Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our almost 2-year-old pup, Macho, has a bit of a humping issue, but ONLY with his bed! He's never humped another dog, any person, or any other object. He is allowed to lay on the couch and he doesn't do it up there. The only thing that "excites" him is his bed.

Does anyone have any advice on how to stop this behavior? I know it's normal and not sexual, but his bed needs to be for sleeping--not getting excited and humping. He is neutered.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Try taking it away until its time to sleep on it?

My dog never really tried humping anything so I haven't much advice.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Well, his name is Macho. Sorry just couldn't help that. :)

·
Destroyer of Toys
101 Posts
Maybe this is his way of telling his bed that he owns it? Or maybe he just loves how comfy it is??? You could try a spray bottle. I use one of those Rubbermaid bottles that are kind of for industrial use. We have a guy that likes to bark at the door and anything on the other side of it. This bottle is great and, and it effectively sprays for about 4 feet. Perhaps some water on the tush will send the message to stop humping his bed!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Interrupt it every time. Repeat 557 times. Consistency is key. (And old habits die hard, especially those that tap into fixed motor patterns.)

Or take away the bed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts