Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a Golden (they look so sweet!), but I don't know if a girl or a boy? Are they different in anything?
Any recommendations??? Let me know.

Kiagi :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Kiagi,
I've got both of them. Male and female. But for a beginner I find female to be a better choice. Female dogs are said to be easier to train. Also, some dog lovers consider females more affectionate and companionable.
A female dog can hold her urine longer than a male--some can wait as long as twelve hours if necessary--which might be an advantage in a household where no one is home during the day
On walks, a female will usually empty her bladder all at once. A male dog may urinate in little spurts her and there, and it can seem to take him forever to relive himself, especially on cold winter nights.
LG

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

well, we have a female and I guess it will make me more biased towards having a female dog. I think that all that Leena wrote is probably true about males, but females are also not so innocent... ;)
If the female is not spayed, she usually is in heat (estrus) twice a year for 3 weeks - so it might be a bit messy, plus you really have to watch out for the last couple of days of heat because the desire to mate is tremendous (this means you must exactly monitor when the heat started, how many days, etc.).

However, when there is female in heat, the males really act out - surprise, suprise :rolleyes: !!!

There are lots of discussions among dog/cat lovers for spaying/neutering, mostly argued for the snik snak as the good choice. I'll open a separate topic for this, as I definitely find it worth discussing.
Generally, the spaying/neutering is supposed to make the job and life of the owner easier and more convenient - hey... that sounds like this society!;)

V.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kaigi,
Males - Females
Growing up, my parents bred all different kinds of dogs. Until I had a golden, I believed that males were more dominate...you know, all the basics.

We now own both male and female goldens. They are both wonderful, if well bred. Males get 10-20 lbs larger than females, something to consider. Males are said to be more affectionate than females. I would have to agree, although my females are sweeties too! But, if we could only own one, it would be a male. This is such an opinionated topic... I would suggest choosing the breeder that you plan to use and visit the parents (if possible) of the pup you plan to get and decide which you like the best.

Whatever you do, remember you are taking on a HUGE responsibility and this will be a family member for a long time. Do not make a decision you are unsure of.
Happy Puppy Looking!!
Tricia

·
Registered
77 Posts
Some people refer that it's considered better to get a dog of the opposite sex.
Kaigi, what is your case? Female?
Although I am not sure why and how this is handled if there is more than one person getting a dog... :)

Alright, I know, I am being funny.

Tricia, I am not sure if males are more affectionate than females, I think this is a matter of opinion.

Not to forget, this question could be dependent on the breed, but my opinion is that in the case of Golden Retrievers there's not usually a big difference between male/female.

pepe

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pepe, I don't agree. Goldens are very different from one another.
In fact, their personalities differ very much.
It all depends on owners how their dogs will turn out to be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have always bought males...I like the big teddybear look to them.

Just remember...they are cute but Golden pups can be very destructive and difficult. They need time and training. I get them as pups but I usually can't wait for them to grow up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Difference between male and female dogs

I have a male golden. When he urinates, he goes on shrubs and bushes etc.
He has killed many plants in my garden because of this. Females however urinate on the grass leaving nice brown spots all over your lawn. So you must decide which one you can deal with more.

Honni:)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great input! I still haven't decided for sure, now I'm not even sure actually whether the sex of the Golden makes any real difference?
I am planning to spay or neuter and not to go to any shows or anything like that... I just want a companion.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would suggest that after you find a responsible breeder, View the puppies without any bias on gender. Then you can pick the pup with the temperment that suits you, it may be either sex, but you will probably go away with an idea of which pup you favour. When I got my girl Meg I only had the choice of two girls, both equally as beautiful as the other, but with very different outlooks, one shy and, well, Meg who just wouldn't leave me alone!

·
Registered
16 Posts
A bitch is a bitch

Kiagi, I just have one very truthful piece of advise....A bitch is a bitch. Female dogs act alot like female humans. They tend to be a little stroppy and fussy and sooky. Male dogs arn't. They are simple creatures with simple needs. Just like human men :p.

I don't say this in a derogotory sense at all. It's just the truth. Usually, the BIG diff between m vs f dogs is males are more aggressive, but in Goldens this is not the case. So, because there arn't any major differences between sex, you should choose based on look and temprement, pedigree, etc. That's what's really important anyways. Happy choosing! :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have both a male and female golden. When I asked my breeder about what sex were the most loving, she actually said her male was closer to her than her females. If she was outside gardening, it would be the male sitting next to her, helping her, LOL, and the females would be off doing their own thing.

Jessie was not as close to me when she was younger, but now that she's 3, she seeks me out more. Shadow has always been very close to me, since puppyhood. If Jessie comes up to me for a pat, he's there,pushing her out of the way, and nosing up to me.

I know Jessie has a more 'domineering' nature, and when Shadow came along, she took a dislike to our Border collie all of a sudden. They'd been best buddies for a year and a half, and since Shadow's arrival, Jessie dislikes Bonnie even being around. Sadly, there's been a couple of instances where Jessie has pounced on Bonnie, and we've had to keep them separated, Bonnie now living at a friends house.

She's never gone for any of us, and we've had an animal behaviour expert out as well, it was very scary at the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Male or Female??

Personally having several of both I find the males more laid back.

Ensure that you are buying from a "reputable" breeder. The breeder should be someone with many years of experience behind them and not "first timers".
Meet both the mom and dad if possible. If you are relying on your breeder assist in the choice buy utilizing their experience and directing you to the dog who best suits your family situation. I was steered away from "my" pick of a litter because that boy was dominant and the breeder knew I wanted only a very laid back companion who had to fit into a multi dog household.

My only suggestion is to allow the experience of a breeder who is focused on the betterment of the breed and it's endearing qualities to assist you in your decision.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had two females and one male. They were/are all very loving and sweet.

But the male (Shane) is my constant companion - much more so than my last female (Nala) who was pretty independent. My first golden female (Desi) was a real sweetheart too - the best behaved of any of them. But Shane is never more than a few feet away from me. He's a very good cuddler!

·
Registered
20 Posts
male vs female

My male is not only the most handsome on the block, but he's easily trainable, loveable and protective of me; what more can you ask for? I think it depends on the individual, not the sex.
Good luck! You will fall in love with whatever you choose I'm sure. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reading everyones comments one point in common that I must confess I have found; females can be "bitchy"...

In a multi dog household you know who rules..yep, the ladies.

An important point that I believe has not been touch upon. Wherever possible buy "home raised". These pups will have been exposed to everyday sounds; tv, kettle, doorbell, pans falling etc. Having purchased a kennel pup as well as home raised and you truly see the difference. Nothing phases my youngest; he was exposed to all of the above in his first weeks.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Time to put in my two cents. I have had two male goldens and they are the best. I've had female dogs of other breeds and they've been dominant and stubborn (2 mixed breeds and 1 cocker spaniel). My breeder told me that she prefered the male dogs and I couldn't understand it until I got my Mojo. He's so laid-back and cuddly and he was home-raised.
From the time he was 10 days old my hubby, myself and one of our daughters would go to the breeders and sit on the floor for 3 hours and let 6 little puppies (4 male & 2 female) climb all over us. Every week Hal would change his mind on the dog he wanted (we had first pick of a male). Every week we saw a change in their personalities. It finally came down to two dogs. We had already been there for an hour while he was trying to make up his mind and the next person was there to choose her dog. He closed his eyes, felt a little dog on his foot and he said "I'll have to take my little buddy here". It was the runt of the litter. When we looked back through all the pics we took we noticed that it was Mojo that had always climbed up on Hal or had snuck behind him to fall asleep. It was just meant to be and we've not looked back since. Mind you, it's become my job to do the training, grooming and playing with the dogs but I expected that. :wavey:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think it's just a matter of preference. I really don't have a preference at all...I love both. I have a male Golden now, and a female pup coming in August.

This is what I have heard: Males are more drawn to one person whereas females are everyone's dog. I find this true with my males. He is very much my dog, he is very, very attached to me, almost obsessed with being around me. I call him my velcro dog. He isn't like this with anyone else in my family (I am married and have 2 children). He always has to be by my side!

I have never owned a female Golden before, so I don't have any input on the female aspect...yet! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Male or Female

I have had a male named Rusty and now have a female named Missy. I find the male Golden's say....... I love you, and are sympathetic to your needs. Missy on the other hand says........Love me, love me, and I want all of the attention. Either one, and golden lives to please their guardian. Enjoy either one.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts