Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My special girl, Goldrun's Magic Maddie, crossed over the bridge last month. She was 14 1/2 years old, our oldest Golden ever! She died of cancer, although this was her third time with some form of cancer, she survived the others 2 mammary cancers by over 5 years. She was blessed and the best natural field dog I have ever owned and loved!

She was bred as a field Golden and had strong parents with Field titles. I did run her in hunt tests, which she excelled in, but I mainly wanted her as a family dog and hunting companion, both of which she did extremely well. I miss her everyday, and my eyes still tear up when I think of her.

Fortunately we have two other Golden's one is 12 and the other is 4, they are both also, great field bred Golden's, which helps us keep our loss in perspective.

The are such wonderful gifts to us, they are with us to short of a time...but the love they give us somewhat offsets the pain when we lose them. So that is what I am focused on... remembering all the special times we had together....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I am so sorry. It sounds like she had a great and long life with you.

·
Super Moderator
17,085 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss. If you would like Maddie's name added to The Rainbow Bridge List please let me know the date of her passing. Once again so sorry for your loss.

·
Super Moderator
17,085 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for putting Maddie on the post.

Unfortunately, our male Golden, Spirit, had to be put down in October due to cancer in his liver. He was a beautiful boy with long flowing hair and a gentle way about him. He was a slow working retriever with a great nose, accordingly when hunting, few birds could escape his discovery. He was a very strong swimmer and would never quit! He will be missed! We called him Spirit because he was almost born on Halloween, his call name for hunting was BOO!

HR Doublegold’s Spirit of Maximillian JH
Born 10/28/2006
Died 10/12/2019

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Our Goldens, two are now gone...

Thanks for your thoughts! Your Golden 'River' was a very beautiful dog.

I grew up in Gunnison from kindergarten through 8th grade. It was a magical place to grow up in, especially in the late 1950's and early 1960's! I saw Crested Butte grow up, especially in skiing. My wife and I try to visit the Valley each Summer, we still love the mountains and our Goldens also loved being in the mountains with us.

Unfortunately, our male Golden, Spirit, had to be put down in October due to cancer in his liver. I knew when we got him that he and Maddie were close enough in age that they could die close together, but at the time when I saw Spirit and his pedigree it was a risk I had to take.

He was a beautiful boy with long flowing hair and a gentle way about him. He was a slow working retriever with a great nose, accordingly when hunting, few birds could escape his discovery. He was a very strong swimmer and would never quit! He will be missed! We called him Spirit because he was almost born on Halloween, his call name for hunting was BOO!

In the picture Maddie is in front (Died 1/05/2019), Fox is next to my wife, and Spirit is behind my wife (Died 10/12/2019)

Born 10/28/2006
Died 10/12/2019

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,085 Posts
Thanks for putting Maddie on the post.

Unfortunately, our male Golden, Spirit, had to be put down in October due to cancer in his liver. He was a beautiful boy with long flowing hair and a gentle way about him. He was a slow working retriever with a great nose, accordingly when hunting, few birds could escape his discovery. He was a very strong swimmer and would never quit! He will be missed! We called him Spirit because he was almost born on Halloween, his call name for hunting was BOO!

Born 10/28/2006
Died 10/12/2019
I'm so very sorry to hear of the loss of your dear Spirit, I have added him to The Rainbow Bridge List x.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts