Votes: 123 33.2%
  • No Preference

Votes: 73 19.7%

• Total voters
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Mommy to Hudson :)
196 Posts
I have had both, female and male. I love both of their unique personalities. That being said, if I absolutely had to pick, it would be male. My boy is my shadow, and always wants to be close to me.. he is the best when it comes to cuddles too! :)

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I think it depends on the pup, I have had both and have had one of each sex that I would consider a heart dog. When you still talk about them 26 years after they've passed, you know they're special. I feel blessed to have had such wonderful dogs in my life.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Boys say "I love you I love you" and girls say "love me love me."

Girls are more independent and stubborn, boys just want to give love. I would choose a boy for that reason. That being said, there's no other feeling in the world that can compare to receiving love from a little girl Golden.

I only have one now, a little girl.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So glad i searched for and Found this thread.
With previous dogs ( different breeds herding / working types) i had the best rapport with females.
When we got Penny-pup i figured female is the way to go. She definitely Does have an independent streak !! Yet can be absolutely crushed by a stern word ! Makes training quite tricky.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I went to look at the pups wanting a male. I really like the more regal masculine look of the males but, when I got there the one who was going to be the darkest colored (I like the darker color), and came out to meet me was a female. So, she came home with me. She is a very clingy, loving dog and is my baby. I still prefer the look of the males but, I've had many dogs of many breeds/sexes (I have a male GSD also now) and she is my favorite. Will my next dog be another female? Can't say for sure but, it will be a golden. That's what matters.

·
Registered
736 Posts
No preference. My mom thinks female dogs are better, and male cats are better. This logic got us a cat that only likes two people (me and my sister) and hates strangers. Our first dog has zero interest in me, which shows me how warped me mom's logic is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I voted no preference but I had a girl growing up and I can say her temperament was great so sweet! We have another dog non golden he is a fiest and he was always willing to cuddle and is attached to everyone in my families hip. So when I got a dog of my own which is a Golden I wanted a boy hoping he would be the same as our other boy dog and I do have to say he is a sweetie but is not to big on cuddling and is very independent. If I had to choose again I still would not have a preference.

·
Registered
63 Posts
To me either is good. Both have their pros and cons and as far as dogs I have owned both male and female. When I found Luna I was looking more at dogs in general but when she ran up to me licked me and looked at me with those big brown eyes how could she not be mine!

·
Sheila 91-99; Haley 01-12
1,301 Posts
Each of our 3 Goldens have had their own unique and wonderful personality. Our first, many years ago, was a female, Sheila, coming from a BYB and carrying a load of health issues. But she was so wonderful that when we finally got over losing her at 8 (brain gone haywire, suspected tumor), we looked for another Golden, only this time I was aware of puppy mills and BYBs and was determined to find one whose parents and hopefully, grandparents, could be certified as alive and healthy, from responsible breeders.

When I found a breeder of show dogs in New Mexico that seemed right for us, my husband drove out to inspect the place before bringing the puppy home. The breeder proved to be just who we were looking for, and the puppy was wonderful, healthy and well put-together, only a little small. The breeder told me later that our Haley (a male, whom we named after Halley's Comet) actually turned out to be the best of the litter. He was unforgettable. We didn't even think about another dog for over a year after he died. But when we were finally ready, we wanted another male, like Haley. However, Haley's breeder is no longer showing or breeding, due to injuries from a car accident.

We found a local breeder who had done DNA testing of the parents for known risk factors and who is focused on the health and optimal upbringing of the puppies. Summit, our new male, is more determined and not as easy-going as Haley. His personality was clearly discernible at around 5 weeks. He appears to evaluate the situation in a way that I've never seen in a puppy. I can see German Shepherds doing this. He's smarter than his littermates and than our previous Goldens, and he's already even closer to me than Haley was. He is so precious to me that I'm no longer sure that I can take the risk of losing him by taking him on our none-too-safe off-trail long backpacking trips. So--we may end up only day-hiking with Summit, not going into true wilderness.

I don't think Summit has a strong "male" personality especially. He just has a strong personality. I could see him as a female with no difficulty.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'd say one of each! lol I have a male and a female and they are so different yet so incredibly sweet and loveable. Both have all have those sweet traits a golden should have. Cons to a male is marking but that's not hard to control. Cons to a female is the heat cycle. Neither con is that bad so....since I couldn't choose I say one of each! ;)

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Dog Lover
42,034 Posts
Female and male

Prior to the last few years, Ken and I have always adopted a Female and a Male.

It has been a very wonderful combination and I think that FEMALES are so sweet-my Smooch and Munchkin sure were!!

This is the first time we have two males and it happened because Tucker reallyn eeded a home. Tucker is wonderful and I LOVE and adore him, but I also love
females, too!!

81 - 91 of 91 Posts