Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mac's Dad
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...
I am a 2 time Golden owner...my first "Shannon" I had for 14 years and my second "Nuggett" I had for 9 years 10 months ! I have been on the net for a long time and have read lots of stories about Goldens and their owners (parents)....Shannon collapsed while I was at work and my wife called to tell me she was at the vets...he couldn't walk or get up but when he heard my voice he did all he could do to try to greet me like he always did but he couldn't and I had to hush him and hold him ....There was no options...I had to put him down (horrible horrible ) but it was the right thing to do !

One year went by and my wife wanted another Golden but I just couldn't do it and I told my wife if she got one I wanted no part of him ...she was on her own. I was still thinking of my best friend in the whole world "Shannon" and I couldnt' let him go to the bridge !
Well lo and behold She got what she wanted (Nuggett) and I ignored any kind of emotional bonding ...I never did anything bad or wrong but I was not going to let Shannon go ...
After about 8 months after purchasing "Nuggie" my relationship with my wife went south and divorce was inevitable, after Nuggie was 13 months (we were married for 16 years) we decided she should leave but I told her Nuggie was staying because it was best for him ...I kept the house and had land for him to play on and she moved into an apartment ...anyway Nuggett made me whole again , his love and loyality and personality soon won me over and I was able to let Shannon go over the bridge...We soon became inseparatable and we had a bond that to this day was unbelievable, he was my life line until Veteran's Day 2009 when that dam cancer took him away from me ! (horrible horrible and more horrible) but getting the diagnosis 5 month earlier was the hardest news I had ever had to hear, that for me, was the worst because nothing could be done but keep him comfortable. Putting him down was totally neccessary because he had to go...he was very sick and it was time !!!!!!!!!

I have always kept in touch with Nuggies breeder thru out his life and when I told her Nuggie had cancer she was always a shoulder to air out my feelings....
The breeder has maybe 2 litters a year but not always, and she told me that her girl was breed and Nuggies father was in the line and would have a litter around Thanksgiving and if I wanted to, she would hold a boy for me.... this was 2 days before I put Nuggie down ...boy did I feel like I was throwing Nuggie under the bus !!!!! I still feel awful BUT I know I will always have a Golden in my life and because of the timing . I made the decision to bring home a new Buckaroo !!!!!
His Name will be "Mac" and I will pick him up Jan 16 at 11:00 am ...I am Half grieving and half thrilled to have a relative of Nuggie back in the fold !

Thanks for listening,
Mac's Dad

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Hi and welcome! It's so exciting for Nugget to have sent you a new love in your life. Can't wait to see some photos!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have found this place for the same reasons many of us here have. So sorry for your losses but I'm sure a golden puppy will go a long way in healing your broken heart.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Welcome from Canada......Thanks for sharing your story of your 2 goldens! Congratulations on baby Mac...look forward to seeing some pictures.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome,
Your story is very touching and does remind me of how my husband felt. He said when Beau passed on he didnt want another golden, it just hurt more when losing them. But I knew I couldnt live without a golden in my life. I talked the hubby into another golden (my Bama) before Beau passed away. We were blessed to have Beau two more years after getting Bama and my husband loved Bama but never really bonded with him like I did. But after Beau passed away Bama really helped my husband and they became the best of friends. And he told me he was so happy we had Bama because he really helped him. And he even let me foster during this time, so were blessed to have Daisy and Pawley as fosters also. Then Hubby really shocked me when he didnt want to let the fosters go so we now have three goldens.
Sorry so long winded.

I have always felt that one dog does not replace another. Each dog has a special place in your heart. Some larger but all are special in their own way. Mac will help you to heal and with him being a part of Nuggets line makes it meant to be. We would love to see pictures of all your pups.

·
Administrator
16,483 Posts
Welcome to the board.
I am sorry to hear of your losses and I know we all understand here how so hard it is to lose a Golden we hold so near and dear to our hearts. Keep us posted on your new addition (Mac) and take some pictures to post on the board of him when he soon comes home.

·
Mac's Dad
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

These are the boys Shannon and Nuggett from my story ...I pick Mac up at 11:00 Saturday pictures to follow !

Mac's Dad

P.S. Nuggett is the lighter one ! Sorry I'm New at posting Shannon at The Bridge 1999 and Nuggett at The Bridge 2009

Attachments

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Today is your puppy day! I hope it went well and that Mac is home safe and sound. We can't wait to see pictures!!!!!

·
Mac's Dad
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Everyone,
Here are some pictures hot off the presses....so far all is well ...except I won't ever need to wash my face again !

Mac'sdad

Attachments

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Aww, Mac is adorable.
Shannon and Nugget were beautiful too.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
awwww so cute. I love sleeping pictures.

They come to you when they should. No guilt necessary. Sometimes the stars align for that perfect moment and you two are to be.

Happy puppy time.

Sorry to hear about the loss your beloved Nuggett, a part of him- I'm sure- is in Mac. ANd Shannon as well.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
What a gorgeous pup!! Congratulations!!
And Shannon and Nugget were beautiful.
Please don't feel guilty for bringing another one home.
With the hearts these Goldens have, I am sure that Shannon and Nugget were involved with Mac's arrival.
Just remember, you are not replacing them, as they can never be replaced, you are just making room in your heart for another.

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
So very sorry about Shannon and Nugget, they were beautiful Goldens.
Now, how about your new Love, MAC, he is so precious, great pictures.....

·
Mac's Dad
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A few more of Mac

All is well ,my face is washed and my ear has been attacked ! ;) I think Shannon and Nuggett did have a say in this little guy coming home with me !
He is Grrrrrrrrrrreat!

Attachments

·
Mac's Dad
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yellow and Brown

Hi everyone,
all eliminations have been outside except 2 pee pees....3 great nites as far as the crating is concerned !
The breeder had all ready started the house breaking before I picked him up !
Nuggett was the same way ...Shannon was over all good as well ! It never ceases to amaze me how SMART ,loving and their need to be near we humans types Mac is always around my feet and moves when I move ....we will see how he does when I go back to work next week ,I have a support staff to come visit and let him out for pee pee breaks ...My other Goldens were fine and I hope Mac follows !

P.S. The picture was taken the minute I walked in the door of the breeders...made me feel that he was comfortable with me !
Mac also has 1 small black spot on his paw over his ankle ...I guess a Newfie gene must of snuck out .

Mac's Dad

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts