Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 1 yr. old Golden, Payson has Lyme Disease. He was vaccinated, had booster, and wears Preventic collar; He went lame on front leg in early spring and was OK in a day--4DX (-); he again went lame on same front leg in August and was (+) for Lyme; He has been on Doxy for three weeks and we will continue for 6 weeks at a higher than recommended dosage. His test showed no protein in urine;C6 test--we were not told to go this B4 treatment was 732 after 4 wks. of Doxy. So we have no real baseline. For those of you who have gone through this, does this high number have significance other than a big antibody response is being mounted? If we do C6 in 6 mos., if result is half 732, do we assume treatment was successful? I know we have to continue to test. Can anyone help? He is our 3rd Golden and we have no experience with Lyme. Lyme is rather new to southern PA and vets do not have much practical experience here. Thanks from Payson!

·
Registered
21,127 Posts
bumping this up so some of the folks from Lyme Central see it and can respond

Reactions: rabidyankee

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I am also interested in finding out more. I have never seen a case of Lyme disease, even working in the field.
I am a bit worried now, reading the original posters findings with their Golden.
My Toby has been limping on and off on his right front leg and he has been on Rimadyl for it and we took more x-rays again on Wednesday without finding any explanation other than he probably has a bad sprain. He has also been vaccinated for Lymes and he did have bloodwork done in June, including a heartworm snap test that also tests for tick borne diseases. Everything came out negative. But who knows. I think I may just call my vet tomorrow and ask him if there is a possibility of lymes disease and maybe have Toby retested for it.

I read in my Merck manual that yes, vaccinated dogs can get lymes disease but the disease is not as bad in them. Also, a dog can get lymes post vaccination, if he was infected before he ever got the vaccine in the first place. Very interesting.

That said, I am pro lymes vaccine. I know there has been a controversy about the vaccine in the forum.

I am also waiting to hear what some of you that have had dogs with lymes disease can share.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our last GR lived to be 16 and had horrible hip dysplasia. He was on Deremaxx and he went from hobbling and not climbing steps and falling down to running like the wind and jumping into bed and no side effects like Rimadyl. He was on it over three years and all blood work was fine.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Thanks for your input. I have already been through hip displasia and cruciate ligament repair with my Golden. He had a FHO done on his left hip last December, 8 weeks prior to that he had TPLO on his right knee. He was on Metacam for three years before his hip gave out. He was put on Rimadyl during surgery recovery, because the Metacam was not working anymore.
He is on Rimadyl on his bad days, when he is too active or like now, when he is limping on his right front leg. He does not have arthritis in that leg, the x-rays ruled that out.
Since you were talking about your dog having an on and off again limp in the front leg, I am wondering about the possibility of a tick borne disease in my Golden. I will talk to my vet about that tomorrow. I thank you for that! :) It is worth checking into. It never occured to me to think tick borne.
I am hoping though, it is just a sprain, but you never know.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
bumping up

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Our 1 yr. old Golden, Payson has Lyme Disease. ... For those of you who have gone through this, does this high number have significance other than a big antibody response is being mounted? If we do C6 in 6 mos., if result is half 732, do we assume treatment was successful? I know we have to continue to test. Can anyone help? ...
Lyme is very treatable when identified/diagnosed and then monitored so that's the good news. Lyme is prevalent in my area. SO MANY dogs I know are Lyme positive and live completely normal lives.

My Chance was shown Lyme positive the first time he was tested at about a year old. I was so worried and had a ton of questions. Chance is 7 and has never showed outward symptoms. After much research and talking to people in the area and at agility etc I realized that as long as you continue to test, it should not get out of control.

Chance is tested every 6 months. I believe my vet would consider a C6 number that is half of what it was when he went on the Doxy, a good sign and that treatment was successful. 366 is still too high but if the number is coming down then I believe she would just test again in 3 - 6 months (providing there are no symptoms).

Some vets now don't treat Lyme in the absence of symptoms even with a high number. When Chance's number goes high after being lower (now going in the wrong direction) she will treat with 4 weeks of Doxy even though he doesnt have outward symptoms.

This has happened twice in the 6 years since he was diagnosed. I'm good with that approach because Chance tolerates the Doxy well.

I find at least a couple of attached ticks on Chance every year in spite of taking precautions. I figure that's how he gets reinfected. I feel lucky that he's so light that at least they're relatively easy to spot. In my area of upstate NY, Lyme is just something we've had to learn to live with. People too!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for the information. I feel better now knowing Chance is 7 and doing well even if he has had to be treated more than once and his C6 # is higher than normal;We all think our dog is the best, but Payson is such a cool dog and has all his obedience commands down with voice and hand signals and he heels like a robot off leash. We just hope the two limping incidents--symptoms--do not mean he is in worse off than dogs who do not display symptoms but test +.

·
and Luvtazz too
509 Posts
My guy developed Lymes even with the vaccine. Had lameness (intermittent) in his front leg. Was on a long course of doxy. Everything now looks OK. I found that Vectra works the best for Tick protection. We are in a horrible area for Lymes...central PA. There are even signs warning about Lymes. Both my neighbors tested postive (Bell's Palsy in one neighbor, knee pain in the other). I HATE those bugs.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
My guy developed Lymes even with the vaccine. Had lameness (intermittent) in his front leg. Was on a long course of doxy. Everything now looks OK. I found that Vectra works the best for Tick protection. We are in a horrible area for Lymes...central PA. There are even signs warning about Lymes. Both my neighbors tested postive (Bell's Palsy in one neighbor, knee pain in the other). I HATE those bugs.
This sounds EXACTLY like where I live. We do agility at a local training center surrounded by beautiful mountains and woods. In the past few years with the mild winters (like FEB), people have come into the building after taking the dogs on potty breaks and suddenly someone will call out "A TICK". Then everyone checks their dogs. Upstate NY - crazy!

And people too - bullseye rash, etc. My sister-in-law was initially misdiagnosed but continued to feel lethargic and got a 2nd opinionL LYME.
Took the doxy (years ago) and has been fine since.

So getting back to Payson, as long as his numbers are checked regularly, I am confident he will be fine. I worried an awful lot the first year or 2 but I just do the regular checks now and put it out of my mind in between. And we still hike in the woods - I couldn't let him miss that. He LOVES it.

Payson sounds like an AWESOME guy. Do you do any obedience competition? Chance and I do RALLY-O. It's a blast and Payson sounds like he could power through to Advanced Level in no time.

Don't worry and have fun with your awesome guy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts