Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
121 - 140 of 178 Posts

·
the party's crashing us
4,395 Posts
Okay not sure how to write this but I feel he is moving in a very restricted manner, like he wants to RACE but he's been corrected enough that he knows to behave and he's nervous to let himself be loose and easy. Am I right about this situation? He's holding his tail low and his legs are moving in a restricted, staccato cadence. You absolutely need to stop trying to run in flip flops, and get off the grass. I think these two things could be affecting it.

Reactions: Tagrenine

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Yes I agree completely! He looks his best gaiting when he is proudly carrying something in his mouth, but when on lead, he gets stressed because he wants to play and he can't play on lead. And also partly I think because he wants to look up at me and check in to see if he's doing it right. I can try practicing more gaiting without his lead on to see if that helps? Or maybe taking him to more exciting places on the show lead. Or I guess running faster. I'm not really sure, because now I have better control but he's having to restrict himself because of it 😅 I am also not very good at identifying what a good gait should look like. It is harder for me to see it.

·
the party's crashing us
4,395 Posts
I did also notice that you're looking right down at him when you're gaiting, and yes he's wanting to look up at you. I glance down at my dog the second we start out to make sure they're trotting and not pacing, then I look back up and GO. Best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Thank you! Hopefully time will improve things. I know I'll probably have to hire a handler but I'm hoping I really get to enjoy the experience of showing him myself 🥰

·
Kate
22,462 Posts
Thank you! Hopefully time will improve things. I know I'll probably have to hire a handler but I'm hoping I really get to enjoy the experience of showing him myself 🥰
I think that time will definitely improve things... just kinda see what other handlers do and mimic them a little?

As Felix learns his job out there (and from the videos it looks like he's getting the idea), you can relax a little and focus on doing other things. That will come.

After seeing Anney's comment was trying to think of what I normally do - and I think it's the same I do for obedience? I look at where I expect to see my dog's head, but kinda keep my head more straight?

@shoes - gotta admit that I'm kinda trying to figure out how noticeable it would be if when shows start up again, I go out there wearing my ryka sneakers.... literally only thing that lets me move freely with my dogs.

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
I definitely need to work on looking forward, it reminds me of when I ride and my trainer yells at me to keep my eyes up unless I want to end up on the ground. I just ordered a pair of sneakers and I'm going to have to use something sturdy because if I don't I know I'm going to fall out of my shoes. He can be a bit difficult to handle when he's excited.

I got the order of go for his match on the 28th and he's the only Golden entered in the open class lol. I think it'll be a good experience to get him in the ring without me being completely overwhelmed but I was hoping there would be another person I could ask for advice there lol. It looks like we go at 9ish and the show is over by 11ish. I'm tossing around the idea of entering him in the Lakeland shows, maybe one or two.

Thank you guy SO much for all your advice, I don't know if I would've come this far without y'all.

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Our first show wasn't a disaster!!

In all seriousness, I'm actually really proud of us. He did better than I expected him too and I didn't fumble around too much. I definitely picked up some things I need to remember for next time. We definitely need more practice and more exposure, but overall it was a lot of fun and fast. He got a toy for "winning" the breed. We ended up with the BOB (only Golden), Group 1 (out of two) and didn't place in BIS, but I'm more than happy with how he did :) The Great Dane got RBIS and the Whippet got BIS. I never realized how much work it was to keep his furry butt clean. I've attached some videos and pictures :)

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,279 Posts
Great to hear, now that you have the first one under your belt so to speak, you'll both be more relaxed and it will be even more enjoyable.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
He's looking really good, ( grooming, presentation). The only thing I would suggest is for you to try to relax more (easier said than done, I know) and don't bait him on the go 'round or the down and back. It messes up his movement because he keeps looking for the bait instead of just moving with you. When you do the go round, right before you take off, try taking a deep breath, then relax and show him there is no bait in your hand, then drop your hand and take off and try to look forward and not at him. If you feel you need more control, try shortening his lead more while gaiting him for awhile. You two look really good together. You just need to keep at it and you'll gain more confidence. He has grown into a very nice looking boy....

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Thank you!! Yes that is not something I normally do but someone at the show suggested I try it because I was really struggling to control him. I have blisters on my hand lol. But it was weird and I felt it didn't really do him any favors. I was a little envious of the Dane handler because her dog was so tall she could just grab his collar and gait him and had great control. I think the biggest thing is we need more practice in areas with other dogs. He is so good at home that I don't feel it is doing us any good to practice at home, so we're trying to plan another show to take him to, even if just for him to get experience going around the ring.

As for the nervousness, I kept telling myself that I wasn't nervous, but as soon as we stacked in the group ring, my leg started shaking 😭I had to calm down just so I could run. Overall, I'm mostly happy. Also the judge really wanted his attention and he wouldn't give it to her if I had the bait, so I ended up putting the bait away at one point so he would look at her. I'm thinking that is an important part of gathering expression? I'm not really sure, but she kept clicking and eventually pulled a peppermint out of her pocket to get his attention. She said "he must really like that hot dog you have huh?"

·
Super Moderator
1,207 Posts
He's looking really good, ( grooming, presentation). The only thing I would suggest is for you to try to relax more (easier said than done, I know) and don't bait him on the go 'round or the down and back. It messes up his movement because he keeps looking for the bait instead of just moving with you. When you do the go round, right before you take off, try taking a deep breath, then relax and show him there is no bait in your hand, then drop your hand and take off and try to look forward and not at him. If you feel you need more control, try shortening his lead more while gaiting him for awhile. You two look really good together. You just need to keep at it and you'll gain more confidence. He has grown into a very nice looking boy....
I agree with this!

Handlers usually only have bait in their hands for dogs that drop their head when they gait, but I don’t think Felix will have that problem. He’s ready to get up and go!

I have to get my brain in a totally different mode for conformation vs other venues. Conformation is about presenting the dog, while other sports are about teamwork. Now that Eevee knows what she’s doing, I’m trying very hard to minimize my handling of her. Meaning that I let her stack herself when possible and give her a little more leash than I used to, etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,207 Posts
Thank you!! Yes that is not something I normally do but someone at the show suggested I try it because I was really struggling to control him. I have blisters on my hand lol. But it was weird and I felt it didn't really do him any favors. I was a little envious of the Dane handler because her dog was so tall she could just grab his collar and gait him and had great control. I think the biggest thing is we need more practice in areas with other dogs. He is so good at home that I don't feel it is doing us any good to practice at home, so we're trying to plan another show to take him to, even if just for him to get experience going around the ring.

As for the nervousness, I kept telling myself that I wasn't nervous, but as soon as we stacked in the group ring, my leg started shaking 😭I had to calm down just so I could run. Overall, I'm mostly happy. Also the judge really wanted his attention and he wouldn't give it to her if I had the bait, so I ended up putting the bait away at one point so he would look at her. I'm thinking that is an important part of gathering expression? I'm not really sure, but she kept clicking and eventually pulled a peppermint out of her pocket to get his attention. She said "he must really like that hot dog you have huh?"
I have the same issue with Eevee re: not looking at the judge, so I’ve started faking having bait in my hand so that she will at least lean forward and not post, then I show her an empty hand and she will look at the judge when they ask for it. She’s so super food driven that I’ve had to really work on timing of giving it to her.

Also, when you showed his bite, you got in the way and the judge had to lean around you. Practice showing his bite to your partner without leaning over him so you get used to it without having to see what you’re showing.

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Thank you Maegan!! He loves to RUN !! Felix is like living in a fast and furious movie, everything happens at maximum speed lol. He is getting so much better at stacking and I know with more experience he'll be even better. I mostly sets himself up well and what I've realized I need to do is bait him forward a little, but that's mostly it.

And yes! I will definitely need a more efficient way to deal with the bait. I liked the slacks but it was way too difficult to fumble around with the bait in my pocket and took up a lot of time. That's something that I think will come with practice here, is learning how to control my limbs better and be more efficient.

As for his bite, I have a question. I don't think I'm presenting it back far enough, do I have to show all of his molars? I struggled a bit because she wanted to see more of the bite than I was initially showing and that is something I'll have to practice at home. Just manipulating him better and smoother. It was a super learning experience and I got more experience than I expected. And it was so much fun 🥰

·
Registered
2,986 Posts

I thought you were using bait like that to try to keep control.:) It's good to try different ways. You mentioned the Dane handler, she is almost to his collar. You can kind of imitate that by dropping your arm down farther and keeping the lead rather short while he gaits (not as short as with the Dane, of course). That might help a little. (I'm probably not explaining it well?) He's a beautiful, young, happy, wild boy. I had one of those once. The best dog I ever had. Sometimes with him it was more like wrestling an alligator than handling a dog.:) Have fun and enjoy the ride! And yes, they want to see all of the teeth. You have to stretch his lips back. I saw a video someone did on showing the bite. You could probably find something by doing a search.

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
I thought you were using bait like that to try to keep control.:) It's good to try different ways. You mentioned the Dane handler, she is almost to his collar. You can kind of imitate that by dropping your arm down farther and keeping the lead rather short while he gaits (not as short as with the Dane, of course). That might help a little. (I'm probably not explaining it well?) He's a beautiful, young, happy, wild boy. I had one of those once. The best dog I ever had. Sometimes with him it was more like wrestling an alligator than handling a dog.:) Have fun and enjoy the ride!
Thank you so much! I will definitely try that next time. He loves life so much and I want to try to foster that in the show ring. Within reason. He's officially starting OB classes in January too, so hopefully by the middle of the summer we'll have an obedience title on him. There is so much I want to do with him, I wish I had more time 😭 We are going to try to attend handling class again on Monday and I'll try a shorter lead then. I really appreciate your advice!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Let me preface this by noting that this is an observation, and in no way intended as criticism. It's simply a glimpse into a perspective on goldens that is well beyond anything that I imagined.

So, I've been lurking on this thread (a bit), and O, M. G. As a "pet owner", I feel this thread gives me some insight into the difference in mindsets between "pet" and "hobby". And, man, the difference is huge! If nothing else, this thread should be used to help all us "pet owners" to being to understand the mindset behind "hobby".

Recognizing that we all benefit from the hobbyist's dedication to the breed, I'm grateful to be freeloading on your efforts. In all honesty, we're insanely happy with our basic obedience, socialization, and grooming/husbandry routine. But, all this pales in comparison to the discussions y'all are having.

Best of luck in your endeavors, and thanks for that level-of-care that we all benefit from.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Thank you so much! I will definitely try that next time. He loves life so much and I want to try to foster that in the show ring. Within reason. He's officially starting OB classes in January too, so hopefully by the middle of the summer we'll have an obedience title on him. There is so much I want to do with him, I wish I had more time 😭 We are going to try to attend handling class again on Monday and I'll try a shorter lead then. I really appreciate your advice!
I had to shorten the lead sometimes with my "alligator" when he was a bit too "up". I've seen handlers do it with a new dog until they got into the swing of things, so it would be something to try, just when he gets to be a little too much. In most of your videos from when he was younger, though, he was gaiting very well without any problems and he looked really great. He was excited and having fun at the show. Sometimes they get full of themselves. That's not a bad thing. Years ago, the top golden handler at the time told me it's a lot easier to calm a dog down than it is to have to perk one up.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Blue Rose has a youtube video on how to show a dog's bite.......

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Thank you for the video referral! I will have to watch it tonight. I am hoping to be able to see Amy in January for grooming advice if we decide to attend a bigger, pointed show. Not that I'm expecting to win but I want to go preparing for the future! It is overwhelming sometimes, but I've been able to incorporate a lot. I know the competitive shows will be a different experience, but I have to start somewhere!

@SoCal I appreciate this! It is a lot to take in and requires a pretty good portion of my time and energy, second only to school lol. Hopefully this thread will be helpful for anyone else wanting to get started too and not even knowing how to start. There is so much good advice and experience here and I'm grateful to everyone who has offered it.

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I'm here to post an 18 month old update. Between all the classes and training I haven't put as much into conformation, so I cleaned him up the best I could for some progress shots. He's maturing, albeit slowly and the wind was working against us. We were supposed to do a big show in January, but a hot spot on his tail and a subsequent shave prevented that. I've been having a lot of fun with him practicing for other venues while I wait for him to mature to be competitive in the conformation ring. Plus it is giving more confidence. I feel like the more I learn about Goldens, the less I actually know lol.

Next time I'll set his hind feet a bit further back, but he was cooperative and he had fun and that was important to me.

This photo just makes me laugh because of the wind lol.

121 - 140 of 178 Posts