Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting and researching and waiting for a a puppy for a VERY long time. I've posted before with my many concerns about crating a puppy and balancing work into the picture. As a nurse I have options for my work schedule and have come to the conclusion that I will have to sacrifice normal regularity for the love of a golden. We are picking up our little darling the 29th of January. I'm going to work the midnight shift for all of February, which means 12am - 8am. I will work every weekend. I will take a vacation day each week with my two days off together, so I'll have three days off together to be with our puppy. On the nights I work, my family will take care of the puppy. I'll get home around 8:30am and take care of getting the pup out, fed, out again and into the crate for our nap time. I'm hoping to sleep from 9:30am - 1:00pm. Then get up and outside and fed and play/exercise and walk. Pick up my son from school at 2:35. I pick up my older son from his high school which is a 40 minute one way ride, three afternoons a week, as we carpool with two other families. I will eventually get back to sleep around 7pm to about 1030pm. I'm thinking I will have to do this sort of arrangement until June and school is out. I'd love to hear what sacrifices others are making to make having a golden a priority in your life.
Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been wanting and researching and waiting for a a puppy for a VERY long time. I've posted before with my many concerns about crating a puppy and balancing work into the picture. As a nurse I have options for my work schedule and have come to the conclusion that I will have to sacrifice normal regularity for the love of a golden. We are picking up our little darling the 29th of January. I'm going to work the midnight shift for all of February, which means 12am - 8am. I will work every weekend. I will take a vacation day each week with my two days off together, so I'll have three days off together to be with our puppy. On the nights I work, my family will take care of the puppy. I'll get home around 8:30am and take care of getting the pup out, fed, out again and into the crate for our nap time. I'm hoping to sleep from 9:30am - 1:00pm. Then get up and outside and fed and play/exercise and walk. Pick up my son from school at 2:35. I pick up my older son from his high school which is a 40 minute one way ride, three afternoons a week, as we carpool with two other families. I will eventually get back to sleep around 7pm to about 1030pm. I'm thinking I will have to do this sort of arrangement until June and school is out. I'd love to hear what sacrifices others are making to make having a golden a priority in your life.
Thanks
I am a nurse as well and I think the 12 hour shifts will help with our 7 week old new puppy Payton. On the days I am off I have been confined to my house and putting in a ton of time with Payton. When I work my wife will be there for him b/c she works a 9 to 5 and in between our in laws will come over mid day to play, feed and let him out.

So the only sacrifice I had to make thus far has been a little sleep time (due to the late night urges to void) and spending all my time at home on my off days (which isn't half bad).

As a nurse I know you are busy and sleep is especially important with our profession, so just be prepared to be patient!
:--sleep:

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Getting up every 3 hours for a month. 5 bucks a work day to have someone let him out to potty and spend some times with him. Woodwork in my kitchen, my deck and a chair. Oh yes, many clothes ruined with little holes in them. Etc. etc.

Worth every bit though!! It sounds like you really have a great mindset and plan for when the puppy comes home. That is so good to see!! I think everything will work out great - just remember you may have to get up every 2 to 3 hours as well to let the puppy out to potty in the beginning. Your puppy will be a land shark so expect your clothing bill to go up. All worth it though!! Best of luck!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I hope you are lucky as us with the potty breaks at night. Bailey right fromt the beginning was sleeping 5-6 hours straight without any accident. The first two months she was sleeping until 5.30-6.30am and now she sleeps often until 7.30-8am.

I stayed home all day the first week we got her to get her used in little steps to the crate. I can't really leave the house longer then a few hours so that's a sacrifice and also some of my t-shirts - puppy teeth are so sharp. Since she's 5 month old she has her adult teeth, she's still mouthy but I am not getting any holes anymore.

Good luck with your new addition!

PS: Bailey is right now at the clinic to get spayed...

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I have said this before but I really believe it. You put out the love, affection, training and food. They must make reasonable contributions that they may not like (time in the crate). It sounds like you are ready. The key is dont feel guilty, just do the best you can. Yes, at first you need to be totally committed to getting home to get the babe out of the crate, but it is over quick and then they just need their walk, food and love. Good luck!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Blondie, I think you will do a terrific job raising your puppy and this is why - you have done your homework, you have thought it through, and you have a plan. You are willing to give of yourself - to do whatever it takes. It will come back to you, ten-fold. You will see.

That is what it takes. Sometimes I get comments from friends - how could you have three dogs (yes I have three : ) And then they go on about all the inconveniences. And I think to myself - yes, thank goodness you do not have a dog. You are not able to extend yourself to another living being.

Raisng our pups has been one of the most gratifying experiences of our family life. We do it together - we are concerned for the well-being of our dogs - together. We love and enjoy them - together.

I see that in you - just in this post. I think you are great. I wish you well - you can do this : )

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I guess the biggest sacrifice I make in order to have my dogs is financially. They are a BIG drain on my expendable income LOL Of course they don't have to be as big a money pit as they are... I don't HAVE to buy them new cute collars, I don't HAVE to buy them new toys all the time. It makes me happy to do so :) But even just their necessities add up quite a bit, as we all know.

I am not wealthy in any way. I live basically paycheck to paycheck. My mom just about had a conniption when I told her I got a puppy because she felt I didn't need to have that kind of financial responsibility at this point in my life. The truth is though, I am unable to be happy without a pet in my life. If I have to sacrifice a portion of my paycheck each month to ensure that I can have these two furballs in my life and so they are well taken care of, and not lacking anything, so be it. They take care of me just as much as I take care of them. :)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Just make sure to take care of yourself too. A split shift sleep like that will catch up to you over time.

My freedom is probably the biggest sacrifice I've made. Any time I leave the house I have to figure out what the latest is I can come back, and I have to make sure I am always back by that time. I have had to skip out on a lot of things because I was coming up the deadline for getting back to the dogs. But I miss them when I'm gone all day anyway.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I work from home and I don't have a set schedule, so that was never really an issue when Tucker was a puppy, but there was definitely the getting up in the middle of the night and really early in the morning for potty runs as well as not being able to leave the house for too many hours at a time because we didn't want to leave him in his crate for too long. There is also traveling. In the spring and summer, we tend to travel quite a bit and we can't always take the dogs with us, but we do try to take them as often as we can since we have a big enough car. However, depending on where we're going and for how long, it's just not always possible. Our almost 11-year-old German Shepherd doesn't really travel very well anymore because of her arthritis, so we usually put her in the kennel since she loves it there. They even have a suite for senior dogs, which is very nice.

We'll be bringing our new puppy home in just under 2 weeks, which will put us at 2 Goldens, so we're getting ready to do the whole puppy thing all over again, but it's totally worth it to us and we think it's perfect timing for Tucker since he's 17 months old. DH is a nurse as well at a psychiatric hospital and he works overnights, so he'll be doing the early morning potty runs with Tyson when he gets home from work around 7:30 in the morning, which will be a huge help to me since I'm not really a morning person!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
It sounds like you have thought thing through very well. Those first couple of months are trying but it is a big downhill slide after that. In Oakly's first couple of months I had to slip home from work during coffee breaks and lunch. After that it was just my normal half hour lunch. Nowadays I have to think more carefully about travel plans but so far I've faired quite well in finding accomodations.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
It's great that you've put so much thought and planning into it, ahead of time. It sounds like you have everything worked out.

I guess my biggest sacrifice (if I could even call it that) would have been for Riley. I had to completely reset my internal clock for this little knucklehead. I'd been a nightowl since the day I was born and working from home for the past couple years, being able to set my own hours, only made it worse. It got to the point where it was impossible for me to get to sleep before 2am. I was still getting up early though, so I was functioning on auto pilot, trying to catch naps here and there so I wasn't a total zombie. Then along came Riley. Riley's an earlybird. From day one, he's been wide awake and ready to go at 5am, out like a light by 11:00pm. I realized pretty quickly that functioning on 3 hours' sleep wasn't really an option, and I figured it would be easier to reset my clock than it would be to reset his. Since he's come along, I don't think I've been awake past 11:30 more than once or twice. It's been nothing but good for me though, so like I said, I don't think I could really call it a sacrifice.

There's the financial aspect too, of course. They're both on higher-end foods, Gunner has a condition that's fairly expensive to manage, Riley's on pricey joint supplements, the new toys all the time (because they're spoiled) etc. I became "low maintenence" real quick. lol. I'll do without, but my boys won't.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I think you'll be surprised how fast those puppy sacrifices just either go away because they grow up so fast or just become a way of life. When Hank came home, we hadn't had a puppy around here in 13 years. All of a sudden we had baby gates, potty runs in the wee hours, puddles to clean up, chewing and feeding schedules to deal with. Hank is not quite 6 mos. and all but the baby gates are gone. Christmas Eve I was out from 5pm - 11:30pm with no problems. It seems like yesterday I was carrying him outdoors every 20 min. to potty.

Those few months of sacrifice will pale in comparison to what your dog gives to you in his/her lifetime!

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Marlene, I'm in the same boat financially speaking, and I do not regret a single penny of it. Or a single piece of furniture or clothing or minute of effort. I swear that they give me SO MUCH MORE than I give them....yes, I make the financial sacrifice, but the love and devotion I receive from them is one of the biggest blessings of my life. :)

I guess the biggest sacrifice I make in order to have my dogs is financially. They are a BIG drain on my expendable income... But even just their necessities add up quite a bit, as we all know.

I am not wealthy in any way. I live basically paycheck to paycheck. The truth is though, I am unable to be happy without a pet in my life. If I have to sacrifice a portion of my paycheck each month to ensure that I can have these two furballs in my life and so they are well taken care of, and not lacking anything, so be it. They take care of me just as much as I take care of them. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Good luck. We are just six weeks into the experience--brand new--and we're older "parents" too.... I agree that for us without any children especially it's the loss of freedom and the initial exhaustion. Thankfully, Maggie was sleeping 5 to 6 hours a night after a week and now is going longer than that. We know we were lucky on that account. But puppies need constant supervision and one or both of us is always keeping vigil while she's active. That's a mental exhaustion I can't say we could prepare for. However, we just posted pictures of her on the day she came home. She's a puff ball compared with a lanky, energetic, young pup today. Where did that tiny pup go? So hang in there... it goes fast and you sound very organized. All your planning will pay off!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts