Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Sorry for the delay in replying - had a busy day yesterday and also some internet issues!

So, good news is Marley is MUCH better, the scan showed up nothing in his stomach. The vet came round, with an English speating vet nurse so we could discuss what had happened.

The vet say the problem was that Marley picked up a bacteria from the lake (apparently quite common with this lake) which made him vomit, he has quite a sensitive stomach so I guess all the vomiting inflammed his stomach lining etc and made it worse. Also he was not eating and I was giving him strong anti biotics which was causing more vomit as his stomach was empty.

Now the vomiting has stopped and he seems to be doing great, his appetite is back, although I am only feeding him a little at a time. He is the same Marley he was before! I am so happy!!

Thank you for all the help and thoughts, it means so much. My fiance couldn't believe it when I told him of all the messages and support we were recieving!

The bad news for Marley is that his days of swimming in the lake are now over!!!

·
3 goldens
11,709 Posts
I am so happy you got to the bottom of it and he is on the road to recovery. And you are right, he nees to stay out of that water.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I'm so thrilled to hear Marley is doing better! The language barrier must be exasperating...Thank Goodness you found someone to help with translation. Glad to hear he's on the mend. He'll be back to his wonderful puppy self very soon. I guess you really can't drink the water!:yuck:

·
she'll always be the one
2,452 Posts
Great news!! So glad he is on his way to a full recovery - get him his own baby pool to play in for water fun. :)

·
Administrator
16,464 Posts
I am glad they have now found out what maybe the cause of all of this. I am sure he will miss the lake but it is better to be safe than sorry.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Oh Happy Day !!! I've been waiting for your update, hoping it would be good news :)

Antibiotics, I didn't think of that! When Daisy was on Cephalexen after her ACL surgery, they made her very sick. One of the few times I saw her lower eyelids droop. She looked like a bloodhound. She just didn't feel well at all, wouldn't eat. I was worried enough to take her into an emergency vet. Took her off the antibiotics and she was back to herself the next day. Some antibiotics just don't sit well in the stomach.

This is wonderful news! I'm so relieved :D

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I am so glad that Marley is doing so much better. After going back and pasting all your posts to the other thread, I saw the antibiotics and lake and wondered if it could be the two of them. But didnt have alot of time to talk about it. Bama cant handle alot of the antibiotics and they will bother his stomach. Now Beau has a cast iron stomach.
Good luck on Marley staying well and getting back to his wild happy self. Hugs to the both of you (((((HUGS))))

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I'm SO glad!!!!!! I was waiting for an update and hoping all was well!!

I hope you can resolve his sensitive tummy and find some "maintenance" you can do to help keep him feeling his puppy self!

HUGS!!!

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
So glad that the problem has at last been sorted - hugs coming for Marley

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
I'm so glad to hear that Marley is doing better! You must feel sooooo relieved!! I can only imagine how helpless and horrible you must have been feeling to not know what was wrong :( I second the idea of getting a kiddie pool for Marley to play in - he'll love it! And I believe it was Jo Ellen who mentioned once putting goldfish in it so they can go fishing...now there's an idea!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts