Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a kitty litter issue that is :) We just got our kitten in the last month. I have caught him at the litter box lots of times before I had to gate it off. He is obsessed with the kitty poo! I have been cleaning the box as soon as I know he goes, which right now is once a day. We got a covered litter bo today but I don't know if that will stop him. For those of you with kitties allso, what do you do??? I was thinking of a flushable clumping litter, but I don't know anything about them. Any suggestions????

It is hard enough to keep him away from the deer poo outside :)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I set the covered litter box on a low shelf near the cats food. It doesn't take much height to keep the dogs out of the box. Jo's idea is great too.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Our litter boxes are in the laundry room and the dogs are not allow down there. But we also keep a gate at the top of the stairs ( it is a plastic mesh gate and we cut a square out so the kitties can get thru but not big enough for the dogs..you can buy gates with kitty doors built in but it was cheaper to cut one up). I don't know why dogs think cat poop is a good snack but it's so gross! Good luck.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
we have a storage room that, due to flooding issues, has no drywall on a section, so the cat can go under the stairs and in. So I just keep the door shut. We also have a large rubbermaid type tote as a litterbox (the tall one), cat sized hole cut out near the top of it, so it's not as easy to snack out of - but it's awesome for cleaning and cheap.

Lana

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
When I had a cat I put its litter box in the bottom half of an old varikennel. I put that on top of one of the dog crates, and bungeed it so it couldn't be pushed off. No matter how hard the dogs tried they could not get into it.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Darn my first double post I think

·
Registered
869 Posts
Gee, I was thinking order him a pu pu platter from a Chinese place & maybe he will leave the cats alone.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
If you are fortunate enough to have an extra bathtub in the house you are not using, that is where I have our litter box. I partially close the shower doors and put a stick in the track to keep the dogs from pushing open the sliding doors and helping themselves.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
To some dogs it is a glorious treat and others ignore it.

Copper will go through anything to get to the litter box (or well, anything else he wants). Opening doors, tearing things up etc., but he does that anyway.:)

If you aren't sure Magoo won't be able to get to the litter box I recommend a natural litter since the clumping kind can cause real problems if Mr. Poo breath eats it.

Wonder how I know that?:doh:

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I am so lucky not to have a litterbox, A.J. is housebroke. Hank eats anything so I'm sure this would be a problem. I'm filing all these great ideas in my brain for future use!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I believe there is something you can feed the cat to make his poo less palatable.:yuck::yuck::yuck:

I think I saw it at PetSmart recently when I was browsing around. It might be worth a try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts