Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the new pup is doing good! She's starting to be less timid and the only problem i've had is no matter how tight I get her collar (without being too tight) she slips out of it.. but thats an easy fix.

Now my issue that i've never had to deal with before is the TV. I thought it was cute how when I first turned the TV on she looked at it with the sideways head action.
Not so cute now.... If she hears an odd sound from the TV or a cat or dog she goes nuts. She heard little kittens on the TV and she was looking EVERYWHERE for them (I guess it doesn't help that we have surround sound). Then on TV you hear dogs bark and she starts barking and wont even stop after they stop.

So uhm.. how do you train your dog to get along with the TV? lol

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
LOL I guess you will just have to be careful about the programs you watch. My guys go nuts when a door bell rings on TV. So I'm not much help.

For the collar problem you should look for a Martingale style collar. They can be adjusted quite loose but tighten to snug when the dog tries to back out of them. They work great and don't clench up a goldens beautiful mane.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL I guess you will just have to be careful about the programs you watch. My guys go nuts when a door bell rings on TV. So I'm not much help.

For the collar problem you should look for a Martingale style collar. They can be adjusted quite loose but tighten to snug when the dog tries to back out of them. They work great and don't clench up a goldens beautiful mane.
oh you were much help! I forgot about those collars!! We don't have any locally so i'll order online. I was thinking of a harness but I reeaalllyy don't think she'd like that and sometimes I'm in a hurry to leave and don't want to sit there and try to wrestle her into one. The other option was a chain and I hate those things. Now i'm happy :)

Today we went to the dog park for the first time (just got her monday). No dogs were there but there were a lot of people. She growled at a mad who had a hood on and looked creapy..I let her do that lol But then some older woman went running by and she went nuts. Hair stood up and the barking would not stop. So I put her on the leash and held her by me when the lady went by. I'd let her watch until she made a sound then I distracted her for a bit.. then let her watch. I was telling her it's ok. Somehow that worked. The lady went by again and she just watched.

Didn't work with the TV....
It's slightly odd since the REAL cat was meowing at her last night and she just looked up. She hears them on TV and it's a different reaction.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
When she starts to bark, tell her hush or quiet. Then when she stops give her lots of praise. She will start to get it but it just takes time. And my pups to this day still bark when they hear a doorbell on the tv. But that is the only thing.

·
Just Some Guy
296 Posts
What has worked for me, regarding the tv, is to tape a program with a lot of kitty sounds, and then "help" him look for the source of the sound. Look behind the tv, behind the couch, outside, etc. The pup should be able to tell by the volume and direction of the sound when he is "getting warmer" (as the kid's game calls it).

Eventually the pup will figure out that it is only in that funny box (tv) and can't get out, and that it is nothing to be concerned about.

With the doorbell, I chose one that has a distinctive sound. When a doorbell rang on the tv, I would take him to the door so that he could see that there was no one there.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts

Do make sure that you never leave a martingale style collar on your dog unattended. They are a hanging risk.

From the Lupine website (http://www.lupinepet.com/resources/FAQ.php#D3):

The Combo collar is designed specifically to prevent a dog from 'backing out' of its collar. It has a 'martingale' loop of webbing. When tension is applied via the lead, the martingale reduces the size of the collar. It's not an infinite amount of closure, as with a choke chain, but enough to prevent the dog from slipping out. Click here to see a picture of a Combo in use. The Combo collar should not be left on when the dog is off-leash or unsupervised. Wearing a Combo collar off-lead increases the potential for getting caught on some object, or even another dog's jaw.

To determine what size of Combo collar to use, measure around the widest aspect of the head and jaw, as well as the mid-point of the neck. Take whichever measurement is larger, and add in an additional 5% to ensure a comfortable fit.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Bridger is our lst dog who cares about TV (visual, not just sound). He would get so riled up about bull riding especially -- we sat, petted, talked "nice bull", just made him calm during animal episodes. He still intently watches & may give a bark - but no hysteria

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Caleb used to bark at the TV when he was just a couple months old. Eventually he just outgrew it. Whenever he gets spooked by something silly we say "check it out!" and then walk up to the object and encourage him to sniff it and stuff and praise him like crazy when he does. Not sure if that would help with your problem, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you :) I guess we'll be watching a lot of animal planet. lol
I guess it's a good thing I have the normal collar for her too then. I'll just leave the martingale style on her leash.

·
Registered
271 Posts
great thread, when a doorbell rings on tv my guy jumps up from a deep sleep and runs to every door in the house barking. got annoying watching sitcoms teh other night.

currently there is a commercial with all white dogs, different breeds, starts with a pyranese i think, ends with a lil white hairy lapdog thing, but they camera zooms right up to its head by the end of the commerical. on a 52" tv it's quite big, comet stares at the TV alert and growls, it's hysterical. wife wanted to rewind and play it over, i told her not to tease him...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts