Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my husband wants a bloodhound, we have three beautiful golden girls who get along great, no alpha personalities. my question is, should we add another female or a male? opinions needed please. thanks

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Has your husband ever lived with a bloodhound?????
Hehe...I had to laugh. One of my cousins had 2 bloodhounds for many years. They are VERY strong-willed dogs and do that LOUD baying! Once they get going, they don't stop too easily! They are beautiful dogs, but wow. They are a lot of work! I won't even mention the drooling! While I think they are adorable and can be very sweet, it's not a breed that I would ever choose to own! :)

·
16,000 Posts
I showed horses for years with a girl (she was my maid of honor, too) who had Bloodhounds. They are about the most difficult of hounds to live with. They drool BUCKETS. They have a "unique" odor (even when bathed frequently) and to say that they are "stubborn" is hardly descriptive enough. I like 'em. As long as someone else lives with 'em.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have seen two Bloodhounds in my life. One of them was in our obedience class. The instructor worked privately with the owner and her dog before class. The class was held outdoors and he howled all during the class - perhaps because we were outdoors. My Golden seemed really curious about him - I think because of the howling. The Bloodhound got along with the other dogs and seemed friendly to the instructor and other owners; however, the howling was non-stop. At first it was amusing and then I wondered how someone lives with that.

The other Bloodhound is an older dog. He is very big. We see him at the dog park all the time. He doesn't run - he lumbers. He seems to be in command when he is there because of his size. The other dogs sniff and go. We were once throwing a ball and it went in his direction. He picked it up, put it down, then laid on the ground with his paws over it. When my dog sniffed to find the ball, he landed in front of the Bloodhound. The Bloodhound gave him a warning growl. His owner corrected him but he seemed to ignore her. Then she tried to get him to come over to her and he did not get up. When I saw that, it registered as defiance - but now hearing other explanations, I think stubborn is what I really saw. She went to him, lifted his paw and retrieved the ball.

I know nothing about the breed other than what I saw. Do you know why your husband wants a bloodhound? Not sure if I read that . . . You may want to have a discussion with him about that. Maybe he could volunteer at a humane society to get a sense of the different breeds - or maybe you could foster a Bloodhound. I would want to know more - right now, it would be difficult for me to understand given my own frame of reference. I love Goldens - and a Bloodhound seems to be so far from that based on what I have seen . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts