Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
the party's crashing us
4,236 Posts
When I stack a dog, I adjust front feet, then back feet, then go move the front feet back again about 1/2-1". Try this. Also, as mentioned above, if you're standing in front of him baiting, have the bait about at your waist. Lookin good!

·
Kate
21,229 Posts
The Booths (BlueRose Kennels) have a new YT channel and one of those videos posted recently, Amy demonstrating fixing that collar before you do anything else. And it's something I have been taught to do before moving my dogs - but I do definitely FORGET when stacking. And that's when you want the judge to see your dog's pretty head and neckline!

The linked video shows how to fix the "collar path" so you don't have that bunchy fur. Jump to the 11 minute mark.

On the subject of stacking your dogs and training stacks - both Amy and Phil did nice videos showing how to train stacks. Phil's is kinda how I do it the most, I think.

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thank you so much!!

We spent some more time practicing today and I have updated pics :) He was a good boy, but I feel like I definitely need to pay more attention to his hind legs. If I don't set him up right, he looks so straight in the back. But I definitely worked some more with his lead. He has this really soft fur by his years that is constantly getting caught in his lead and it's making it a little difficult to hold the lead above his neck. I'm wondering if I can use the stripping knives to pull some of that out?

But overall, I think his neck and head carriage looks better :) If I could combine the two photos, I think we'd have a perfect stack 😂 I'm trying not to push fro the whole image, just bits at a time, but I'd really like to start showing UKC with him this year. It's amazing how much proper stacking makes a difference 😅I'm glad I have time to practice, but I feel like I'm doing him a disservice by being a first time handler, it's a lot of work! You guys are amazing.

·
Kate
21,229 Posts
I use stripping knives and a stripper to clean all that out. And thinning shears.

Start with the stripper to get the bulk out.

Thinning shears under the ear flap and going around the "ear hole".

Stripping knife to finish.

Pictures much better. You don't want to block his face + don't feel like you have to be in front unless the judge tells you get out there (have only had that happen once)....

·
Kate
21,229 Posts

@Tagrenine - see the attached video. If you jump ahead to about the 9 minute mark, Amy's working with a young golden and talks about getting the headset while free stacking. <= I love this video. It's definitely something I want to practice if I can get the dogs out somewhere tomorrow morning maybe (we have disgustingly hot temps here in the 90's so dogs are mostly staying inside during the day)....

·
Maegan
562 Posts
@Tagrenine I know this has been asked before, but do you have any handling classes near you?
I went to class on Sunday for the first time in months and wore a mask and it actually wasn’t that bad. Our instructor has us running A LOT. One great thing about a good handling class is that they won’t just teach you the basics, they’ll teach you the best way to show your dog - meaning how to hide flaws and make your dog look the best it can.

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

@Tagrenine - see the attached video. If you jump ahead to about the 9 minute mark, Amy's working with a young golden and talks about getting the headset while free stacking. <= I love this video. It's definitely something I want to practice if I can get the dogs out somewhere tomorrow morning maybe (we have disgustingly hot temps here in the 90's so dogs are mostly staying inside during the day)....
Wow that dog is gorgeous!

I've been trying to practice teaching him to step as well! Felix will step using his front legs, but I can't get him to move his back legs without either completely resetting the stack or hand stacking them. I'm going to see if Amy has other videos. Mustapha told us to rub under his tail to relax him too, so I've been practicing that as well. Amy chooses to pick the dog up by the hind end and then adjust the hind legs accordingly, is there a reason to do it this way? Sorry it's kind of early and I'm tired, but I loved watching the free stack section and I'm just really hoping I have what it takes to get Felix to stack that well 😅 Right now I feel like my biggest problems are that 1) I constantly want to reset his feet because they never look right to me and 2) I feel like he always either posting or standing underneath himself. What he does really well is he stops without moving well. We've been practicing gaiting and transitioning into a free stack and I feel that's going well, I'm just not sure how to transition into him adjusting his legs into the right position without me doing it myself.
Another major issue is the HEAT. The high today is 93 with 80% humidity (and according to my app its supposed to feel like 100 :rolleyes:). He loses a lot of motivation to work in the heat and I can't blame him.

@ArkansasGold I just checked, but our classes are still closed :( I live in South Florida, and we're closing some stuff again, so I don't know how long it'll be closed :( I loved going and thought the other handlers were SO helpful and nice. The instructor isn't very friendly but she told me that if I want to do dogs I need to have tough skin cause there are judges out there a lot meaner than her 😅Regardless, I thought the classes were a great experience and I can't wait until everything is open again. I got an email yesterday that all of my fall classes are going to be done through remote learning too :(

·
Kate
21,229 Posts
I honestly haven't seen Amy do the butt pick up at shows - guessing this is something she does in training? This dog was one that was tucking his butt and curling his tail a little (not fear, just insecurity) in previous videos, so could also be something she's specifically doing with this dog?

If you are down in the Miami area - completely believe you re the heat. o_O! When we were down there many years around mid July - we basically only went outside at the crack of dawn (just a little before) and at nighttime. :) 100+ degrees during the day was hell. :D

Can you make a day trip or 2 up to Orlando area? Looks like the Booths are doing lessons at their facility (I'd do it if you can!). They also are doing grooming and handling seminars on Saturdays. <= I'd definitely do that just because if you look at that pup in the video. OMG he made me want to get my dogs in the bathtub and up on the table! :)

@ArkansasGold - lucky. I haven't heard about when handling classes will start up again. My gut feeling is we are probably looking at August/September. We've had obedience training classes OUTSIDE and not thrilled about that (walking/running on uneven hard ground = triggers my old calf muscle tears).

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I honestly haven't seen Amy do the butt pick up at shows - guessing this is something she does in training? This dog was one that was tucking his butt and curling his tail a little (not fear, just insecurity) in previous videos, so could also be something she's specifically doing with this dog?

If you are down in the Miami area - completely believe you re the heat. o_O! When we were down there many years around mid July - we basically only went outside at the crack of dawn (just a little before) and at nighttime. :) 100+ degrees during the day was hell. :D

Can you make a day trip or 2 up to Orlando area? Looks like the Booths are doing lessons at their facility (I'd do it if you can!)
I didn't know they were from Florida! I can absolutely make a trip up there! That would be wonderful and I have a feeling we could learn so much. Especially with a handler that works with Goldens! Wow that's really exciting o_O

·
Maegan
562 Posts
Wow that dog is gorgeous!

I've been trying to practice teaching him to step as well! Felix will step using his front legs, but I can't get him to move his back legs without either completely resetting the stack or hand stacking them. I'm going to see if Amy has other videos. Mustapha told us to rub under his tail to relax him too, so I've been practicing that as well. Amy chooses to pick the dog up by the hind end and then adjust the hind legs accordingly, is there a reason to do it this way? Sorry it's kind of early and I'm tired, but I loved watching the free stack section and I'm just really hoping I have what it takes to get Felix to stack that well 😅 Right now I feel like my biggest problems are that 1) I constantly want to reset his feet because they never look right to me and 2) I feel like he always either posting or standing underneath himself. What he does really well is he stops without moving well. We've been practicing gaiting and transitioning into a free stack and I feel that's going well, I'm just not sure how to transition into him adjusting his legs into the right position without me doing it myself.
Another major issue is the HEAT. The high today is 93 with 80% humidity (and according to my app its supposed to feel like 100 :rolleyes:). He loses a lot of motivation to work in the heat and I can't blame him.

@ArkansasGold I just checked, but our classes are still closed :( I live in South Florida, and we're closing some stuff again, so I don't know how long it'll be closed :( I loved going and thought the other handlers were SO helpful and nice. The instructor isn't very friendly but she told me that if I want to do dogs I need to have tough skin cause there are judges out there a lot meaner than her 😅Regardless, I thought the classes were a great experience and I can't wait until everything is open again. I got an email yesterday that all of my fall classes are going to be done through remote learning too :(
Sometimes if you pick up their butt (just a few inches) and set it back down, their back feet will land in the correct spot, maybe only needing minor adjustments. I find this a quicker way of hand stacking than adjusting each foot individually, but I only do it if Eevee is being squatty or if she's standing crooked. For the most part, I hand stack the same way Anney does (@K9-Design). Free stacking seems to be getting better with maturity for Eevee - she has much better control over her body now that she's gotten used to her own size LOL. I've been asking her to freestack for her coat supplement (it's made with peanut butter and honey and is a treat) and her meals and adjusting her feet as needed or asking her to adjust her feet, and I think she's really starting to understand.

·
Kate
21,229 Posts
I didn't know they were from Florida! I can absolutely make a trip up there! That would be wonderful and I have a feeling we could learn so much. Especially with a handler that works with Goldens! Wow that's really exciting o_O
DO IT!

Amy is one of those who has voluntarily come over and helped me and given me advice. She's really nice.

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Sometimes if you pick up their butt (just a few inches) and set it back down, their back feet will land in the correct spot, maybe only needing minor adjustments. I find this a quicker way of hand stacking than adjusting each foot individually, but I only do it if Eevee is being squatty or if she's standing crooked. For the most part, I hand stack the same way Anney does (@K9-Design). Free stacking seems to be getting better with maturity for Eevee - she has much better control over her body now that she's gotten used to her own size LOL. I've been asking her to freestack for her coat supplement (it's made with peanut butter and honey and is a treat) and her meals and adjusting her feet as needed or asking her to adjust her feet, and I think she's really starting to understand.
I'll try to get a video today so you guys can critique my method :) It'll have to be later, because it's very very hot outside, but hopefully you can let me know what to change! I hand stack similarly, but due to my inexperience, I think I spend too much time nitpicking and I know both he and I get frustrated.

@Megora done! I've sent them an email 😊

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yesterday we met a couple with a very large Golden. Not fat, but like, MUSCULAR. Like holy cow this guy was beefy, big head, huge thighs, etc. Showline, but BIG. We were talking and she said, referring to Felix, "He's got to be part English cream! That's why he's so thin". I was a little shocked because nobody has every called Felix thin and while I agree he has a lot of filling out to do, I didn't expect the connection of "scrawny = eng cream" lol. I explained to her that he's 11 months old and she said "oh okay" but goodness lol

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,808 Posts
Yesterday we met a couple with a very large Golden. Not fat, but like, MUSCULAR. Like holy cow this guy was beefy, big head, huge thighs, etc. Showline, but BIG. We were talking and she said, referring to Felix, "He's got to be part English cream! That's why he's so thin". I was a little shocked because nobody has every called Felix thin and while I agree he has a lot of filling out to do, I didn't expect the connection of "scrawny = eng cream" lol. I explained to her that he's 11 months old and she said "oh okay" but goodness lol
I hope you told this woman-"well bless your heart........."

·
Super Moderator
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I tried to resist the urge to say anything, but I couldn't let that comment slide 😂 Neither her nor her husband could fathom that he was just a puppy and not "part english cream".

41 - 58 of 58 Posts