Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow's the day for Maisie's lap spay and gastropexy. I know it's all routine, but I'm a bit nervous. It's not such a nice present for her 7 month birthday.

We had fun outings yesterday and today to the dog park where she got completely muddy since she won't get much exercise or to play with her doggie friends for 10 days or so. I've stocked up on a few puzzles and quiet toys, hoping to keep her occupied.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Good luck. We just had our puppy spayed at 6 months and I wish I could tell u it's easy.....keeping her calm was very tough. But we made it. No wrestling with other dogs for one month

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks... and Pain Meds for 12 Days?

...for your thoughts. We're home with a well, but sleepy pup. She's had something to drink and a bit to eat, but is mostly sleeping in off for now. Poor thing looks sort of sad and silly with her partially shaved belly. The incisions are very small, so I expect her to be getting back to normal soon. (I was surprised that the vet surgeon gave me pain medication for 12 days -- ??)

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Glad everything went well! If she doesn't need all the pain meds, just don't give any to her and save it for something down the line. I got 4-8 days worth for Beamer. I only used 1/2 the dose (that's how I got 8 days) and he only got it for 4 days and seems fine today.

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yay Beamer! Maisie wants to play...

Glad Beamer is doing do well. Maisie is just fine -- too fine(!) already. Except for taking the steps to her "potty spot" slower than usual which is just as well, she's ready to romp, so we're already to the point of trying to keep her quieter than she'd like to be. We used the full doses of the pain meds today and will probably do so tomorrow just to be cautious, but I'll be surprised if she needs any beyond that. Her incisions are very small.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
So glad to hear Maisie is doing well. Amazing how fast they seem to get over this. The hardest times for me was trying to keep my girls down for the time recommended for them to totally heal. Good luck with the days ahead and so glad this is behind you.

Reactions: jluke

·
Mia's mom
154 Posts
Glad to her Maisie is doing well. We had our Mia spayed on Tuesday. I will have to say it is very hard to keep her quiet and from jumping. Vet gave us pain meds for three days. Today was the last day. She hates wearing the cone but it is best. She is in her crate and I don't want her to get bored and start chewing at her sutures (spelling) and ripping them out. Good Luck in the days ahead.

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks...

...Golden Lady. I didn't know that Mia was wearing a cone. Since Maisie had a lap spay, her incisions are tiny and internal and her gastropexy incision is glued, not stitched (which surprised me). Anyway, she doesn't have to wear the dreaded cone. I am keeping track of her to make sure she doesn't lick the incisions though. She's started trying to jump for joy again -- so the "fun" supervision has begun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts