Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum and i couldn't find a similar thread...forgive me if i overlooked it.

Anyway, we're getting a puppy this winter. We've always had girl goldens, but i'm interested in trying a male!
However, my parents were told when picking out a puppy, to go for the girls...? so, they, along with a few other members of my family, would rather get a female again.
So, all you people that have had both girls and guys, what are the advantages/disadvantages of either gender?
I think as long as the dog is neutered/spayed, there shouldn't be really a whole ton of differences right?

Thanks!! :D

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
It is said that boys are :"love you, love you" and girls :" love me, love me!". I must have a boy in a girl's outfit...love girls!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I love my boy dogs, they are such goofy lovebugs. I have heard that girl dogs can be a little more bossy and on their own terms with you, but tons of people on the forum have super sweet girls too so who knows. :)

·
Teddy and Dakota's Mommy
493 Posts
I really wanted a boy because I had always heard that boy Goldens were more lovable but we ended up getting a girl because her temperment was better suited for us. I would NEVER trade her for anything. She is the most lovable dog ever. She is by my side constantly and is the biggest cuddle-bug going! However, she isn't like that with everyone in the family, her and I seem to have a special bond so I'm not sure if that affects it. But she is very protective of the kids and is "maternal" with them which is great. It would be very hard for me to get a boy golden now.:p:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I only have a 6.5 month old "teenager" but she is super sweet and loves to cuddle when she is not a wild puppy. I've never had a male dog to compare to, but I love my little girl!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Well they do not call them "bitches" for nothing. ;)

Just kidding, at least when it comes to Golden Retrievers. The males will tend to be a little larger and more powerful but other than that really not much standard differences between them. You should be happy with either provided they are well bred for temperament.

Reactions: HiTideGoldens

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your opinions everyone!
I loved my girl too! she was cuddly and sweet, and had the best temperament in the world...I'm glad that the males are that way...maybe even more so! :D
Anyone else's experiences welcome!

·
Finley's pop
51 Posts
I've only had one boy, so my experience is quite limited. We were told by a breeder many years ago that "the girls love you, but the boys are IN love with you." Not sure how much truth there is to that -- and even what the difference would look like in a Golden anyway; they're such wonderful dogs regardless.

We're getting a new puppy soon; we told the breeder that, all things being equal, we'd lean toward a boy just because that's what we had before. But I don't consider it a critical factor -- way more important that their temperament and energy level is a match for our lifestyle.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,670 Posts
I have one of each, I love them both because their personalities are so different.
I'm on my second boy, he is very similiar to my bridge boy in the respect that he's all boy-full of it, so much fun, but he also loves to cuddle. He's my buddy.

My girl is not a typical girl because she is a former puppy mill momma-she has NO attitude. She is very shy, sweet, gentle, and loving, but she's also a Tomboy when she's outside and a wild woman when I take her to the beach. She's a daddy's girl.

Whether you choose a female or a male, you will love them.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
We have one of each and Jack is definitely more "love me! love me!" in terms of affection, but we like that. Chloe loves attention and is very snuggly as well, but she's fine to do her own thing at times too. If we're sitting on the floor Jack will weasel his way into our lap if Chloe is getting attention, Chloe will just find something else to do. She is also a bit more stubborn about random things, but I've found her a bit easier to train generally since she's so food motivated. :)

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I have 2 females and 2 males.....All are very loving and sweet. My girls are the bosses , but my males dont care..... Cant go wrong with either.

Reactions: fostermom

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I have 2 females and 2 males.....All are very loving and sweet. My girls are the bosses , but my males dont care..... Cant go wrong with either.
I have one female and two males. The female is the boss, but the boys don't care. I never had a male until I adopted my older golden, I will always have a male in the future.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I have had a girl and now have a boy...have found them very different. My girl was in love with my son and was very much her own self..did things on her terms with regard to affection but was affectionate...just wasnt an in your face affectionate type dog but very much a childrens dog. She was gentle and mellow and very easy but had her rules. Not a heavily felt presence...just comfortably there. My boy is very in your face loving and affectionate and a very felt presence and doesnt care whose terms the affection is on as long as its there! I would say he is harder work but also more fun, its like having a child again...they were equally loved but just very different. Girls are cleaner as long as they are spayed as they dont have all the boys bits issues ....I would love to have one of each as they both are lovely...tough choice :)

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Having owned 3 girls and now finally having a boy, I have to say I will never go without a boy in my life! He is very attached to me and wants to be near me all the time. He loves to cuddle and is so goofy!
The two lab girls my mom has back home are great, but they don't really like to cuddle much and are fine being away from you. They just don't have that goofiness that boys have which I love.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I am a "breeder" but if I could only have one golden, it would be a boy. Not a question about it!!! :)

I love the look of the boys with the bigger boxier heads and the substance to them. But, I also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their personalities. They will stand on their heads to try to make you happy and just love everyone. I find their super outgoing, bouncy, gregarious nature to be a joy.

That isn't to say that the girls don't have wonderful temperaments-they do. However, I also say that the girls have their own agendas-and that is not species specific! lol They tend to do things on their terms when it will suit them and the boys just wanna play and be loved with no ulterior motives.

Over the years, we have had people get a male dog even though they owned females before. I don't know one of them that has been disappointed and many of them tell me now that they would never have anything but boys. Although, let's face it, a golden is a golden and they all have a wonderful way with people, which is one of the reasons they are such a popular breed! :)

Jennifer
Harborview

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I've never had a boy, but I love love my girl. And honestly, if I get another puppy, it will be a girl again. I've had two wonderful girl goldens and why fix what ain't broke?

But I think either sex will bring you loads of joy.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I have 2 boys and 4 girls, all house dogs. The 2 boys are certainly more in your face. Two of the girls are like that.. in fact they sit on my lap. I adore both!!! And the boys are very clean, they are not like terriers in the house!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I've only had boys. My first two were just love bugs! Toby is usually in my face but also a real love bug too when we are relaxing. We call him our Diva Dog because he's a boy with a Toby'tude.

To be perfectly honest, I highly recommend either a boy Golden or a girl Golden--you cannot go wrong whichever gender you choose.:D:smooch:

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
My boy Georgie lies under my computer desk.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts