Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dobe, who is only 2.5 years, has a growth on his hock. Hoping it's a Histiocytoma, but I do have suspicions it could be a Mast Cell Tumor as well.

In terms of age Histio is much more likely, but I've also read that dogs are typically under two and they typically occur on the front half of the dog. I've also read they are hairless and Ivan's hair is still visible on this growth.

In terms of Mast Cell Tumors one of the symptoms would be Darier's Sign. It was light pink when I first noticed it and for a few days there after. However, when I really took a look at it and manipulated it, within less than 24 hours it was bright red.

Ivan is going to the vet tonight, but I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight as to distinguishing between the two and suggestions on how to proceed. Also, I know Grading for Mast Cells is important, but say if it is even only a 1, how easy would it be for them to get clean margins if it's on his hock?

·
Sasha, Honey & Toro's Mom
741 Posts
I don't know specifics, but the best thing is to get it checked out by a vet. Our Honey has had lots of bumps. Most are insignificant, but two have been mast cell tumors which were safely removed because we caught them while they were still small and managed to get clean margins. So, from my experience, the best thing is to just get all bumps checked at the vet. Our vet has all of Honey's bumps mapped out a paper.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I hope it turned out to be a Histiocytoma, but if it is a mast cell and they confirmed with a fine needle aspirated I hope they gave him an injection of Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) if not I would make sure to get a dose in him. Best of luck!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ivan is out of surgery. It went well.

Now the wait for biopsy results. . . :( So hoping it was a histio. Otherwise the location makes me worry about what would have to come next because of the difficulty in getting good margins.

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
I'm glad the surgery went well and I am praying for you and Ivan.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
My Daphne had what we suspected was a mast cell tumor inside her ear flap. We just went ahead and had it removed. She was about 9 at the time. We decided not to have it tested, as she had survived breast cancer about two years prior. She healed up just fine. She had a kink in her ear flap for a few months.

I hope everything turns out ok.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Ivan

So glad Ivan is out of surgery and praying it is fine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ivan's in the clear - it was a Histio. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts