Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm located in Maryland outside of DC. My family and I are looking for a HEALTHY lovable puppy. No show dog, just a great family companion. We prefer the goldens that are red, as that is what we have had in the past. Our last golden passed away in March 2014 at the age of 8 of cancer. We were and still are heartbroken over her short life. The breeder we got her from did not return any phone calls or emails to inquire if there were other issues with her siblings. I do not believe this breeder is still in business. Anyway, does anyone recommend anywhere in the mid atlantic region for a RED golden? Very willing to drive up or down the east coast.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Rush Hill has darker goldens. They aren't located near you if I am recalling correctly, but you could look around to see if anyone is breeding their line in your area. :)

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I would say no based to this breeder solely based on the lack of health testing of the breeding stock. Breeding Goldens should have Hips and Elbows tested at or after 2 years of age, heart tested by a cardiologist at of after 12 months and eyes annually.

If you don't care about the health testing for your puppies parents, I would still say no based on price $1000.00 is very pricey for just getting AKC papers which honestly don't mean much with out health testing and accomplishments by the parents. For that I would expect to pay $700.00 tops in a very expensive area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts