Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I love Hayden to DEATH and I love how she likes to sleep with us in bed. BUT..... She has a VERY bad habit of being up at odd hours chewing on herself or randomly scratching. During the day she can sleep without doing this. When she's awake she'll randomly do it. Why is it so much at night? Maybe the heat being on more? Dry skin??
I'm about to tape her freakin' mouth shut lol she's so noisey!!

Would switching shampoo help? I'm using medicated shampoo i've used for a while and just had. Could switch to oatmeal or something?
If we nudge her she'll stop for a while so it's obviously not bothering her too much.

:(

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I don't really think it's the shampoo that's the issue. In fact, if she has dry skin, I would bathe her less often. I would also suggest putting a humidifier in your bedroom. That can help quite a bit since having the heat on can really dry out the air. We have a few humidifiers in our house and they have made a huge difference. You can even try adding some fish or salmon oil to her diet.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Humidifiers, Omega 3 oils and I use a cream conditioner after the bath. Mine do not have dry skin and almost never scratch. I think the high humidity is the biggest helper.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How long will she sleep during the day? I doubt it is 6-8 hours like you expect her to do at night. When she wakes at night she scratches out of boredom. It may also have something to do with having dry skin, in which case DO NOT use a flea shampoo, use an oatmeal shampoo and do not shampoo often at all. Goldens rarely need shampooing. I often only shampoo Bailey's feet and tummy and just wet the rest and use a doggy spray conditioner.

Bailey sleeps in a crate because otherwise she and her "brother" with get up and start playing at odd hours of the night. I also do not want her to chew anything... Bailey and I both sleep better when she is in a crate :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I definitly notice Buddy scratches more during the winter months but I understand what you mean about bed time. We recently remodeled our master bathroom and needed to stay in the guest room. The bed isn't as high so Buddy jumped up with us every night. As soon as he settled in, he went to town scratching, licking, nibbling and then chewing the blanket. It drove me crazy and usually resulted in him being removed from the bedroom altogether. It's because of that (and all the hair) he's not allowed to sleep on our bed anymore. The humidifier is a great idea but try keeping her out of your bed for a few nights and see if you notice a difference

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I try to bathe her every other week (although that doesn't happen since I have to chase her and carry her into the tub lol) She's outside during most days while we're at work so she's not the best smelling dog... I noticed all of the sprays I use on her just make her smell fruity but bad lol Heck even if she goes outside for a few min she always comes back smelling icky.
:(

I'll try the humidifier thingy.. wanted one for me anyways.

And she doesn't sleep on the bed every night. I guess sometimes it's too hot so she lays on the tile in the front room by the door. I still hear her scratch or "nomming on herself" at night lol

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I noticed all of the sprays I use on her just make her smell fruity but bad
That could be a big contributor to the scratching. I would stop using sprays on her and only bathe her when she really needs it. We only bathe our dogs once or twice a month at the most during the winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts