Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a first-time-dog-owner-to-be and I really like this kennel and was wondering if anyone had used it? The breeder is a former vet tech and canine control in her area and seems very knowledgeable and friendly.

http://www.maplelanegoldens.com

Any advice/recommendations would be most welcome. I also checked out Chrys-Haefen but after reading some of the posts, changed my mind.

Thank you,

Jennifer

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!! :D I am from Hamilton. You will find many Golden lovers in Ontario ;)

I am by NOOO means an expert... but here is my 2 cents...

1) She seems to say most of them have been screen for hips/eyes/heart/thyroid and some genetic diseases... however I couldn't find any of her dogs' clearances in the databases (OVC or OFA) after a quick search, using "Maplelane" as a query. Nor could I find her dogs on k9data.com? Normally you would at least see the hips results I think? (also what about elbows?) Maybe I'm just missing them though. Anyway make sure you see an actual paper copy of the clearances (you can find screenshots of what they are "supposed" to look like on the forum somewhere).

(EDIT TO ADD: I did just find "Kaos" (Maplelane's Perserverance, CKC#UA214668) in the OFA database, with his thyroid clearance only.)

2) Under litters, there seems to be 5 litters planned in 2010... with at least 2, possibly 3, going on simultaneously. IMO this is rather high... though to be fair, it seems most of those dogs are (co-)owned by and/or living with other people for most of the year... however, as I'm assuming they are coming back to her to have their litters, this still seems like a lot happening at once! IMO I think you would prefer to see only about 1 or 2 litters a year so you know that each one is getting enough time and attention.

Anyway I'm sure you can get more information from her directly, rather than just picking through her website like me LOL Her dogs are gorgeous and many of them seem involved in dog activities, which is great! But I would definitely have some questions, if I were you.

Good luck on your puppy quest!!! :D

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!! :D I am from Hamilton. You will find many Golden lovers in Ontario ;)

I am by NOOO means an expert... but here is my 2 cents...

1) She seems to say most of them have been screen for hips/eyes/heart/thyroid and some genetic diseases... however I couldn't find any of her dogs' clearances in the databases (OVC or OFA) after a quick search, using "Maplelane" as a query. Nor could I find her dogs on k9data.com? Normally you would at least see the hips results (also what about elbows?) Maybe I'm just missing them but they should at least be listed. Make sure you see a copy of the clearances (you can find screenshots of what they are "supposed" to look like on the forum somewhere).

2) Under litters, there seems to be 5 litters planned in 2010... with at least 2, possibly 3, going on simultaneously. IMO this is rather high... though to be fair, it seems most of those dogs are (co-)owned by and/or living with other people for most of the year... however, as I'm assuming they are coming back to her to have their litters, this still seems like a lot happening at once! IMO I think you would prefer to see only about 1 or 2 litters a year so you know that each one is getting enough time and attention.

Anyway I'm sure you can get more information from her directly, rather than just picking through her website like me LOL Her dogs are gorgeous and many of them seem involved in dog activities, which is great! But I would definitely have some questions, if I were you.

Good luck on your puppy quest!!! :D
I second all this. The dogs I did search I could not find on K9 Data or in the OFA database. This is a huge red flag for me.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Another place you can start your search is the GRCGT (Golden Retriever Club of Greater Toronto) site. http://www.grcgt.org/?q=node/115 Lots of good advice about how to find a breeder, as well as links to member breeders. We have a pretty strong Code of Ethics--I'll admit I not neutral, it's my club!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've actually met a few Maple Lane goldens. One of them was in Lucy's puppy class. Good looking dogs and from what I've heard the breeder does continue to keep in touch in a supportive role after the pups have gone home. They're pretty popular around here and seem to come with decent recommendations. I haven't done any looking into them myself. You could email/call the breeder and ask about the couple of points that Zephyr raised.

There's also the Puppy Buyer's Check List in the puppy forum to help you out as well.

Good Luck! This was the hardest part about getting a puppy for us.

Heather (Arcane) has a litter coming up! We LOVE our pup from her!

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
When we were looking for our pup, I didn't like what MapleLane had to offer. In addition to what others said above, I also thought there were too many litters going on at once, among other things.

We have so many great responsible/reputable breeders in Southern/Central Ontario... CarolinaCasey listed a couple below and a few off the top of my head are:

- Stormynights (Have a look at this recent thread that has some -recommendations from some active members on the forum)
- Animation Acres (New Golden Mom's Rufus is from there)
- Arcane (Heather) has some beautiful dogs in her breeding program and comes highly recommended as well!

In The Pink is where my dog, Molson, came from (he is actually the "cover dog" for their website, and you can also see lots of pictures of him through the facebook link in my signature)

I also agree. I would have numerous questions to ask this breeder.
IMO, you should continue looking. There are many good breeders in/near Ontario.

Try these: Most are near Ontario...
Acane (a member here!) http://www.arcanegoldens.com/
In the Pink Golden Retrievers http://www.inthepinkpets.ca/New/Welcome.html
Ambertru: http://www.angelfire.com/on2/AmbertruGoldens/
Don't be afraid to ask if you have any more questions, we are here to help :)
Good luck in your search and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Stormynights Goldens has a litter on the ground right now.
Kim does all the clearances and produces beautiful dogs.
OK, so I may be a little biased :) :)
(Timber is a Stormynights pup!!)

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I see a lot of red flags with this breeder....

Mainly lack of clearances like elbows, and while it says 'hips, eyes, blood, and heart screened' it does not actually include the information or numbers as to what that means. It could easily mean their vet has said the dog is healthy, it could mean everything's done right, but you can't tell without asking (which, if I really wanted a pup, I would be questioning big time).

She also has a 'foster' program because her dogs are raised in a kennel, not in the home, and that the dogs are used for breeding starting at 18 months, which means they would not have OFA hips or elbows cleared yet. Then the 'retired' breeding dogs are placed in homes.... not what I like to see as a regular practice (most breeders I know keep their own dogs in the house, have litters and own the dog for life as a pet first). That and the number of litters, lack of titles on the dogs..... lots to question on this breeder.

I would check with some other breeders and clubs near you, ask them about where to find a puppy if they don't have anything upcoming. Assume they won't want to say anything bad about a breeder but will send you to some great ones if they can't help you, and look at lots of them and compare.

Lana

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
She also has a 'foster' program because her dogs are raised in a kennel, not in the home, and that the dogs are used for breeding starting at 18 months, which means they would not have OFA hips or elbows cleared yet.
Just keep in mind that the breeder could possibly be using OVC for hip/elbow clearances, etc., which can be done at 18 months old.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Just keep in mind that the breeder could possibly be using OVC for hip/elbow clearances, etc., which can be done at 18 months old.
True, but there are no dogs on their database with the word 'maple' in their names that I could find there. So if they are indeed done (I would hope so!) they are not in the database.

Which seems a bit fishy, combined with the fact that the website says elbows on a few dogs but not all....

Lana

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, I can't believe how quickly everyone has responded, I really appreciate the advice. I guess I will keep on looking and check out some of the kennels that you recommended to make sure I purchase the best pet!

Any other recommendations or suggestions are still welcome, I will definitely keep reading the boards!

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
True, but there are no dogs on their database with the word 'maple' in their names that I could find there. So if they are indeed done (I would hope so!) they are not in the database.

Which seems a bit fishy, combined with the fact that the website says elbows on a few dogs but not all....

Lana
I think with OVC the dog's owner has the choice to enter the dogs in their online database or not... but I'm still skeptical as to if they passed, why wouldn't they want it in the database?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So if the breeder was able to provide the hip, eye, heart, and elbow clearances prior to purchase, would you then believe it was safe to purchase from them?

I have made an appointment with Stormynights and will also check out In The Pink; Arcane sounds promising, too, but as I live in Toronto it's a bit far for us.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
So if the breeder was able to provide the hip, eye, heart, and elbow clearances prior to purchase, would you then believe it was safe to purchase from them?

I have made an appointment with Stormynights and will also check out In The Pink; Arcane sounds promising, too, but as I live in Toronto it's a bit far for us.
I would shop around for sure, and talk to several breeders about what they do, the parents and so on before deciding. Ask for referances, see what their contracts consist of, meet them, the dogs and go from there. Maple lane may totally be on the up and up, I don't know and can't say for sure either way. I just know for me, I'd want a pup from parents who were a bit more active in shows and performance events than from a breeder who just does clearances and doesn't seem overly active in the dog world. Have you checked with the Toronto Golden club for breeders?

Lana

·
Registered
810 Posts

I live 40 min north of Toronto, pretty much straight up the 404. We didn't find the drive out to Heather's to be too bad. Right out the 401. Lucy did great on the way home from Heather's. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Luci and Yorkie, are Arcane's dog English or American golden retrievers? I like the look of the English goldies, but I'm not too particular because no matter which puppy is put in my arms, I know I'll love them to bits!

Met with In The Pink (inthepinkpets.ca) and liked them quite a bit. I asked to see all the clearances and proof of their pedigree and they were more than happy to show me everything.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Heather (Arcane) uses mainly American bloodlines, although there is some English breeding behind some of the dogs in her pedigrees as well. Focus on getting a healthy puppy, with full clearances and a supportive breeder--far more important than English or American style when you are looking for a family companion!

·
Registered
810 Posts
My Lucy is leaning towards looking like an English style golden. Short, sturdy and a blocky head. I like that look better too.

Sterregold is right though, health comes first.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts