Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maddie is almost nine now and we were just informed she has mast cell cancer. We have an appointment with a surgeon next month. I'm so sad. She's gone from a difficult but smart puppy to an amazing companion and therapy dog. She has quite the following of people who love her.

I'm so hopeful that this is a only a blip in her life. Have any of you had experience with this? I've read up on it and it isn't super cheerful.

Gwen

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
That is such a sweet picture of Maddie. I am so sorry you are going through this. I don't have any experience with this but I'm wishing the best for Maddie.

Reactions: Gwen_Dandridge

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
Gwen.... I'm so sorry. :(

I have a friend here in MI who lost one of her old guys - he was 16 years old. Back when he was 7 or 8 years old, they found a mast cell tumor on him. He was not the only dog in his particular lines (Meadowpond) who had this happen at that time. He survived it - and he had his whole life ahead of him. He died of old age.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was told that if it's caught early and removed, it's not that likely that another will come back, and that it can be years before it's potentially an issue again. So hopefully it will be so for you!

·
Maegan
737 Posts
My Rocket had a mast cell tumor a little over a year ago at less than 4.5 years old, but they got it all and he has been totally fine since then. Mast cell tumors are actually the most common type of cancer in dogs as a species, and if caught early, it's usually not a big deal. There are many success stories of dogs getting them at a fairly young age, having them removed, and never having another one. Hopefully this is the case for your girl! The worst part for Rocket was that he wasn't allowed to run for 2 weeks because of where his incision was.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts
My boy Lincoln was diagnosed with mast cell in August, 2019. We opted against surgery because of the location of the main tumor. He also has 2 smaller ones on his legs (which were not recommended for surgery because they didn't feel they could get clear margins). Following a battery of tests, we were told the cancer hadn't spread to any other location; so that was another reason for not doing surgery. He will be 12 next month and is still doing well. The tumor on his underside has grown a bit since first diagnosed but it has not slowed him down at all. We are on the benedryl/pepcid protocol and it seems to have kept things in check.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Honey had one at 1 yr old, she's 10 now. Keeping you in my thoughts!

·
Super Moderator
1,723 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. My aunt's dog had a very large mast cell tumour removed 1 month ago on his forearm. He is recovering well, but due to the complexity and age ( he is 13 this year), they could not get a very clean margin so it may reoccur. He was not a candidate for limb amputation due to a prior IVDD diagnosis and his weak hind legs.

Sending kind thoughts to Maddie, please keep us posted. ):

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,173 Posts
You should look into Artemisinin. It is used in treating malaria as it's attacks high iron cells which is what tumors collect and use to grow. The highest quality is from hollypharma.com

Using this on a mammary tumor that spread to the lungs in my last Golden. U of Penn gave her 3 months, she lived almost another 2 years. It reduced the size of the nodules over 50% and kept them from growing again for about 18 months but never cured obviously. Kira never knew she was sick even in the beginning until about the last 3 weeks or so. Success and efficacy can vary from dog to dog just like in people.

There are a handful of cancers Artemisinin has been reported to help against and mass cell is one of most susceptible to it.

When I found out about it and spoke to U of Penn about it they said they had a study already going about Artemisinin (this was back in 2015) which surprised me. So since the study had started she couldn't be added to the study but they were onboard with me trying it. I have no idea is the study has completed or not. I did not know how long it was scheduled for.

Here are a couple links I had booked marked. I thought I had a few more and am looking.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hoping you the best with the surgery! I am surprised that the surgery has been scheduled out so far. Our 1 year old had a suspicious tumor show up on his front leg. The biopsy was non conclusive, so they took it off the next day! Turned out not to be a cancer, but I appreciated that they got the surgery scheduled post haste!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gwen.... I'm so sorry. :(

I have a friend here in MI who lost one of her old guys - he was 16 years old. Back when he was 7 or 8 years old, they found a mast cell tumor on him. He was not the only dog in his particular lines (Meadowpond) who had this happen at that time. He survived it - and he had his whole life ahead of him. He died of old age.
That's comforting. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot to mention, that is a great picture of a really nice looking Golden! Best of luck to both of you....
:) Yes, she's a really, really nice and nice looking golden.

Reactions: 3goldens2keep

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that My dog's tumor grew to the size of a baseball. The vet did not recommend surgery in the beginning cause he said would spread cancer and her old age. Her large tumor turned neurotic 2 yrs later, and some gangrene inside which the vet said happens when bump gets large strangled the oxygen and it turns necrotic. So we put her to sleep as she was 16 yrs old. And it would continue to necrotize

1 - 16 of 16 Posts