Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Mandy's Home
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is a very sad day at our house. This afternoon we took Mandy to be put down at our vets.
She has been affected by renal failure for around 2 months plus both of her hips were bad. She was only 4 yrs. old. We had fed her presciption foods and done everything to make her better but she had refused to eat at all the past week or so and because of that her strength became less and that affected her ability to walk easily. The last couple nights she had begun moaning all night and we decided that all of us had put up the best fight that was available for her to still enjoy her life and do it without pain.
We are having a hard time tonight because she was our baby and we are missing her but we know that we did the best for her by releasing her to cross the bridge. She is painfree and happy once again.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm so, so sorry! What terrible news. Know that you made a humane and loving decision that was best for her. You'll be in our thoughts. Take care.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I am so very, very sorry for your loss of Mandy. I know how what a hard thing it is to make the decision you had to make. RIP sweet Mandy.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Mandy is now well and pain free running and playing at Rainbow Bridge.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of Mandy. It is hard losing them at any age but 4 years is way to young. May all your memories and the love you shared help you thru some of the pain. My heart goes out to you.

Run Free Sweet Mandy. You are loved and missed.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If I am very sorry you lost her but know you did your very best and she was well loved. I wish you a joyful reunion at the bridge when the time comes.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
So so sorry. Four is just way to young. Godspeed sweet Mandy and gentle hugs to you.

·
Kristy
9,954 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. We had to have our 10 year old golden put to sleep in October. My 7 year old was crying for him last night at bedtime and of course pointing out the unfairness of her friend's dog still being alive at 13 when our dog didn't live that long. It was hard having to tell her that it is a part of life that is hard to understand and that she is right, it is unfair. I reminded her that Baxter is in heaven and is never tired and his body doesn't hurt anymore. She wanted to know if he wished he could be with us still and I told her I felt sure he would love to be with us but he knew we loved him and wouldn't want him to be here when his body was too hurt and tired to live. It seemed to satisfy her. I'm sorry you only had 4 years with your dog, it is unfair. No matter how many times you tell yourself you were lucky to have the time you did, it still leaves you feeling powerless and angry.

I guess the really hard part of death is that it is 100% non-negotiable. Learning to deal with it has helped me realize that the love we feel for the humans and animals in our lives is nothing short of a miracle. The pain of being left behind wouldn't make me trade a second of the time we've been given with someone we love, person or dog. And that is truly a gift.

I hope it helps a little in the coming days and weeks to know that you are not alone.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Rest in peace beautiful Mandy. 4 years is just too soon for such a wonderful animal to grace this world.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts