Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It's a very individual thing. Meet both the parents if you can. That will tell you far more about how they will be as adults, than their sex will. My little girl ended up being so much like her mother - very sweet, submissive and cuddly. While I was trying to decide between a male or female I read a lot of things about females being more independent etc. But, I wanted a smaller dog. I went with what I wanted and got a female. Mine couldn't be more attached at the hip, and I couldn't be more pleased :)

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
With Goldens? Of course, each dog is different, but "in general" what I noticed over 12 years of working with goldens at a service dog facility was that the females were more "chill" if you will, and less clingy.

The boys were exploding with personality, act first and ask questions later personality, and were more wanting to be in your lap if they could.

Our last dog was a female (and my BF wanted a male at the time), and I wanted a male this time (and he wanted a girl this time).

I don't think you'd make a bad choice either way.

·
Kate
21,426 Posts
I've never had a head butting boy, but all my girls will use their head to force a pet.
Bertie is our second boy who does that...

He's not shy about going up to complete strangers and use his nose/head to force them to touch him/put their arm around him. I'm pretty sure he did something like that to a judge in the show ring at one time.

My Jacks will nudge for attention, but he's a lot more gentle and polite about it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think it's very individual but from my own personal experience (and I've had both sexes), unless I meet one that is 'exceptional', I will never own another female again.

My Mozart's Mom is AMAZING. She's very gentle and extremely well behaved which explains why my breeder chose her for her breeding program - her temperament is exceptional. Personally though, I will always choose a male.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
There is an overwhelming amount of people on almost every thread that debates about sex preferences that seem to say males are superior. I am going to have to get a male sometime to see if they really to stand up to the hype! In the meantime, I am going to keep on adoring my little girl. Maybe she is one of the AMAZING ones! No "head-butting" except when she wants me to flip-over her bone when she wants to chew the other side -- yes, she likes when I hold her bones for her while she chews -- quality bone time -- families that chew together stay together!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
3Pebs3, I think you and others who say there aren't inherent differences are likely more right! I heard "girls say love me, boys say I love you" and variations of this and believed it, before I got my male!

Whenever I read posts on the puppy forum, I see there are more individual differences between dogs than there are of gender. The only thing I think could be true (esp based on survival needs) is that females tend to mature faster over males. And, females, based on anatomy, are more likely to have UTIs as well as incontinence (due to spay) at some point in their lives. But, I am far from an expert, so I really don't know.

I didn't know my dog's mom too well-- meaning I didn't spend hours and hours with her-- but she was very sweet, jumpy (not skittish, but she liked to jump!), had no resource guarding, and was very, very friendly.

My dog has started pawing at people to pet him. Not everyone! Only DH and my daughter's friend (we managed to get him to lie on his side when she came and he pawed at her to pet him). But, he is not a big cuddler in general, though he has his moments. He does want to be with us all day.

·
Kristy
9,603 Posts
Honestly, I have always had males and I knew that's what I wanted this time around, except I waited and waited and waited and then there was no boy for me.... I decided to take the girl and I'll always thank God it turned out that way, my Ellie is pure joy and I couldn't imagine life without her. I am pretty sure I will go forward asking the breeder to help match the personality traits that I'm interested in and sex of the puppy will not be a primary deciding factor.

·
In Macau
221 Posts
My only thought from my experience, my girls were more affectionate with the male from the family, the boys with the ladies. Other than that they all have such different personalities.

I miss my puppy to adore me but this time I got a girl and she's daddy little girl even though he actually doesn't really gives her as much attention or takes care of like me. Daddy is the reason to live and tail wag for, Mom is, you know, the butler, the maid. There's some tail wags there and smile but the big explosions are for Dad. God forbids mom leaves me with dad, he's clueless (at least she knows that part)

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Funnily enough, Pilgrim attached himself most firmly to my son, while the girls have all been mine. Even my husband, who gives the most treats, doesn't get the "Woo-hoo" dance when he gets home.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There is an overwhelming amount of people on almost every thread that debates about sex preferences that seem to say males are superior. I am going to have to get a male sometime to see if they really to stand up to the hype! In the meantime, I am going to keep on adoring my little girl. Maybe she is one of the AMAZING ones! No "head-butting" except when she wants me to flip-over her bone when she wants to chew the other side -- yes, she likes when I hold her bones for her while she chews -- quality bone time -- families that chew together stay together!
You should try a boy!

Honestly, it might be breed-specific. I recall watching a show where a German Shepherd male puppy was rejected for the Police program because of his personality- they took the female instead although, not before commenting that many service dogs in the industry are males.

I confess that I was warned by a few breeders who knew I have children, not to get a female. I'm not saying that males are 'problem-free', on the contrary! And as I've stated before, when you look at the female who has the puppies, you know the breeder has chosen her because she has a gentle an amazing temperament but there are never any guarantees that you will get a female puppy from her that will be identical to her personality.

Where Goldens are concerned, honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either sex. Our neighbors across the street have one of each and both are exceptionally well behaved and loving companions

·
Duke & Nala's Mom 🐾
658 Posts
What I have experience since I have both female and male puppies now. Nala is a lot smaller, so yes size is definitely something to consider. But she is also more of a lap dog. Duke has a personality of a squirrel where everything excites him and by you wanting to cuddle means to him "LETS PLAY"!
Nala likes to constantly follow me and she will even whine if I'm not near her. I've also noticed right from the beginning that she wags her tail excitedly more than Duke has.

For me, females are more willing to cuddle from the very beginning and males are more free roaming until they are older, as Duke still doesn't want to cuddle. But we are praying!

Note: this is also from experiencing only having females in my childhood.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Think of young human boys and girls at the playground and there you go.

Boys duke it out and shake hands afterward. Girls not so much.

Girls want attention on their terms, boys are all over you with affection.

Of course my analogy can differ. I've seen both tomboy gals and prissy boy Goldens over time.

You get what you get, either gender will be your best dog ever.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I love them both, and would go either way. Both are different in training, which makes it fun. My girl notices everything in the room and is very careful with what she does. My boy is only focused on me and will knock things over to do what I want. Both are very smart and successful with their training, I just have to work with each differently. My boy sleeps on top of my pillow above my head at night, and my girl sleeps on her own pillow next to me. She is a princess, loves to be spoiled, he is my bud, always glued to me. Both follow me around the house and are always looking back to make sure I am following on walks. Love them both to pieces and would take a male or female any day.

·
Riley
1,023 Posts
I feel Link is still too young to really compare him with Zelda, however -

Z is more conscientious about the things around her - stepping over poop piles, not walking into doorways, etc.

She was pretty focused at 10 weeks old when we trained, whereas Link is more distractable.

Link is more independent than she was. Zelda never entertained herself, but Link will chew on a bone by himself for quite some time.

Link seems to be more oblivious - but Zelda is also pretty oblivious depending on the circumstance.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My female was the smartest dog I ever owned but a little bit**y. Two of the males I had - not so smart but great personalities. The new male pup seems to be pretty smart, so far.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts