Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
181 - 200 of 214 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
He's beautiful and you should keep at it! You're doing such a great job with him. He's still a young dog.
Thank you! I hope to. I have started interviewing for medical schools and the dog show stress is a good distraction from the medical school stress. It just means I have less time for the things I enjoy 🤣
If he does start winning with a professional, I’m going to try to soak up as much as I can to understand why he’s winning with her and what she’s doing to make him stand out.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Thank you! I hope to. I have started interviewing for medical schools and the dog show stress is a good distraction from the medical school stress. It just means I have less time for the things I enjoy 🤣
If he does start winning with a professional, I’m going to try to soak up as much as I can to understand why he’s winning with her and what she’s doing to make him stand out.
Congratulations! My SIL is an ophthalmologist and I remember when he was doing all of that. It's a lot of stress. Graduation is exciting, so something for you to look forward to. It was fun when they announced which schools they would be going to. We also went to his white coat ceremony or whatever it was called. Such a proud moment.

I'm sure all the experience helps plenty when handling a dog -- and I imagine some have a gift also as far as that is concerned.

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Thanks Diane! It is stressful and I like to joke that if med school doesn’t work out I’m going to show dogs professionally 🤣

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 · (Edited)
Felix is back with us for the foreseeable future now that the national is over. He had two Ibizan hound ladies here to keep him busy. He did good out and I’m happy with how well taken care of he was and how much work was put into him. He is indeed a lot of dog and showing him is work!
Also, especially comparing him to the fine animals in Ocala, he is noticeably out of condition. It’s one thing when he’s the only Golden you know, but between stewarding the CCA and watching the class and breed dogs, I really understood just how much more he needed to bulk up -and- drop. His handler as such gave me that as homework for when she’s able to take him again.
For now, he’s going to be showing with me and I’m hoping to finally get points myself with him 🤣 here are some pics of bad man
Dog Fawn Companion dog Grass Carnivore

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Whiskers

Dog Carnivore Fawn Grass Dog breed

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Working animal

I’m sorry if these are huge, formatting doesn’t make sense on mobile

i forgot to add one of my favs!

Dog Carnivore Mammal Dog breed Collar

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Thank you!! Wish I had seen you and Logan if you went ?
My niece (husband's sister) got married over the weekend in Charleston, S.C. It was a Thursday night reception and Friday night wedding.

Wish I had been able to come and see everyone!

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
We finished up a show weekend in Ocala where I was planning to show him, but his breeder offered since they would be there too. Felix lost all weekend but at least he lost for free 😎 Sunday was too hot for him and he did not show well, but Friday was the beginning of something good and Saturday he really started to look like a show dog.
Some feedback I got that I can do at home is: weight loss, he is still a couple of pounds overweight, more conditioning (I just ordered a treadmill so we’ll see if that helps), and I need to spend way more time engaging with him and helping him to understand that the dog show is something to take seriously and not goof off in.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

Dog Pet supply Collar Dog breed Fawn

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fence Companion dog

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Fawn

·
Kate
22,962 Posts
Mmm.... bowing to the knowledge of the breeder who - I believe her husband is a very successful handler.

But looking at the pictures, I don't think he's overweight persay... he just needs conditioning to buff up a little more. More muscle....

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Yeah that’s the gist of what I got. His ribs are pretty palpable but comparing to other dogs I got to run my hands over, he has a lot he needs to gain muscle mass wise. He is basically in “pet” condition and not working condition and he’s a little flabby through his shoulders.
Im pretty tired of losing but it has shown me how much work goes into producing a winning dog.

·
Kate
22,962 Posts
He looks gorgeous and clearly well trained based on those pictures. He is vey close to that point where dogs start winning everything.

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
He looks gorgeous and clearly well trained based on those pictures. He is vey close to that point where dogs start winning everything.
It means a lot to metaphorically hear you say that. The journey has been a long one. One of the first questions I asked on this forum was something along the lines of “do you think his paws are good enough to be a show dog?” And I think I’ve come a long way from there 🤣

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,957 Posts
He does look a little heavy I guess, but not bad. I do like to see a cut-in on the loin. But my problem is usually my dogs are too thin rather than too fat. I think he looks good! And he looks like he knows his job!

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
He does look a little heavy I guess, but not bad. I do like to see a cut-in on the loin. But my problem is usually my dogs are too thin rather than too fat. I think he looks good! And he looks like he knows his job!
Thank You!! I’m hoping we can get the fitness we want him in before Royal Canin but he really has come a long way from the gangly puppy I started this thread about 🤣

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Seeing him in person and having hands on him, definitely not fat — but (and we talked about this) could be fitter and more conditioned, but you’re doing everything to get him there! And I agree with Megora, I feel like he’s almost at the point in looks and maturity to really start being competitive. Even at the National wasn’t playing as much and was engaged with the handler, he’s getting there. He’s a really really nice boy. Hang in there…it’s coming!!

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
We got a DogPacer last week and have been using it daily. Our goal is 2 miles a day and when I have time 4 miles. These are on the preset settings and the 2 miles takes 30 minutes at varying speeds.
One of the benefits I’ve noticed is his pacing. I think he is really starting to understand his body because when we first started, he was constantly trying to pace. The last couple of days he’s been correcting himself into a trot and today he was trotting at every speed, even when the treadmill slowed down. It really reminds me of training a green horse.
I’ve added a photo of what one week has done to his body condition. I know the shadows aren’t helping, but there has been a little bit of progress.
Dog Dog breed Working animal Carnivore Fawn

·
Registered
328 Posts
We got a DogPacer last week and have been using it daily. Our goal is 2 miles a day and when I have time 4 miles. These are on the preset settings and the 2 miles takes 30 minutes at varying speeds.
One of the benefits I’ve noticed is his pacing. I think he is really starting to understand his body because when we first started, he was constantly trying to pace. The last couple of days he’s been correcting himself into a trot and today he was trotting at every speed, even when the treadmill slowed down. It really reminds me of training a green horse.
I’ve added a photo of what one week has done to his body condition. I know the shadows aren’t helping, but there has been a little bit of progress.
View attachment 887585

Hey there! He's looking good! I think part of it is simple maturity, but exercise certainly doesn't hurt. We also started to use a Dog Pacer after final OFAs - LOVE it! I ABSOLUTELY think that it helps the dog understand what trotting is, as opposed to pacing - my dog immediately breaks into a trot on the Pacer now. With our weather extremes, it is a lifesaver with our high-energy boy! I want him to understand what a trot is not only for conformation, but our obedience trainer likes him to heel in a "working trot"...so useful all around. My boy trots often naturally to travel here or there, but now he also does it when prompted. Keeping him in hard, working condition. ;) Best to you and your boy!

181 - 200 of 214 Posts