a fast-stack with him, place the judge's side first and then set his head. And don't pull his head too far forward.

You had time to set his feet and set his head because the judge was looking the other way. Most judges will literally turn their backs when you enter the ring and give you time to set up. Not so much with novice (I'll bet he didn't want a stack when you went it, but just sent you around), but definitely in the winners ring.

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Actually not that bad. :)

Leash handling and bait handling - these are 2 things you need to work on before the next show.

Talk to Amy if you are doing drop in there or somebody else nearby who can show you hands on how to hold the lead, where to hold the leash hand, and where to have bait when you are moving, etc.

My take remotely is take your time before you begin moving. Make sure you have the lead ends neatly folded in your left hand. Take the time to tuck the collar up under the jaw and set his head before you begin moving. Give all the bait from your right hand that you had been baiting with to him so he knows your hand is empty. I always keep a piece in my cheek to fish out when we stop and stack up.

Keep your bait hand quiet - you can have it out to maintain your balance when running, but you don't want to draw his attention with it.

Wait until you stop and stack before fishing the bait out to begin baiting again.

He stacked very nicely for you, stood very nicely during the exam. He looked well groomed and really looks ready to win.

The gaiting portion he was looking for the bait and was looking around to your other hand. That's the part to work on before the next show. But I think if you get that cleaned up, he should start winning for you. He looks good.

Thank you!! I definitely fumble the lead around and can't seem to balance lead vs bait. I feel so uncoordinated. I live kind of far from Amy but I think I can pull off at least one handling class and then come home and apply that here. I can also definitely practice that too, maybe even just practice bait placement without the dog so I don't fumble it so much. I also really can never figure out what to do with my bait hand but having it confidently empty makes so much more sense. I wish the dress had pockets. Now that we don't have to wear masks anymore I can start practicing with it in my mouth.

View attachment 883715

OK 1 stack nit -

When you do a fast-stack with him, place the judge's side first and then set his head. And don't pull his head too far forward.

You had time to set his feet and set his head because the judge was looking the other way. Most judges will literally turn their backs when you enter the ring and give you time to set up. Not so much with novice (I'll bet he didn't want a stack when you went it, but just sent you around), but definitely in the winners ring.
That is exactly the reason I got so flustered in novice. I walked in the ring ready to setup, but they were trying to tell me something. I couldn't hear them and then someone yelled "go around!" and I tried to gather my lead to go around. I kind of recovered but I felt bad for not being able to hear anybody. I didn't realize to start with the judge's side first and I'll keep that in mind when we practice too. Working on everything separately is easy enough but then putting it all together in the ring with a dog 3/4 of the way between adult and puppy brain adds another challenging layer.

He is starting to get the looks, now he just needs a handler to keep up with him!

·
Registered
344 Posts
We competed at the MFGRC Speciality show yesterday...and it was fun! He was a bad boy but overall it was a good experience. I was very nervous and it was very obvious. I do have some regrets about entering the novice class because I felt rushed that didn't help at all with the nerves. I wish I had done more shows with him when he was younger, but here we are now lol. I got some wonderful advice from some wonderful people following the class and I'm hoping by our next show he'll remember that he's walked on a leash before. Enjoy!

View attachment 883704

View attachment 883705

View attachment 883706

View attachment 883710

He looks great and has matured a lot since I saw a picture of him last!

141 - 160 of 178 Posts