Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cody needs a new collar soon and I am not sure what to get. Is a regular collar better? I am thinking the Martingale style might be chocky. any thoughts?

p.s. this Etsy Seller has super cute collars. I am thinking of getting Cody and our kitten matching ones!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5582173&section_id=5597234 And no, that's not me trying to solicit myself.lol

·
Park, Cam and Ty Rule!
1,038 Posts
We use the martingale style for our dogs and I love them!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We use the martingale style for our dogs and I love them!
They don't chock the dog?
I bought a gentle leader easy walk harness, which I am still on the fence about. So if it doesn't work out I will just go back to the collar. I just want to make sure it wont chock if he pulls. Mind you, he chocks him self sick on a regular collar anyway! lol

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I like both, Maddie had a martingale collar when she was younger and she has a regular collar now. I found a product called "Mendota" they have a martingale style collar and lead - I like it because it's so easy to just slip on her head. http://www.mendotaproducts.com/sliplead_comp.html I saw your other post after I posted this, I brought her to obedience class wearing the martingale collar/leash last week (keep in mind she was very excited and pulling alot) and she was choking herself.

Those collars look great, thanks for posting the website!

And hgatesy, I LOVE the picture of your dogs it's so cute!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like both, Maddie had a martingale collar when she was younger and she has a regular collar now. I found a product called "Mendota" they have a martingale style collar and lead - I like it because it's so easy to just slip on her head. http://www.mendotaproducts.com/sliplead_comp.html I saw your other post after I posted this, I brought her to obedience class wearing the martingale collar/leash last week (keep in mind she was very excited and pulling alot) and she was choking herself.

Those collars look great, thanks for posting the website!

And hgatesy, I LOVE the picture of your dogs it's so cute!
Thanx!
I think I just have a chocker, lol
Until he clams down and relaxes a bit it is probably something that will happen no matter what.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Thanx!
I think I just have a chocker, lol
Until he clams down and relaxes a bit it is probably something that will happen no matter what.
Yeah I'm actually thinking about trying one of the "pinch" collars or giving the Gentle Leader another try(she wasn't a big fan when she was a puppy and kept rubbing her face on the ground). She gets a bit too excited at obedience class and was choking herself on the martingale, but I can't control her head enough when she's on the harness.

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Martingale

We have Martingale Collars for both Smooch and Snobear>
Smooch has Hot Pink and Snobear has Purple.
Our next door neighbor Kate, uses one of those spike choke collars on her 2 year old Golden Retriever, Wrigley!!!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I a huge fan of the Martingale collar. They can be adjusted so they only tighten to the level of a snug collar when tightened and no further. They don't crush that gorgeous golden mane the way a regular collar does. I've also never had a dog back out of a Martingale like I have had happen a number of times with a regular collar.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I love Martingales, too! Abby's not a leash puller but she is a sniffer and a dawdler so it keeps her going in the right direction without choking her. Finny still has a prong collar, he is hopeless.

I think premier pets has a good assortment - www.premier.com

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you for all the opinions.
I think I will get martingale to try.
Now I just have to wait for the right pattern from that Etsy store, hopefully before he out grows his old one.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I don't think you will regret it. Adjust it so that in the tightened position you can easily slip two fingers under the collar. Check it on a regular basis as he grows. Lupine makes some very nice collars also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts