Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Here's a question.... what ever happened to freedom of speech down there in the "Land of the Free"???
It's alive and well, but it applies to the actions of the US Government: "Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech."

Private organizations are free to set standards for conduct that govern the exercise of speech. At GRF, we have clearly stated rules about speaking respectfully, about not being rude and nasty, and about what topics are allowed or not allowed.

Personally, I preferred it when political discussions were allowed. But as long as they are not allowed, I prefer that the PD rule apply to all persons equally. Equal protection under the law (or in this case, the rules) is another American value.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Sorry to all but I am so swamped at work and can only stick this short post in here for now.

Basically what Penny's Mom mention above is what is done. Bans of any kind we do as last resorts, after warning may have not worked (unless you are a spammer).

Also please know we will not ever discuss warnings or banning on the board. I know in the past with other Admins this was done a few times. I personally feel what is discussed between a member and the Mod team is only a concern of these parties. I know if the shoe was on the other foot I would not want something in public that I may have been warned or banned over. So fear not, this will not change.
Thanks, Rob! I appreciate your taking the time. If you have a chance later to clarify more, that would be great, but I think this is quite helpful. Sorry I missed it originally.

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
And thanks to you, Tippykayak, for opening this thread and patiently shepherding it through. As a relative newbie, I've been curious about the processes but figured I didn't have the standing to ask. I hope Rob will have both the time and the inclination to post more later.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
And thanks to you, Tippykayak, for opening this thread and patiently shepherding it through. As a relative newbie, I've been curious about the processes but figured I didn't have the standing to ask. I hope Rob will have both the time and the inclination to post more later.
No problem. However, I think all members are entitled to exactly the same standing, regardless of how long they've been here. The only exception to that would be brand new members who have not yet shown they aren't trolls are spammers. Once that low threshold is passed, we should all have to follow the same rules and should be able to ask the same questions, no matter how long we've been here.

·
Registered
20,993 Posts
Can Moderators/Administrators go in and read our PMs? Is that what was meant by a mod. stepping in when some PMs got heated?
Also, I have a problem with a Moderator and/or Administrator ignoring PMs from forum members. There is a button there to acknowledge receipt of the PM, if the sender requests it, without even taking the time to reply and I think at the very least that should be done. It makes me feel bad that I took the time to send a PM, and apparently no one took the time to read it. I realize people can be swamped with work, but clicking a "received" button truly isn't very time consuming.
edit to add...just for the record, I am not a chronic complainer nor do I send a lot of PMs to moderators/administrators. I have never reported another member for anything, have never complained about another member's post to a moderator/administrator, have only to my recollection sent 2 PMs to a moderator/administrator ever (other than social stuff) and neither was acknowledged.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
What I mean by Half-fast warning it this: I got warned once, gently, to knock off a pm exchange I was having with someone. That someone also got encouraged to log off for the night and cool down. Very civil, non-accusatory, a friendly reminder that the argument was without merit and should stop; that we should play nice. I quit, the other person quit, we made up and are friendly again. I'm glad the mod stepped in.
Were the private messages not 'private'? I don't get it. Why would the mods even know what was in the 'private messages'?

Sorry, hotel4dogs, I didn't see your post before I was typing mine. I certainly hope our PM's are not being read by the mods/admins. That's a direct violation of privacy, another forum got shut down because of a board owner reading members private messges.

·
Administrator
16,463 Posts
To answer your question if Mods/Admins can read PM's the answer is no. There have been times that a member here forwards a PM to a Mod/Admin if they are having issues of some sort. We generally encourage members to handle PM's on their own or add a member they are having an issue with on an ignore list.

As to how each Mod/Admin handles PMs I guess that is up to them. If I get a PM that is just being forwarded to me with information only, or someone just is stating something, I may not reply back if all it was is a read only. Other Mods/Admins may do the same as well.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Just wanted to comment to say that I absolutely love your new signature and avatar pictures!
Me too!! when I looked at the silhouette photo by the water I thought, Wow! (and want to try to take a photo at that angle with that light with my wet dog by the water myself someday!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Me too!! when I looked at the silhouette photo by the water I thought, Wow! (and want to try to take a photo at that angle with that light with my wet dog by the water myself someday!
Thanks!

It was jealousy of Jill's photos that led me to get up for a sunrise beach walk, and I love to play around with different lighting with the camera. I have about 100 utter failure photos for every good one like that. It's very little knowhow, a little experience, a ton of shots, and a ton of patience for going through them.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts