Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok we have discovered that Joy LOVES marrow bones. Our local butcher even cuts them to size so they are not too small or too big. My question is how often or how much is too much. She apparently digests them well and the certainly are a great pacifier. We gave it frozen ant it lasted about four hours. Any thoughts.

·
16,000 Posts
I have been giving them weekly, and when I do, I cut back on the amount of kibble that they get that day, as they are very rich and this helps to prevent diarrhea.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have been giving them weekly, and when I do, I cut back on the amount of kibble that they get that day, as they are very rich and this helps to prevent diarrhea.
I'm glad for the tip on cutting back the amount of kibble on a day they have a marrow bone. It's only been the past couple of years I've tried giving them a couple times a month. It's been great for the teeth and the dogs love them, but I can almost count on them getting soft, if not diarrhea, stool later in the day. Next time, I'll cut back on the dinner kibble as you suggest.

·
16,000 Posts
I'm glad for the tip on cutting back the amount of kibble on a day they have a marrow bone. It's only been the past couple of years I've tried giving them a couple times a month. It's been great for the teeth and the dogs love them, but I can almost count on them getting soft, if not diarrhea, stool later in the day. Next time, I'll cut back on the dinner kibble as you suggest.
It does help. I might also recommend that you consider adding probiotic to the diet (I use Nature's Farmacy Digestive Enhancer). It helps so much with digestion, absorption, etc, and since my dogs have been getting it regularly, soft stools, gas, bad breath, side effects from meds, etc, are a thing of the past.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I feed one marrow bone every other week. You're lucky you have a great butcher! I too cut back kibble by 50-75% for the meal after the marrow bone - I always feed them in the morning or afternoon so a slightly smaller breakfast, marrow bone, and then 50-75% cut back on the kibble for dinner. Thanks to PG I started feeding Natures Farmacy Dogzymes too and they really are great!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. It is tempting to go more often. I am glad I asked. We will exercise caution.

Joy's Dad.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem going more often, but that would be more like feeding a raw food diet, and you'd want to research what other things you need to supplement with - depending if you believe in BARF or prey... I'd think more than once or twice a week would probably change the nutrition your dog is getting quite a bit. I love raw bones! Milly went from having pretty bad plaque, and some vets even wanted to put her under for teeth cleaning (I said NO WAY the plaque wasn't that bad to go under for just a teeth cleaning at her age) to amazing pearly whites! The vet I go to (who I don't really like... but that's another story, and I'm about to switch) couldn't believe she hadn't had her teeth cleaned ever, and kept asking what teeth maintenance I did! Her teeth look great! After that, every dog I own will get marrow bones!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
It does help. I might also recommend that you consider adding probiotic to the diet (I use Nature's Farmacy Digestive Enhancer). It helps so much with digestion, absorption, etc, and since my dogs have been getting it regularly, soft stools, gas, bad breath, side effects from meds, etc, are a thing of the past.
I have lots of dog stores near me. Is this a product I'd likely find at most of them or is it an online product? Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts